[RELEASE] OSS driver 4.0.0 and DSE driver 2.0.0

Olivier Michallat

Mar 21, 2019, 5:16:23 PM3/21/19
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
We've just released the GA version of our next generation drivers.

There were a few breaking changes to the API since RC1, in order to address issues reported by early adopters:
- statement builder methods were renamed to setXxx, e.g. withPageSize => setPageSize (JAVA-2164). This makes it easier to convert code that creates statements to builders, since the method names do not change.
- we annotated statement setters with @CheckReturnValue (JAVA-2161), to stress the fact that ignoring their results is a programming error (they operate on immutable objects and return new instances every time). Note that you can configure ErrorProne in your build to automatically check for this.
- Statement.setTimestamp() was renamed to setQueryTimestamp() (JAVA-2143). This method sets the write time for mutations (like USING TIMESTAMP in CQL), not to be confused with BoundStatement.setInstant(), which sets a bound value corresponding to CQL type TIMESTAMP.
- our public API doesn't use wildcards in futures and optional return types anymore (JAVA-2192). The previous approach (e.g. CompletionStage<? extends AsyncResultSet>) caused typing issues in client code. Thanks to Scott Carey for reporting this.

The manual will be published to docs.datastax.com shortly. In the meantime, you can read it directly on GitHub here. In particular, we encourage you to take a look at the upgrade guide.

Here is the changelog for OSS 4.0.0:

- [improvement] JAVA-2192: Don't return generic types with wildcards
- [improvement] JAVA-2148: Add examples
- [bug] JAVA-2189: Exclude virtual keyspaces from token map computation
- [improvement] JAVA-2183: Enable materialized views when testing against Cassandra 4
- [improvement] JAVA-2182: Add insertInto().json() variant that takes an object in QueryBuilder
- [improvement] JAVA-2161: Annotate mutating methods with `@CheckReturnValue`
- [bug] JAVA-2177: Don't exclude down nodes when initializing LBPs
- [improvement] JAVA-2143: Rename Statement.setTimestamp() to setQueryTimestamp()
- [improvement] JAVA-2165: Abstract node connection information
- [improvement] JAVA-2090: Add support for additional_write_policy and read_repair table options
- [improvement] JAVA-2164: Rename statement builder methods to setXxx
- [bug] JAVA-2178: QueryBuilder: Alias after function column is not included in a query
- [improvement] JAVA-2158: Allow BuildableQuery to build statement with values
- [improvement] JAVA-2150: Improve query builder error message on unsupported literal type
- [documentation] JAVA-2149: Improve Term javadocs in the query builder

And DSE 2.0.0:

- [documentation] JAVA-2188: Document DSE load balancing policy
- [improvement] JAVA-2192: Don't return generic types with wildcards
- [bug] JAVA-2166: Use programmatic local datacenter in DSE LBP
- [improvement] JAVA-2018: Check backward compatibility with Revapi
- [improvement] JAVA-2190: Use `@CheckReturnValue` in DSE-specific types
- [bug] JAVA-2185: Handle DOWN nodes in DseLoadBalancingPolicy.init
- [documentation] JAVA-2068: Add documentation for the reactive request processor
- [improvement] JAVA-2156: Don't have ContinuousReactiveSession extend ReactiveSession

As usual, the driver is available from Maven:

<dependency>
  <groupId>com.datastax.oss</groupId>
  <artifactId>java-driver-core</artifactId>
  <version>4.0.0</version>
</dependency>

<dependency>
  <groupId>com.datastax.oss</groupId>
  <artifactId>java-driver-query-builder</artifactId>
  <version>4.0.0</version>
</dependency>

<dependency>
  <groupId>com.datastax.dse</groupId>
  <artifactId>dse-java-driver-core</artifactId>
  <version>2.0.0</version>
</dependency>

<dependency>
  <groupId>com.datastax.dse</groupId>
  <artifactId>dse-java-driver-query-builder</artifactId>
  <version>2.0.0</version>
</dependency>

And from our download servers:

--

The Java driver dev team

Olivier Michallat

Mar 21, 2019, 6:57:54 PM3/21/19
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Here are the links to the published documentation:

The contents are the same, it's just more nicely formatted.

--

Olivier Michallat

Driver & tools engineer, DataStax

Joe Payne

Apr 3, 2019, 12:37:09 PM4/3/19
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
The last comment I saw about the updated mapper support was back in November.  Any eta on when support for dse 2.x will include the mapper?

Olivier Michallat

Apr 5, 2019, 1:45:53 PM4/5/19
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Hi,

The mapper is scheduled for 4.1.

We don't commit to specific release dates, but I can tell you that it's high on our priority list, so as a general estimate I would say weeks to a couple of months max. You can follow the progress on JAVA-2078.

--

Olivier Michallat

Driver & tools engineer, DataStax

Jatin Shah

May 1, 2019, 3:13:07 PM5/1/19
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List

It will be nice to have one sample java code that explains how to connect to a remote cluster (as a client).  The guide does not provide any sample config.conf, config.json or config.properties where I have to specify a remote cluster. This is very confusing.

A Simple example GitHub code (along with simple configuration) will be helpful & appreciated.

Jay

Alexandre Dutra

May 2, 2019, 10:14:45 AM5/2/19
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
Hi Jay,

Have you had a look into our examples?

Let us know if they helped or if you still need further assistance.

Thanks,

Alexandre

datastax_logo.png

Alexandre DUTRA

Driver & Tools Engineer | alexand...@datastax.com

linkedin.png facebook.png twitter.png g+.png

Dhananjay Joshi

Jun 17, 2019, 8:59:48 PM6/17/19
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
When are you guys planning to release the mapper? If it is not in the near future, do you recommend using any external column mappers?