Design opportunities digest - April 19th

Amy Dinh

Apr 19, 2022, 7:56:07 PM4/19/22
to Community
Hi Jacobs students,

This week's design opportunities digest is heavy on programs, courses, and student group opportunities, but there are also a few events and jobs in there as well. Please note the upcoming deadlines--the one to join Design@Berkeley's officer board is tomorrow!

Design general opportunities
  • Join Design at Berkeley! (apply by 4/21)
  • Looking for judges for a design challenge! (4/30)
  • Data Science + Social Justice Workshop (apply by 5/1)
  • Transcending Beyond Berkeley Fellowship 2022-2023 (apply by 5/2)
  • Fall 2022 Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology Classes
  • Summer 2022 UGBA classes
  • Department of City and Regional Planning Summer 2022 Courses
  • Follow Disaster Lab on IG and Twitter!
  • Invitation to Participate in Survey (compensation included) | Research Study on Life Cycles of Making
Design events
  • [Arts & Design Guest Speaker Series] How I Made It (4/27)
  • [Arts + Design Events] Final Talk of the Semester (4/29)
Design jobs
  • Fall GSI Opportunity for EW MBA Course Fundamentals of Design Thinking
  • GSI Opportunity: Fung Fellowship, Fall 2022
Best,

Amy

Design general opportunities
Join Design at Berkeley!
Design at Berkeley is recruiting for next fall! Are you passionate about nurturing the design community at Cal? Then join us & apply! For more information & to apply, please refer to the link below! Applications due 4/21 6PM PST.

Looking for judges for a design challenge!

Student Makers is looking for design challenge judges!

We're inviting design and engineering undergrads and grads, alumni, and faculty to serve as our design challenge judges for this semester! High school students were required to design a solution to a sustainable development goal problem and the winning teams with a creative, feasible, and impactful solution will receive funding to further develop their project. As a judge, you will be required to join the final presentations which will be held via zoom on April 30 at 10-12pm. We believe that students will greatly benefit from those who are experienced in the design and/or engineering field! If you are interested or have any questions please contact t...@studentmakers.org .

Data Science + Social Justice Workshop

Are you interested in data science? Intimidated by Python? Passionate about social justice? Want to apply all of this to your work?

Join the Data Science + Social Justice Workshop this summer! The D Lab and the Graduate Division have partnered to create a first-of-its-kind workshop, open to all current UC Berkeley grad students and designed particularly for UC Berkeley graduate students from marginalized or historically underrepresented backgrounds. No experience is needed (none, we really mean it!). Take advantage of this unique opportunity to gain a working knowledge in the theories of data science and get practical skills to apply to your research and jobs right now - while becoming part of a network of data science peers and professionals from UC and beyond.

The 6-week cohort-based workshop will be delivered online from  July 5 – August 16 and includes twice-weekly live collaborative sessions. Participants should expect to devote approximately 10 hours per week to the coursework and will receive a $2,000 stipend for successful completion.

Applications open until May 1. Apply and get more information here.

Transcending Beyond Berkeley Fellowship 2022-2023

Berkeley students who are Dream Aid recipients and/or undocumented are invited to apply to the Transcending Beyond Berkeley Fellowship 2022-2023, organized by the Undocumented Students Program. Work authorization is not required.

TBB Fellows partner with a unit on campus to gain professional development experience; the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation will host 2-4 Fellows (Program & Operations Fellow and Makerspace Student Supervisor & Outreach Fellow).

For the application and more information, visit this link. The application deadline is May 2nd.

Fall 2022 Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology Classes

Undergraduate and graduate students from all majors are welcome in UC Berkeley Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (SCET) classes. We welcome students with diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills to join our collider environment where we create new ideas! Please see the attached flier for a list of the Fall 2022 SCET classes which are listed under Engineering (ENGIN) course numbers starting this fall! Class details can be found on our website. Note that the classes may not be published in the Academic Guide for a few days, but they are viewable in CalCentral.

All SCET classes can also be applied towards the SCET Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Technology. Join us on May 6th for our Collider Cup to learn more about SCET classes!

Summer 2022 UGBA classes
Consumer behavior is the study of how consumers process information, form attitudes and judgments, and make decisions. Its study is critical to understand how consumers think and behave, which is critical for a company wishing to develop a customer focus. Given how different people are, it is amazing how similarly their minds work. Consumer psychology is the systematic study of how consumers perceive information, how they encode it in memory, integrate it with other sources of information, retrieve it from memory, and utilize it to make decisions. It is one of the building blocks of the study of marketing and provides the student with a set of tools with diverse applications.

This course—a mixture of lectures, readings, business cases and corporate speakers—uses theory, frameworks, tools and business cases to teach students how to systematically evaluate and implement sustainability strategies that also maintain or maximize financial returns. Students are taught to identify opportunities to create business value from environmental and social challenges, and to evaluate the competitive implications related to sustainability initiatives. What type of long-term strategies can organizations set to simultaneously foster sustainable development strategy and sound financial practice? How should decision makers make trade-offs between these two organizational objectives? When is “sustainability” also “good business”?

Department of City and Regional Planning Summer 2022 Courses
The Department of City and Regional Planning is offering several Summer classes during Sessions A and C. Two of the classes will be fully online: CYPLAN 114 and ENVDES 152. All classes below are meeting synchronously.

Please see the list of CYPLAN Classes and ENVDES 152 here.
Please click here to enroll in UC Berkeley Summer Courses
For more information regarding UC Berkeley Summer session, click here.

Additionally, see more info in the attached flyer.

Follow Disaster Lab on IG and Twitter!

Disaster Lab has launched its social media platforms! Follow us on IG and Twitter at @cal_disasterlab for all the latest updates.

Disaster Lab partners with researchers, local governments, and industry experts to demonstrate, evaluate, and report on technology that relates to disasters. In addition, we facilitate Innovation Challenges based on technology gaps identified by environmental experts to give Cal students the opportunity to innovate how the world handles crises.

Invitation to Participate in Survey (compensation included) | Research Study on Life Cycles of Making

My name is George Moore and I am a Mechanical Engineering PhD Candidate at UC Berkeley. I just launched a research study that aspires to better understand the life cycles of making in small scale fabrication spaces -- such as makerspaces, FabLabs, wood shops, hackerspaces, etc. Some researchers suggest that these smaller spaces for making could be integral to minimizing environmental impact in our supply chains and realizing a true circular economy.

If you have any experience in or related to fabrication spaces as defined above, I invite you to participate in this survey. (Each participant will be compensated with a $20 gift card).

You'll notice other opportunities to participate in this study such as participating in a virtual focus group and participating in an interview. Participation in each of these activities also includes compensation in the form of a gift card (while supplies last).

Attached you’ll find a flyer that summarizes the study and who we are seeking to be involved.

Design events
[Arts & Design Guest Speaker Series] How I Made It

How I Made It is a guest speaker series run by the Arts and Design Student Council focused on career paths and inspirations with Berkeley alumni artists, designers, educators, filmmakers.

Our third and final speaker event is Wednesday April 27th from 3-4pm in SOCS 104, and we'll be hearing from Tanja Geis (Berkeley MFA 2015), an artist whose drawings, paintings, installations and videos explore human disturbed spaces as zones for the transformation of ecological perception.

Register at bit.ly/HIMI_JS or scan the QR code. See you there!

[Arts + Design Events] Final Talk of the Semester

12:30 PM - 2:00 PM @ BAMPFA Osher Theater

How does a work of art become relevant? Elisa Tamarkin, Associate Professor of English at UC Berkeley, will speak to how these paintings are pragmatic works that make salience and make interest—that reveal versions of events that feel apropos of our lives the moment we turn to them.

Design jobs
Fall GSI Opportunity for EW MBA Course Fundamentals of Design Thinking
The Evening Weekend MBA program at Haas is doing one last round of core “Fundamentals of Design Thinking” in the Fall. The course is taught with hands-on GSI coaching/facilitation, and we have 8 sections to cover (section schedule shown below). Much of the GSI work is in the classroom (+ typically 1-2 homework assignments to grade) – so it is more of a “coaching” role than a standard GSI spot. Coaches cover 2-3 teams of five students and help them through the design thinking process.It is great practice in leading teams through some collaborative work, and it’s also a great chance to dive deeper into design thinking as part of an expert teaching team….we have three different faculty instructors, and each section typically has 3 GSIs – so you’ll be part of a design thinking coaching community!
  • One unit course
  • Weeknight sections have 5 class sessions (6:00 – 9:15)
  • Sunday sections have 2 class sessions (8:30-4:00)
  • 2 Sections = 12.5% GSI
  • 4 Sections = 25% GSI
Feel free to apply through the Haas GSI portal: https://gsirecruitment.haas.berkeley.edu/Application/    (Apply to any section, and you'll be surveyed for availability.)EWMBA Sections
1A EYET: 5 Wednesdays starting 8/17 ending 9/14
3A EYET: 5 Thursdays starting 8/18 ending 9/15
2B EYET: 5 Wednesdays starting 10/12 ending 11/16 (no class 10/26)
4B EYET: 5 Thursdays starting 10/13 ending 11/17 (no class 10/27)

31A Rao: 2 Sundays 8/14 and 8/28
33A Rochlin: 2 Sundays 8/21 and 9/11
32B Rao: 2 Sundays 9/18 and 10/2
34B Rochlin: 2 Sundays 9/25 and 10/16

GSI Opportunity: Fung Fellowship, Fall 2022

The Fung Fellowship is hiring advanced graduate students to join our team as Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) starting Fall 2022 for 25% positions for three upper level undergraduate student courses: (1) Health + Tech and (2) Conservation +Tech, and (3) FF Honors Program. The positions are for Fall 2022 with the opportunity to continue into Spring 2023.

(1) Health+Tech: Fellows (i.e., the students) work in teams to develop digital technology solutions and innovations to address real world public health challenges paired with partner organizations. Lecture: Tuesdays 5:00pm - 7:00pm Lab Sections: TBD

(2) Conservation+Tech: Fellows work in teams to develop digital technology solutions and innovations to address real world conservation challenges paired with partner organizations.

Lecture: Wednesdays 5:00pm - 7:00pm  Lab Sections: TBD

(3) Honors Program: The Honors Program provides an opportunity for fellows to further engage in the design process and product development by continuing work on a concept from the first year, starting a new venture, or a new project pitched by a partner organization. The emphasis is less on class lectures and more on independent team activities resembling an innovation lab.  All-Hands: Thursdays 5:00 - 7:00pm  GSI Labs: TBD

HOW TO APPLY:

  1. Learn more about the program at: https://fungfellows.berkeley.edu/
  2. Please apply by completing this online application form: https://forms.gle/fv6n53nHW5b1SxZn7
  3. Please email a copy of your CV to FF_GSI_.cgcx...@u.box.com, that includes your first and last name in the file name.
  4. We will begin interviewing candidates on a rolling basis and would like to find a good fit by the end of April.
  5. Questions? Please contact Program Director, Jennifer Mangold at jman...@berkeley.edu

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
dcrp_summer_session.jpeg
research_study.png
research_study2.png
how_i_made_it.png