Upcoming@Jacobs: showcase, graduate exhibition, student engagement job opportunity, and more!

Amy Dinh

Dec 1, 2022, 9:18:09 PM12/1/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

This week's Jacobs newsletter contains some reminders about upcoming opportunities, like next week's Jacobs Design Showcase (December 7-9), as well as some exciting new events, like Internodes, our graduating MDes students' graduate exhibition (December 15-16).

Also, please take heed of our administrative reminders like taking all of your materials out of the building by December 16; anything left behind will be discarded.

Lastly, alumni who are on this mailing list--we are looking for a full-time Student Engagement Manager to join our team--please check out the announcement and spread the word!

Best,

Amy

CELEBRATE THE END OF THE SEMESTER AT THE JACOBS & MDES WINTER DESIGN SHOWCASE (DEC 7-9)

Join the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation and our Berkeley Master of Design (MDes) program for the Jacobs Winter 2022 Design Showcase—a three-day exhibition of student research, prototypes and presentations.

WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY feature work from the DES INV and affiliated courses offered at Jacobs Hall, student clubs, DeCals, independent projects, and the Innovation Catalysts grant program.

FRIDAY the reception celebrates the work by our Master of Design program (including our graduating Fall 2022 cohort)

All are welcome; come for one or more days! Detailed schedule here; RSVP here

INTERNODES: THE BERKELEY MASTER OF DESIGN GRADUATE EXHIBITION (DEC 15)
The UC Berkeley Master of Design (MDes) is a professional graduate program in design for emerging technologies that emphasizes critical design and social practice to address the new realities of emerging technologies in the 21st century.

Internodes = the initial spark of growth, the radical, the foundation for the future.

This exhibition features culminating projects and research by the MDes Fall 2022 cohort. Projects will be on display for the campus community and general public; all are welcome to attend and engage. RSVP here.

Opening Reception
Thursday, December 15th 4–6 PM in 310 Jacobs Hall

Public Exhibition
Friday, December 16th 12–3 PM in 310 Jacobs Hall

NOW HIRING: STUDENT ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
The Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation is hiring a full-time Student Engagement Manager to manage student engagement efforts, advising, and outreach for our undergraduate, graduate and co-curricular programs.

If you are a Jacobs alum with fond memories of learning and creating at Jacobs Hall, and are interested in student services and outreach as a career path, this might be the right opportunity for you! The Student Engagement Manager will play a key role in fostering the creative, welcoming, interdisciplinary Jacobs student community.

Please consider applying if you are interested and share widely with your networks. The first review date is December 13, 2022.  The position can be found online here (job code #46161). Please direct questions to me at amy...@berkeley.edu.

DEC 1 PRIORITY DEADLINE FOR SPRING 2023 STUDENT MEETING SPACE REQUESTS
Jacobs Hall provides teaching & meeting space for DeCals and student clubs exploring human-centered design and emerging technology. The priority deadline for Spring 2023 teaching space and club meeting space requests is Friday, December 2nd, 2022; applications submitted after that date will be considered on a rolling basis. Room reservations start on the third week of the semester (week of January 29th) through the final week of class (week of April 23rd). You can access the DeCal teaching space request form and the club meeting space request form via the following links:

CLEAR OUT YOUR MATERIALS FROM JACOBS HALL BY DEC 16
This is an early reminder to make plans to remove all of your personal materials from Jacobs Hall maker spaces and teaching studios before we close for the semester on December 16th at 7pm. It is important that our team has the opportunity to reset the space for the spring semester, so we cannot allow for between-semester storage of materials or projects in any of our teaching or maker spaces.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here