Introducing The Maker Launchpad + Other Exciting News @ Jacobs

Lauren Ardis

Feb 25, 2022, 3:34:12 PM2/25/22
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Dear Jacobs Community,

Please read this week's newsletter carefully, as there are many exciting new announcements, including the launch of our summer program, The Maker Launchpad;  information about the upcoming Big Give day of fundraising; and an upcoming event for First Generation and Undocumented Students.

Also, please note that the masking policy has been extended through March 7, following campus guidelinesMasks will continue to be required indoors for an additional week — through Sunday, March 6 — with masks remaining strongly recommended for fully vaccinated individuals beginning Monday, March 7.

Have a great weekend!
Lauren

THE MAKER LAUNCHPAD SUMMER PROGRAM
We are excited to announce the launch of a new summer program at the Jacobs Institute, The Maker Launchpad! The program will take place during Berkeley Summer Session D, beginning July 5 through August 12, 2022.

This six-week comprehensive prototyping program is open to anyone interested in sharpening their design prototyping skills and discovering an entry-point into the world of engineering and design. It is also a great way to prepare for the Master of Design program (Berkeley MDes). As with all UC Berkeley summer courses, this program is open to anyone interested in taking courses at UC Berkeley, regardless of their university affiliation or current student status. All participants are required to be in-person, and will gain access to our Makerspace and dedicated studio teaching facilities.

Applications are now open. Learn more about the program details and how to apply today by visiting our Maker Launchpad page.

BIG GIVE 2022
THURSDAY, MARCH 10

UC Berkeley's annual 24 hour fundraising event, Big Give, is just around the corner. This year, we are hoping to encourage student participation with our $10 Impact Campaign. For every 50 gifts we receive, we will raffle off one Maker Pass! Help us meet our goal of 300 gifts this year—meaning 6+ Maker Passes could be up for grabs! The raffle is open to all students, though you will be automatically entered to win if you give on the day of Big Give

Gifts to the Jacobs Institute help ensure we can provide the latest technology in our Makerspace; support our speaker series; help initiate grant programs (like the Innovation Catalysts grant!); and most importantly—help provide Maker Passes for students in need of financial assistance. Big Give is not just about raising money for the colleges and institutes you love most, but also about creating community and getting together to show your support for UC Berkeley! We hope you'll consider supporting the Jacobs Institute this year.

PATHWAYS IN DESIGN FOR FIRST GEN & UNDOCU STUDENTS
Sunday, March 13, 2022
12–4 PM @ Jacobs Hall

Calling all first generation and undocumented students! Are you a creative, hands-on person? Are you interested in a design or technology career? Have you heard talk about laser cutters, 3D printers, and Makerspaces but don’t know where to find them on campus?

We invite you to join us at Jacobs Hall for a special open house designed for you. We will offer hands-on activities to introduce our design and technology resources and show how you can get involved. Learn more by visiting our News and Events page

DESIGN FIELD NOTES: SAVING LIVES WITH DESIGN
JIETING (TINA) CHEN, PRODUCT DESIGNER @ RO
Tuesday, March 1, 2022
2–3 PM Online

Jieting (Tina) Chen is a digital product designer from Xin Jiang, China. After graduating from the Royal College of Art in London, she flew over the pond to take a bite of the Big Apple. She is currently working with Ro, helping to reimagine the future of healthcare. Every day she works with physicians, nurses to build the best in Class EMR for providers. Join us in welcoming Tina to our Design Field Notes lecture series—always open to all!