Discovery Panel (Tomorrow!) + Jacobs Updates

Lauren Ardis

Mar 31, 2022, 7:14:28 PM3/31/22
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Dear Jacobs Community,

I hope you all enjoyed a restful and fun Spring Break. Here are a few things to know going into next week—have a great weekend!

Lauren

JACOBS SUMMER 2022 ASE HIRING

We are currently hiring for two GSI positions for the summer: DES INV 22, Prototyping & Fabrication and DES INV 23, Creative Programming & Electronics. Both courses are offered in Session D (July 5–August 12), and are the two courses offered in our Maker Launchpad Summer Program. If you've ever wanted to work as a GSI, this is a great opportunity to be part of a new program at the Jacobs Institute!

Learn more here and apply today! Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting now! Before applying, please

review information about the course and ensure you meet the eligibility requirements. Contact Aleta Martinez at al...@berkeley.edu if you have any questions.

MAKER LAUNCHPAD SUMMER PROGRAM

Looking to stay involved at Jacobs this Summer? Apply for our Maker Launchpad program, offered during Session D (July 5–August 12). This program offers two courses, DES INV 22 + 23, and is open to all interested applicants, regardless of experience! Learn more and apply here!

DISCOVERY PANEL: Undergrad Projects on Community-Engaged Arts & Design

FRIDAY, APRIL 1 (TOMORROW!)

4–5 PM

Register for Zoom panel here

How can art and design make a social impact and build community? How can you get involved in creative discovery and community service? Join us for a conversation with undergraduates from wide ranging disciplines who are deeply involved in campus projects or programs that use arts and design to engage communities.

Student panelists include: Malachi Tran (Arts + Design Student Council), Nassirah Nelson (Platform Artspace, Fung Fellowship), Grace Hunzicker (Creative Residencies for Emerging Artists Teaching Empowerment), and Valerie V. Ekko (Jacobs Innovation Catalyst Grant), Brandon James Yung & Sam Greenberg (Telegraph for People organization) .

This event is part of the new campus series, Interventions & Innovations: Undergraduates in Conversation About Their Discovery Projects, hosted by the Discovery Hub.

DESIGN FIELD NOTES

TUESDAY, APRIL 5

2–3 PM

Pattern Project Startup Journey

Shruti Grover, Founder, Pattern Project

Learn More / Join

There are three remaining speakers for this semester's Design Field Notes. If you haven't taken the opportunity to take part in our ongoing series, please join us this April. Next week we are thrilled to welcome Shruti Grover, founder of Pattern Project. Shruti is a Human Centred Designer/Researcher who spent a decade leading new product development projects for the BBC, Wellcome Trust, Médecins Sans Frontières, Stannah Stairlifts, Proteus Digital Health, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital.

Her venture, Pattern Project, was founded in April 2020. Pattern Project is creating a distributed network of local, on-demand, zero-waste garment micro-factories to tackle the problem of overproduction & underpaid machinists.

CAL DAY 2022

Save the date for Cal Day 2022, happening SATURDAY, APRIL 23. Celebrate newly admitted UC Berkeley students by stopping by our Makerspace Open House from 11–1. We will be offering tours, demos, and sharing information about all of the exciting opportunities offered at Jacobs. Come cheer on your new peers and get them excited about the Design Community at UC Berkeley.