Upcoming@Jacobs: fall Maker Pass & JPS registration, back to school events, Innovation Catalysts, Jacobs Student Advisory Board, and more

Amy Dinh

Aug 17, 2022, 10:37:46 PM8/17/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

As promised, this week's newsletter is full of opportunities, updates, and announcements for the start of the semester. Please read below to learn more about how to register for Maker Pass and JPS, back to school events you can join, applications for our grant program and student advisory board, and some repeat reminders from last week about other jobs, events, and course opportunities.

For those interested in the Innovation Catalysts grant program, take note that the application is due in two weeks (August 31st)--you still have time to apply if you start soon!

Best,

Amy

MAKER PASS & JPS REGISTRATION OPEN
The moment many of you have been waiting for is here--Maker Pass and JPS registration for the fall semester are now open.

The Maker Pass grants hands-on equipment access. All currently active UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff, from any department, are eligible to register. Individuals who are in Jacobs-affiliated courses or programs, or conducting faculty-sponsored research, are able to register for a Maker Pass at any point during the semester. A limited number of Community Maker Passes are also available on a first come, first served basis for students, staff, and faculty who do not already qualify for a Maker Pass through one of the aforementioned avenues.

JPS is a parts fabrication service run by Jacobs staff. Access to JPS is free and also open to the whole campus community; a brief registration is required.

Please note the following updates to the Maker Pass program for this year:
  • The standard Maker Pass fee was increased from $100/semester to $125/semester; the Research Maker Pass fee was also increased from $250/semester to $313/semester. The Maker Pass fee allows students access to all of the prototyping labs and resources available in Jacobs Hall and the CITRIS Invention Lab, as well as Davis Hall Welding and the Cory Student Shop. The fee covers the consumables that we provide to Maker Pass holders free of charge, makerspace staff salaries, as well as maintenance & replacement costs for equipment used by Maker Pass holders. The Maker Pass fee was last increased three years ago and operational costs have continued to rise over that time. Although the Jacobs Institute has and will continue to heavily subsidize the cost of the Maker Pass, we must increase the fee to bring the subsidy back to the level it was prior to the increase in expenditure.
  • The Jacobs Institute remains committed to ensuring that the makerspace is accessible to students with financial need, and so we have expanded/streamlined our need-based financial support programs in the following ways:
    1. We continue to offer full ($125) and partial ($63) Maker Pass fee waivers to individual students.
    2. We expanded the list of aid programs that make a students eligible for a fee waiver; these include BIO's Undergraduate/Graduate Tuition and Fees Grants, and the Basic Needs Center's Holistic Fund.
    3. We have added more information about the fee waiver program, rationale, and eligibility criteria to the Get a Maker Pass website and the registration form, in order to increase transparency and understanding.
    4. We have combined our materials costs support program with our fee waiver request form. Students who qualify for a Maker Pass fee waiver will automatically have up to $25 will be waived for materials cost from their Jacobs Materials Store balance, without needing to complete a separate form. Students who register for JPS will also be able to submit a materials cost support request on the same form instead of without going to a separate form.
    5. We continue to run the Club Maker Pass program, which allows student groups to purchase Maker Passes for their members at 50% of the standard fee ($63/student). Club Maker Pass application reviews start on August 31st and the deadline to submit is September 16th.
JACOBS BACK TO SCHOOL EVENTS
We look forward to welcoming both new and returning members of the campus design community to Jacobs Hall for the start of the 2022-2023 school year. You are cordially invited to join us at any or all of our back to school events. Below is a summary of planned activities; get full details on our back to school news post. See you there!
  • 8/19: Jacobs table @ GBO Campus Department Resource Fair
  • 8/26, 8/30, 8/31, and 9/1: Design Resources @ Jacobs Hall Building Tour
  • 9/2 Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation Info Session
  • 9/2 Design [Fair] at Berkeley
  • 9/2 Campus Makers' Crawl
  • 9/9 Jacobs Makerspace Open House
  • 9/23 First Gen/Undocu Student Orientation
INNOVATION CATALYSTS GRANT PROGRAM -- APPLY BY AUGUST 31
Each semester the Jacobs Innovation Catalysts student grant program supports student ideas and projects with up to $2000 of funding and other support. If you've been dreaming up a new concept or would like to continue working on a recent project, consider applying to join our next cohort!

We support a wide range of projects at the intersection of design and technology innovation, reflecting the multitude of talents and interests in the Jacobs community. The program is open to all current Berkeley students, including both undergraduates and graduates.

Applications are due Wednesday, August 31st at 11:59pm. Learn more on the grant webpage and sign up to get key grant program announcements.

JOIN THE 2022-2023 JACOBS STUDENT ADVISORY BOARD
The Jacobs Student Advisory Board helps to ensure that student opinions, needs, and interests are taken into account during our strategic planning and program development. We are looking for individuals who represent diverse perspectives from our student community. Applications to join the 2022-23 Jacobs SAB are due by Monday, September 5th, at 11:59pm.

NOW HIRING STUDENT SUPERVISORS
We are hiring new students to join the Jacobs Student Supervisor team this fall semester! Student Supervisors are responsible for helping the Jacobs Hall makerspace run smoothly and safely. The job description is posted in two places and you can also apply through both platforms:
For more information, please visit our Student Roles at Jacobs page.

NEW FALL COURSE: DES INV 190 DESIGNING YOUR PROFESSIONAL PORTFOLIO
The Jacobs Institute is launching a new short course this fall: DES INV 190: Designing Your Professional Portfolio. Having a great portfolio is key to landing a job in the design profession. This course aims to help get a student’s portfolio off the ground by showing good and bad examples, strategies on creating impressions for reviewers, and a step-by-step guide on how to put one’s first portfolio together. We will review/critique student portfolios together as a way to learn and build up on each other’s work. Students will receive additional feedback from design professionals and guest reviewers on how to refine and push their portfolios past the first finish line.

This one-unit course will be taught by Purin Phanichphant on Fridays over 8 weeks this fall (September 9 - October 28). Enrollment/participation (including # of auditors) is limited and requires an applicationApplications are due by Friday, September 2. Learn more on this one page overview

STUDENT GROUP LEADERS: REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DESIGN [FAIR] AT BERKELEY

The Design [Fair] at Berkeley is a platform for Berkeley clubs, decals, and design-related organizations to share what they do for students interested in learning and exploring design. The event is being organized by Design@Berkeley and hosted at Jacobs Hall.

Please fill out this form if you are a club or decal interested in participating, and D@B will contact you soon with details: https://forms.gle/Kr6BipghokcKQZTBA

Sign-ups are due August 19 11:59 PM PST

Date: Friday, Sept 2, 2022

Time: 10am to 2pm PST

Where: Jacobs Hall 310 (in-person)

Contact: @designatberk on Instagram

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here