Design opportunities digest

Amy Dinh

Sep 9, 2022, 8:19:08 PM9/9/22
to Community

Hello all,

This week's opportunities digest features opportunities to get involved with the design and tech communities through user studies, fellowships, and events. See below for details.

Have a great weekend!

Amy

General Opportunities

  • Recruiting users for a VR user study (VR experience not required)

  • Register now to be a Fall 2022 SCET Student Innovation Fellow!

  • A Year on Angel Island

Events

  • September Arts+Design Talks

General Opportunities

Recruiting users for a VR user study (VR experience not required)

This user study helps understand how users in VR and non-Vr environments collaborate with each other. Participants will use a collaboration tool in VR or on web browser.

The study will be in person on Berkeley campus and is scheduled between Sep 8, 2022 - Sep 13, 2022. The study will take up to one hour. The participant will be compensated at an hourly rate of $25 in Amazon gift card (up to 1 hour) .

If you are interested, you can sign up by filling out this form:

For any questions related to the study, you can contact Daisy Chen via qiany...@berkeley.edu.

Register now to be a Fall 2022 SCET Student Innovation Fellow!

The SCET Student Innovation Fellowship is a game-based co-curricular activity that allows you to work on your entrepreneurship, innovation, and networking skills outside of the classroom.

The program is open to all majors and starts September 12, and will run for 12 weeks. Each week you will receive new challenges that you can complete on your own time to earn points and improve your skills. By earning points, you will compete on a leaderboard and have the opportunity to win prizes and earn the SCET Student Innovation Fellowship Certificate.

  1. Register now to be eligible to participate during the Fall 2022 semester.

  2. Starting Sept 12, we will have new challenges each week to let you participate in immersive entrepreneurial experiences.

  3. Build genuine connections with the community of SCET students, alumni and industry.

  4. Learn valuable skills to help you in your career.

We hope you can join us! If you have any questions about the program, please contact Jennifer Nice at jennif...@berkeley.edu.

A Year on Angel Island

A Year on Angel Island is an exciting year of courses, performances, exhibitions, public lectures, and creative projects using the Angel Island Immigration Station as an observatory from which to consider histories and futures of migration, exclusion, and belonging through the arts, humanities, social sciences, and environmental design disciplines. Our fall A+D Fridays public lecture series, Landscapes of Migration, Incarceration, and Resistance, features artists, scholars, and activists. Students can attend field trips to Angel Island, help create a public art/storytelling project at Angel Island in the spring by participating in our fall Angel Island Townsend Working Group, conduct archival and family research using our research guides; and submit projects and papers to a spring symposium on immigration. See our Guide to A Year on Angel Island for student engagement opportunities and visit our website for the most updated information.

Events

September Arts + Design Talks

Learn about real word issues affecting different communities today in the events hosted by Berkeley Arts + Design below!

Preventing Erasure: How the Angel Island Immigration Station Was Saved
Friday, Sep 16th, 11:30-1pm @BAMPFA Osher Theater and livestream; register for webinar here

Petra Linhartová: Water your ways of thinking
Thursday, Sept 22nd, 12:45-2pm @Zoom Webinar; register for webinar here
Friday, Sept 23rd, 11:30-1pm @BAMPFA Osher Theater
Thursday, Sept 29, 12:45-2pm @BAMPFA Osher Theater and livestream; register for webinar here

Border-thinking Through Wartime Incarcerations Environments
Friday, Sept 30th, 11:30-1pm @Zoom Webinar; register for webinar here

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here