Design opportunities digest - February 22

Amy Dinh

Feb 22, 2022, 9:07:48 PMFeb 22
to Community
Hi everyone,

Today's design opportunities digest is short and sweet, but since it features two events happening tomorrow (a summer course info session and a webinar for design entrepreneurs), I wanted to send it out sooner rather than later.

Cheers!

Amy

Design general opportunities
  • Summer course: Hidden in Plain Sight: Public History in Public Space (info session 2/23)
Design events
  • Crowdfunding for Designers Crash Course by Craighton Berman (2/23)
Design general opportunities
Hidden in Plain Sight: Public History in Public Space

HUM 133AC (#15475) / ENV DES 133AC (#15421) / AMERSTD 110AC (#15485)
Summer Session C, June 21-Aug. 12, 3 units, Lecture Course
MWF 10 am -12 pm, in-person

Instructor: Catherine Covey
Fulfills the elective requirement for the Certificate in Urban Humanities and the American Cultures Requirement

Hidden in Plain Sight will explore the ways history can be illuminated or erased through urban design, museums and monuments, archives, historic preservation, heritage tourism, media, oral history, and cultural resource management. We'll explore challenges surrounding the presentation and preservation of public spaces and histories in the U.S. context.

We'll examine landscapes that have been shaped by economic inequality, migration, mass incarceration, racism, and larger conditions of societal and planetary change. We will analyze what is hidden, forgotten, missing, or in need of representation. Assignments will include devising imaginative ways to tell little-known histories of the UC Berkeley campus.

Infosession for this in-person course with instructor Dr. Catherine Covey is Weds. Feb 23 at 6pm via Zoom.

Design events
Crowdfunding for Designers Crash Course by Craighton Berman
This free webinar on managing modern crowdfunding will provide designers a framework for launching your own product or brand via crowdfunding. During the webinar, we'll do a deep dive on how to vet your ideas and plan for launch. Veteran designer and successful crowdfunder Craighton Berman will explain how a great product design is at the center of a campaign, surrounded by four quadrants of additional considerations.

In this episode you will learn:

  • How to reach your potential audience with an authentic voice
  • How to build trust and relationships with your backers through storytelling
  • Managing timelines, controlling pricing, linking resources, managing freight and logistics, overseeing quality control and more
  • Details on financing, including promotional fees, platform fees, shipping costs, budgeting and other potentially hidden costs
The webinar airs Wednesday, February 23rd at 2PM EST/11AM PST. In addition to being part of the live Q&A sessions, registered participants will have access to the videos after the event to review and deepen their impact.

Register now for the webinar before all slots are filled!

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here