The Summer Design Showcase, Student Supervisor Hiring, The Innovation Catalysts Grant, etc.!

Lauren Ardis

Aug 5, 2021, 6:02:14 PM8/5/21
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hello Jacobs Community,

I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful summer. We're looking forward to the fall semester's start, and to welcoming you back to Jacobs Hall in just a few short weeks. Here are a few things to consider in the upcoming days, including our Summer Design Showcase, student employment opportunities, and updates about the Innovation Catalysts grant for fall 2021.

Have a great weekend!
Lauren

EVENTS, NEWS, AND OPPORTUNITIES

Summer Design Showcase — Friday, August 13

Jacobs-Summer-Design-Showcase-BANNER-1200x380.png

Join us for our one-day Summer Design Showcase, next Friday, August 13. The Showcase will be held virtually and will include student work from our courses, as well as the final presentations from the Berkeley Engineering Design Scholars summer 2021 cohort.

All links to join live presentations will be shared on the morning of the event, but please visit the Design Showcase page to learn more about the participating courses and for the full schedule.

Applications Open for Jacobs Institute Innovation Catalysts Student Grant Program

Have you been daydreaming of a new project idea but haven't found the resources to bring it to life? Apply to join the Jacobs Institute Innovation Catalysts fall 2021 cohort!

The Innovation Catalysts fund student ideas and projects with up to $2000 of funding and other support. We welcome a wide range of projects at the intersection of design and technology innovation. The selection committee will cultivate a grant cohort that represents the diversity of the Berkeley community and fosters an inclusive design community; we encourage students from underrepresented or uncommon backgrounds to apply.

All Berkeley students are eligible. Applications for the fall cohort are due Sunday, August 29th at 11:59pm. To learn more, visit the Innovation Catalysts website, attend a virtual info session on August 17th or 26th, or send your questions to amy...@berkeley.edu.

Now Hiring Student Supervisors!

If you've ever wanted to be part of the student team that helps maintain our Makerspace and keep it up and running, now's the time! We are hiring responsible and engaged students to join the team. Student Supervisors are responsible for helping Jacobs Hall run smoothly and safely. Primary responsibilities to achieve this include facilitating our Jacobs Project Support program, monitoring evening and weekend building access (with a focus on the equipment spaces), enforcing safety and access policies, regularly maintaining building resources, and providing assistance to Maker Pass holders; a more detailed list of responsibilities can be found on our news page.

Student Supervisors are a necessary support for the Makerspace, especially during evening and weekend hours, as well as event support. Student Supervisors also receive complimentary Maker Passes. To apply, please email Joey Gottbrath at joeygo...@berkeley.edu.

Transcending Beyond Berkeley Fellowship

This year, the Jacobs Institute will be hosting 1-2 Makerspace Student Supervisor & Outreach Fellows through the Undocumented Student Program’s Transcending Beyond Berkeley Fellowship. The program is meant to provide students with professional development opportunities regardless of their immigration status. Students will complete 130 hours of service per semester with the hosting unit. Each student participant will receive a $4,000 scholarship in the academic year.

To learn more about the program and apply, go here. The application deadline is Sunday, August 8th at 11:59pm.

Cohort Collaboration: MDes Students Earn Recognition for Two Collaborative Projects

Congratulations to incoming MDes students Kathy Wang and Qianyi Chen; first-cohort MDes student, Xinyi Zhu; and their NYU collaborator, Ziqing Li for the recognition and awards of two recent projects—Post Covid Healthcare Healer, and Smell Revived. The teams have received multiple awards and recognitions for their work, including the COVID-19 Healthcare App Challenge, organized by Microsoft and IQVIA; the National Technology Awards; VR Awards; and the Design Intelligence Awards. Learn more about their projects and recognition on our news page, here

 Instagram • Facebook • Twitter