Trick or Treat!

Lauren Ardis

Oct 21, 2021, 5:05:55 PM10/21/21
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hello Jacobs Community,

Mark your calendars for a number of upcoming events and activities happening between now and the end of the semester, including our Winter Design Showcase, our final fall Design Conversations speaker, and Halloween fun!

Have a great weekend,
Lauren

NEWS & EVENTS

HALLOWEEN WORKSHOPS

🎃 SPOOKY DIGITS: A GHASTLY LIFECASTING PRIMER
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22
1–4 PM
120 JACOBS HALL • Register here

🎃 DESIGN YOUR OWN 3D PRINTED PUMPKIN
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24
11:30 AM – 1 PM
ONLINE • Register here

Our Halloween workshops start tomorrow, beginning with Spooky Digits: A Ghastly Lifecasting Primer, led by Adam Hutz. Student Supervisor, Aashray Manchanda, will lead a 3D Printed Pumpkin workshop Sunday as well. Visit our news post for full details.

TRICK OR TREAT!
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 29
11–3 PM
103 JACOBS HALL

Show off your creepy, crafty skills with the rest of the Jacobs community! Any student who drops by the Jacobs student services office on October 29th with their DIY costume or prop will get a small treat and kudos. Students who can’t come to campus can also share their creations online by tagging @jacobsdesigncal and using the hashtag #JacobsHALLowen on Instagram. We’ll reshare highlights to our Instagram account.

DESIGN CONVERSATIONS: ROSTEN WOO
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2021
12–1 PM
ONLINE • Zoom Link

Our final Design Conversations speaker of the semester is coming up! Join us in welcoming Rosten Woo, artist, designer, writer, and educator living in Los Angeles. Rosten produces civic-scale artworks and works as a collaborator and consultant to a variety of grassroots and non-profit organizations. Learn more and find the link to join here

DESIGN FIELD NOTES: SOFIA BRAZZOLA
Design Strategy for Technology Innovation—Future-proofing an Engineering Company into a Learning Organization
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 26 2021
4–5 PM
ONLINE • Zoom Link

Design Field Notes is back this week with Sofia Brazzola, a Design Strategist whose work ranges from User Experience and Human-Centric product innovation to her current role in Brand and Marketing for the audio technology industry. Currently, she is focused on building new ventures for the German audio champion Sennheiser, such as piloting its entry into the automotive industry. She will talk about the necessary engagements needed for such a corporate transformation and the tricks she learned along the way.

WINTER DESIGN SHOWCASE
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 8 – FRIDAY, DECEMBER 10
IN-PERSON!!!

The Winter Design Showcase is around the corner, and we are thrilled to share that it will be held in person! This semester's Showcase will be 3 days, the additional day being added to include our new MDes students. While we will be back in Jacobs to celebrate, the Showcase will be limited to students and campus affiliates only, with a limited number of invited guests and industry leaders. We will be updating you with more information as the date nears, but for now, get excited for one of our most exciting events of the semester. Learn more

Lauren Ardis

Oct 29, 2021, 12:55:35 PM10/29/21
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hello Jacobs Community!

Happy Halloween weekend to all of you who celebrate. Don't forget to stop by Jacobs Hall today to show us your DIY costumes, where our resident Halloween enthusiast and Associate Director of Academic Affairs, Amy Dinh, will be waiting with a spooky treat. More details can be found below, as well as reminders about upcoming events and news for next week.

Have a fun weekend!
Lauren

EVENTS + NEWS

TREAT-OR-TREAT
Today! Friday, October 29
11 AM – 3 PM
103 Jacobs Hall

Show off your creepy, crafty skills with the rest of the Jacobs community! Any student who drops by the Jacobs student services office today with their DIY costume or prop will get a small treat and kudos. Students who can’t come to campus can also share their creations online by tagging @jacobsdesigncal and using the hashtag #JacobsHALLoween on Instagram. We’ll reshare highlights to our Instagram account.

DESIGN CONVERSATIONS: ROSTEN WOO
Friday, November 5
12–1 PM

Join us for our final Design Conversations speaker of the fall semester with Rosten Woo. Rosten is an artist, designer, writer, and educator, based in Los Angeles. His work centers around community and civic-scale projects, working as a collaborator and consultant to a number of grassroots and non-profit organizations. He is also the co-founder and former executive director of the Center for Urban Pedagogy in NY, a non-profit organization dedicated to using art and design for civic participation.

As always, this event is free and open to all members of the public. It will be held virtually using Zoom Webinar. The link to join can be found here, and more information about Design Conversations and this talk can be found on our DC page.

DESIGN FIELD NOTES: JINGYI LI
Tuesday, November 2
4–5 PM

We are in the final month of Design Field Notes, our weekly lecture series part of DES INV 95. If you haven't joined us for one yet, don't miss this week's with Jingyi Li (they/them), a UC Berkeley EECS alum and former Jacobs student! Currently, they are a 5th year Ph.D. candidate in computer science with a focus on human-computer interaction at Stanford University. Their research investigates ways computation can better support expressive creative practices, particularly for digital artists.

MDES ADMISSIONS TIPS WITH Q&A
Friday, November 5
8–9 AM

Join MDes Executive Director, Gwynne Keathley, in a virtual group session, focused on the best tips and insights into the application process. If you've had questions about the MDes program and how to apply, don't miss it!

MDES PODCAST, EPISODE 006

Have you listened to the MDes Podcast, Design Despite Disciplines yet? This podcast is part of the foundational course DES INV 201 and is entirely produced by students in the course. The most recent episode features former Design Conversations speaker Leah Buechley, and UC Berkeley Professor of Architecture, Ron Rael.

This episode was made by Mercedes Saldana, Penny Lin, Susanne Maddux. There are two more episodes left in the first season—listen each Monday!