Design opportunities digest - February 24th 2023

Amy Dinh

Feb 24, 2023, 7:19:30 PM2/24/23
to Community

Hello Jacobs Community,

Your latest design opportunities digest has everything from job opportunities to conferences to a call for research participants. Read below for details! Each announcement was shared by a member of the Jacobs design community or one of our partners, so contact them directly to get more information.

Best,

Amy

General Opportunities

  • Berkeley MEng Op-ed Contest Winners!

  • Looking for participants for online research study

  • Due March 1: Spring 2023 Designated Emphasis & Certificate in New Media Applications

  • Types Drives Culture Scholarships due March 24

Events

  • Edge in Tech Symposium March 2

  • Type Drives Culture Conference March 3-4

  • Intro to Python Boot Camp March 11-12

  • Spring 2023 Creative Careers Mixer March 14

Career

  • VR Storytelling Job Opportunity

  • Hopelab Hiring for Two New Positions (for recent grads)

General Opportunities

Berkeley MEng Op-ed Contest Winners

Happy Spring 2023 semester and congratulations to the winners of the Berkeley MEng op-ed contest! The op-eds are part of a series from E295: Communications for Engineering Leaders course. In this course, MEng students were challenged to communicate a topic they found interesting to a broad audience of technical and non-technical readers. Note: As opinion pieces, the views shared here are neither an expression of nor endorsed by UC Berkeley or the Fung Institute.

Thank you to the 30+ students who submitted an op-ed and gratitude to the judges: Julia Lanoha, (MEng ‘20 BioE), Davis Fehrman (MEng ‘22 MSE), Neela Aghajan (MEng ‘22 BioE), Julianna Fleming (College of Engineering), Sarah Yang (College of Engineering).

Looking for participants for online research study

Looking for participants to complete an online task on quantifying preferences for subjective design attributes (e.g. comfortable, aesthetics, etc.). Participants will be asked to complete one online task and one post-task survey.

You must be 18 years or older to participate and currently located in the US. This is a 30-minute time commitment and participants will be compensated with a $10 Amazon gift card.

Participation is completely voluntary. If you are interested, please enter your email in the following form: https://forms.gle/pvSsGQgbDQE75kij9.

You will be sent further details and instructions as well as a link to the study in the next week. For any questions or concerns, contact Ananya Nandy at ana...@berkeley.edu

Due March 1: Spring 2023 Designated Emphasis & Certificate in New Media Applications

A new media certification provides enhanced skills in analyzing and/or designing future media with an awareness of historical, social, and cultural perspectives that might not be visible from a single discipline. Emphasizing a critical understanding of the nature and implications of new media, our students draw on theories and methodologies from the arts, the humanities and social sciences, and science and engineering, to innovate while questioning the impact of new media on the human experience. This gives students access to conferences, summer research grants, the prestigious Lyman fellowship, research support, teaching positions, and unique experiences with the world-class speakers we bring to campus.

Applications for admission to the Designated Emphasis (DE) in New Media Ph.D. program and the Graduate Certificate in New Media program are open. All applications for Spring 2023 admittance are due March 1. Find out more here!

Types Drives Culture (TDC) Scholarships

TDC has three scholarships for students due March 24:

  •  Adé Hogue BIPOC Scholarship for undergrad Juniors or first-year grad students (for design or typography)

  •  Beatrice Warde Scholarship for Women in their Junior year (for design, typography, or design writing)

  • and our new Ezhishin Scholarship for North American Native/Indigenous practitioners.

In addition, the institution that has the most students to apply will get a $1,000 scholarship to distribute to the student of their choice (from any demographic).

Events

Edge in Tech Symposium (March 2)

The virtual event will feature professionals who are pioneering new approaches to intelligent transportation networks, healthy indoor environments, aviation infrastructure and next-generation agriculture. Speakers will also discuss their career pathways to help attendees visualize themselves in high-growth sectors and rise to meet society’s needs for a greener future.  Click on this to see the full list of speakers. In addition to the panels and discussions, the event also recognizes those who embody, encourage, and promote the inclusion of women and Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) in technology through the Athena Awards. We are very proud to be the recipient of one of the awards this year.

Type Drives Culture Conference (March 3-4)

Held virtually on March 3-4, Cha Che Chi is a survey of Latin American design, typography, and culture as it stands today—with many speakers not often seen on the stage or represented in the curriculum. Our student prices are $35, with discounts available if the institution purchases in groupings of 5 passes or more. (The educator cost is $75).

If you would like to be connected with group discounts contact Ksenya Samarskaya

Intro to Python Boot Camp (March 11-12)

This boot camp is designed for undergraduate and graduate students with no coding experience. Covering the basics, providing support with software installation prior to the boot camp, and providing exposure to key concepts to get you started. You can come on Saturday and/or Sunday (fyi Sunday is a continuance of what we covered on Saturday). Each session is three hours long and breaks are given. We have helpers available to encourage and support your questions so that you can learn to code in a supportive environment.

*101 Boot camp | Saturday, March 11th, 10 am to 1 pm (data types & infrastructures)

*102 Boot camp | Sunday, March 12th, 10 am to 1 pm (functions, loops, & visualizations)

This boot camp is sponsored by CalNERDS. You can register here. And for any questions, you can text Diana Lizarraga at (510) 778-5165 or view more information here.

Spring 2023 Creative Careers Mixer (March 14)

March 14, 2023 | 5-7pm | Platform Artspace, Wurster Hall | RSVP

Learn about creative career paths from industry professionals at the annual Creative Career Mixer! This fun networking mixer will give students an opportunity to have exploratory conversations with professionals in creative fields including public art, museums & galleries, creative writing, theater & dance, media, tech, and more! There will also be free food, campus resource tables, and raffle prizes!

Please choose only one networking time slot:

  • 5:15-6:00pm: First networking wave

  • 6:00-6:15pm: Intermission

  • 6:15-7:00pm: Second networking wave

Where: Platform Artspace (located at UC Berkeley in a courtyard of Bauer Wurster Hall, on the southern side of the building next to the bicycle racks)

Career

VR Storytelling Job Opportunity

Research, Teaching, and Learning are looking to hire a UC Berkeley student with a passion for storytelling and digital media creation to help us develop an augmented reality (AR) exhibition on the African-American poet, George Moses Horton.

Their goal is to develop an AR exhibition for the UC Berkeley English department by the end of this (Spring 2023) semester. There is flexibility in the project if needed.

Please check out this flyer to learn more.

Hopelab Hiring for Two New Positions (for recent grads)

Hopelab is a social innovation lab and impacts investor at the intersection of tech and youth mental health. As we build on our 20-year commitment to co-creating with young people, we work collaboratively with partners to help remove systemic barriers to youth mental health and emotional well-being. Through targeted social impact investments, hands-on design and research support for digital innovation, and translational science partnerships, we’re helping to shape a future where young people can thrive.

They are currently hiring two grads in the positions of:

Youth Coordinator: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3450871656

Research Assistant: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3450872541

Click here to learn more.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here