Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Amy Dinh

ungelesen,
04.03.2022, 14:52:4304.03.22
an Community
Hi all,

As a chase up to Lauren's email about Jacobs-sponsored events and opportunities, here are opportunities from other design orgs at Berkeley and beyond. There's a couple of events below that start today around noon, but I wanted to include them anyway just in case some of you are free and they catch your eye.

Have a great weekend!

Amy

Design events
  • Arts + Design March Events
  • “(Im)print: an interactive art exhibition” & "PROOF: 28 years of printmaking at UC Berkeley” (3/2 - 3/15)
  • AIGA SF talk: Designing Products in the Post-Pandemic World (3/4)
  • Summer Opportunities Fair (3/9)
  • 2022 Diversity in Tech Symposium (3/10 - 3/11)
  • RGB (3/12)
  • DANGEROUS GAMES: Treacherous Toys We Loved As Kids @ Napa Valley Museum Yountville (9/25/21 - 4/10/22)
  • Living with Scents exhibition @ SF Museum of Craft & Design (2/12 - 6/5)
Design jobs
  • CITRIS Workforce Innovation Program (info-session 3/4, apply by 3/18)
Design general opportunities
  • ISSI Graduate Fellows Program (workshop 3/17, apply by 3/28)
  • "Map the Bay" Student Mapmaking Contest (due 4/1)
  • Design & Innovation for Sustainable Cities Summer Program
  • Exploratorium Survey

Design events
Arts + Design March Events
Events include A+D Fridays at BAMPFA Osher Theater, our annual Creative Careers Mixer, and the inaugural Critical Data Futures Colloquium. Indoor events require vaccination check and masks.

This Friday: March 4th
Animation!: Frame by Frame Filmmaking
12:30 PM - 2:00 PM @ BAMPFA Osher Theater
BAMPFA Director of Film and Senior Film Curator Susan Oxtoby will share a selection of works recently acquired for the collection and offer insights into how filmmakers who work in the field of animation approach storytelling, thematic concerns, and the concept of time.

Friday, March 11th
The Welcoming [IV]: New Ways of Making Under a Pandemic
12:30 PM - 2:00 PM @ BAMPFA Osher Theater
The Welcoming [IV] is a conversation with Erika Chong Shuch and SanSan Kwan about new, pandemic-inspired forms of making that center care, listening and hospitality. Erika will present on the ongoing creative mutual aid project, Artists & Elders.

Tuesday, March 15h
Creative Careers Mixer, co-sponsored by Berkeley Arts + Design and the Division of Arts & Humanities.
5-6:30pm @ Platform Artspace
Learn about creative careers paths from industry professionals at the annual Creative Career Mixer! This fun networking mixer will give students an opportunity to have explorative conversations with professionals in creative fields including architecture, arts education, arts practice, public art, arts therapy, museums & galleries, technology & design, media & performance, and more! There will also be FREE FOOD, art-making activities with the Arts + Design Student Council, resource tables, career counseling, and raffle prizes!
RSVP here

Friday, March 18th
Critical Data Futures Colloquium
Keynote Panel, Art, Data & Life in the Metaverse: 2:30 PM - 2:00 PM @ BAMPFA Osher Theater
Colloquium Sessions: 2:30-3:30 and 4:00-5:00 PM @ AAP Building
Register for the free event & colloquium at this registration link.
The unknown potentials of the metaverse are both exciting and terrifying. Join our panel of media innovation experts including Emma Fraser, Don Hanson, Wade Wallerstein and Richmond Wong and practitioners to discuss the challenges and opportunities awaiting our curious explorations in this emerging space of critical data futures. Presented by Human Technology Futures Group and the Division of Computing, Data Science, and Society at UC Berkeley.

“(Im)print: an interactive art exhibition” & "PROOF: 28 years of printmaking at UC Berkeley”
The students in Art160: Social Practice and Platform Artspace are hosting their first gallery exhibition show at the Worth Ryder Art Gallery! The exhibition is called “(Im)print: an interactive art exhibition” and will run for two weeks, from 3/2 - 3/15. More info can be found here: https://art.berkeley.edu/event-calendar/2022/3/2/imprint-an-interactive-art-exhibition.

Another interesting exhibition will be running simultaneously at the Worth Ryder Art Gallery: “PROOF: 28 years of printmaking at UC Berkeley." Info here: https://art.berkeley.edu/event-calendar/2022/2/14/proof-28-years-of-printmaking-at-uc-berkeley.

AIGA SF talk: Designing Products in the Post-Pandemic World
Friday, March 4th
12:00 PM

Join AIGA SF as we kick off the 2022 year re-envisioning our longstanding series: Designing Products, A Not-To-Be-missed Discussion of Bay Area Product Design Leaders.

Facing a prolonged and ongoing health crisis, we want to better understand what parameters have changed for product designers. As we come out into a new normal, what design tenets stay, which need to be reinvented, and how do we imagine designing products in a post-pandemic world?

Student and Educators Coupon: use STUDENTPASS when registering.

Learn more: https://aigasf.org/event/designing-products-in-the-post-pandemic-world/

Summer Opportunities Fair
Wondering what to do this summer? Join Berkeley Summer Sessions and departments across campus for our Summer Opportunities Fair on Wednesday, March 9, 2022 from 2-4pm, in Lower Sproul Plaza to learn about exciting summer options through UC Berkeley including summer courses, study abroad, summer minors and certificates, student jobs and internships, research, volunteer and service, and more! Visit summerfair.berkeley.edu to learn more. We look forward to connecting with you!

Look out for the Jacobs Institute's table at the fair; you'll have the chance to learn more about our new Maker Launchpad program, the Berkeley Engineering Design Scholar summer research program, summer courses you can take to complete the Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation, and more!

2022 Diversity in Tech Symposium
2022 Diversity in Tech Symposium: Advancing Climate Resilience
Thursday, March 10 – Friday, March 11, 2022
9 a.m. – 1 p.m. PT

How can we engage diverse talent in the high-growth climate tech sector and lead the way toward environmental justice and equitable, sustainable solutions for the next generation?

Join us for this event devoted to world-changing technologies featuring a climate tech fireside chat with E. Natasha Stavros of the Earth Lab Analytics Hub at the University of Colorado Boulder and Tsu-Jae King Liu of Berkeley Engineering, keynote talk by Margot Brown of Environmental Justice and Equity Initiatives at Environmental Defense Fund, featured panels, deep-dive breakout sessions with tech companies, a student career fair, and more.

Starting today, pick up tickets for the Diversity in Tech Symposium for only $5! Offer ends Friday, March 4, at 5 p.m. PT. Register now!

RGB (Reach, Grow, and Build)
Reach, Grow, and Build your design career at RGB 2022 through an industry speaker series, workshops, and a networking event! We’ll be joined by speakers whose careers have taken through both freelance and corporate industries. Stay until the end for customized stickers, a raffle prize and game-themed goodies!

DANGEROUS GAMES: Treacherous Toys We Loved As Kids @ Napa Valley Museum Yountville
September 25, 2021 - April 10, 2022
It’s hard to believe so many of us survived childhood, given the treacherous, toxic, yet tantalizing toys we played with as kids! We dove head-first onto slippery sheets of plastic called the Slip ‘N Slide, plucked bugs (sometimes edible) called Creepy Crawlers out of plastic goop in searing hot molds, dodged skull-piercing flying arrows called Lawn Darts, and played with explosives, molten hot glass, dangerous dyes – even radioactive material – all in the name of good clean fun.

Enjoy a blast from the past – literally – as you and your friends and family travel through our exclusive exhibition celebrating those wild, wacky, “whammo” wonders that were our childhood toys.

Learn more here!

Living with Scents exhibition @ SF Museum of Craft & Design
February 12–June 5, 2022

Guest curated by Elisabetta Pisu and Clara Muller, Living with Scents features over 40 international artists exploring the olfactory world. This exhibition helps us gain a better understanding of the ways that smell is linked to the ways we live, our emotions, our memories, and our cultural and aesthetic values. Living with Scents is a collection of designs that enhance, alter, or otherwise provoke novel experiences with the scents around us. The exhibition will highlight major dimensions, themes, and approaches to olfactory design. Several works from each section will be activated*, offering a unique museum-going experience based on both smell and sight. From fragrance-making to urban planning, explore the way that "olfactory design" consciously and subconsciously helps us make sense of the world.

Design jobs
CITRIS Workforce Innovation Program
Ready to pursue your passion for world-changing research and accelerate your career?

The CITRIS Workforce Innovation Program offers select University of California students the opportunity to build in-demand skills through paid eight-week internships. You'll receive training in leadership and project management, and you will be supported throughout the program by dedicated CITRIS staff and a community of peers in your cohort. Interns are eligible for a stipend of $25/hour for 30 hours a week for eight weeks during the summer. Remote internships are available. A Zoom info session will be held March 4th at noon. See the attached flyer for more information.

CITRIS and the Banatao Institute invite undergraduate students from all majors at UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Merced and UC Santa Cruz to apply for placements in one of five areas of emerging IT innovation important to the state of California:
  • Aviation ✈️
  • Climate resilience 🌎
  • Digital health 🩺
  • Robotics 🤖
  • Semiconductors 💻
Internships will run from June–August 2022. Apply by March 18!

Design general opportunities
ISSI Graduate Fellows Program
The Institute for the Study of Societal Issues is pleased to announce a call for applications for the 2022-2023 Graduate Fellows Program. We are currently seeking applications for the coming academic year from doctoral students who are interested in substantive issues related to contemporary processes of social change in the U.S., especially in cities. The GFP is open to registered UC Berkeley graduate students in good standing who have completed at least three years of graduate studies. The GFP is committed to diversity in graduate education and the academy more broadly. Students from groups historically underrepresented in higher education (such as African American, Native American and Latinx/Chicanx) are especially encouraged to apply. To read more about this program and to fill out the online application, click here.

A modest stipend of $15,000/year will be offered to those who do not have other fellowship funding. Funding for the stipends is provided by Graduate Division and the Division of Social Sciences. Fellows who have $15,000 or more in fellowship funding from other sources receive a token amount.

An application workshop for all graduate students interested in applying either this year or in a future year will be held Thursday, March 17, from 4-5 p.m. PT via Zoom (register here). Attendance at the workshop is encouraged but not required. Applications are due before 5PM on Monday, March 28For questions or additional information about the Graduate Fellows Program please contact Dr. Deborah Lustig, Co-Director of the Graduate Fellows Programdlu...@berkeley.edu.

Accommodation Requests:
If you require an accommodation for effective communication (ASL interpreting/CART captioning, alternative media formats, etc.) in order to fully participate in this virtual event, please contact is...@berkeley.edu with as much advance notice as possible.

"Map the Bay" Student Mapmaking Contest

The UC Berkeley Library is hosting our third annual "Map the Bay" Student Mapmaking Contest for Bay Area students. Online submissions are welcome from March 1, 2022 - April 1, 2022. Maps can be real or imaginary, hand drawn or created on a computer, as long as they have some Bay Area connection.

Finalists will be featured in the virtual exhibit, Mapping the Bay. Four winning entries, selected through public voting, will receive a $50 gift card!

To enter the contest fill out the entry form and upload your map at:

http://ucblib.link/map-contest-form

Check out our video and find more contest details here:

Map the Bay: 2022 Student Mapmaking Contest

View the online exhibit and past entries here:

Mapping the Bay

Questions? Email us at: map-c...@berkeley.edu

Or tweet us @geolibraryucb

Design & Innovation for Sustainable Cities Summer Program
Undergraduate students who are interested in exploring the fields of architecturecity planninglandscape architecture and sustainable environmental design are invited to apply to UC Berkeley's intensive summer program Disc* (Design & Innovation for Sustainable Cities). Students from any department are welcome to apply for this intensive five-week program. As we admit applicants on a rolling basis, we strongly recommend students to apply now.

College students who are graduating this year in any field, and want to apply for a graduate degree in the area of environmental design (architecture, city planning, landscape architecture), should apply to the Summer [IN]stitute instead. In six intensive weeks, participants have the opportunity to prepare a competitive design portfolio.

See the attached flyer for more information.

Exploratorium Survey
The past couple of years have been tumultuous for many of us, and we at the Exploratorium want to know how we can support and engage with you in 2022 and beyond.

Will you please share your thoughts by taking our survey?
The survey only takes about 9 minutes to complete, but in those 9 minutes you will help our team make better decisions for our future. And as a thank you there will be an opportunity for you to win one of ten $100 Visa gift cards! Take survey.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
3.4.22 WIP Webinar flyer.pdf
UCB Disc_ Summer Program 2022.pdf
Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor