Summer Programming and Other Upcoming Opportunities at Jacobs

Lauren Ardis

Mar 4, 2022, 12:20:18 PM3/4/22
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Dear Jacobs Community,

I write to you with another full round-up of upcoming opportunities, news, and events happening at Jacobs. This week's email includes a reminder about the Maker Launchpad, next week's Big Give, and the Pathways in Design for First Gen and Undocu Student event on the 13th. We are also pleased to share more information about the Berkeley Engineering Design Scholar Program, taking place this summer. Please read carefully and as always, let us know if you have any questions.

Have a great weekend,
Lauren

JACOBS SUMMER 2022 ASE HIRING
The Jacobs Institute is hiring Summer 2022 ASE roles. More information about the available roles and instructions on how to apply are provided on the Jacobs website. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning the second week of March with the goal of filling all positions by the end of April.

Before applying, please review information about the course—including meeting time and content—through the links provided on the website. Please also ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to be an ASE, especially if you are applying to be a first-time GSI. Contact Aleta Martinez at al...@berkeley.edu if you have any questions.

BERKELEY ENGINEERING DESIGN SCHOLAR PROGRAM
The Berkeley Engineering Design Scholar Program is a 10-week summer undergraduate research program. Each Design Scholar is matched with a faculty advisor based on their interests and conducts faculty-guided research. Program benefits include a $5000 stipend, exposure to academic research, a free Maker Pass for the summer, and more.

The Design Scholar program is open to all continuing Berkeley undergraduate students in the College of Engineering, although freshmen are encouraged to wait until their sophomore or junior years to apply. Continuing Berkeley students outside of the College of Engineering with a track record of experience in design will also be considered. Student veterans, persons with disabilities, women, transfer students, and students of color are especially encouraged to apply.

The Design Scholar program will be offered as an in-person, on-campus experience for summer 2022, beginning June 6th and ending August 12th. Some students will be able to participate in Maker Launchpad in conjunction with the Design Scholar program; interested students must apply independently to both programs.

Learn more at designscholar.jacobshall.org. Applications for the summer 2022 cohort are due March 20th at 11:59pm.

THE MAKER LAUNCHPAD SUMMER PROGRAM
We are excited to announce the launch of a new summer program at the Jacobs Institute, The Maker Launchpad! The program will take place during Berkeley Summer Session D, beginning July 5 through August 12, 2022.

This six-week comprehensive prototyping program is open to anyone interested in sharpening their design prototyping skills and discovering an entry-point into the world of engineering and design. It is also a great way to prepare to apply to the Master of Design program (Berkeley MDes). As with all UC Berkeley summer courses, this program is open to anyone interested in taking courses at UC Berkeley, regardless of their university affiliation or current student status. All participants are required to be in-person, and will gain access to our Makerspace and dedicated studio teaching facilities.

Applications are now open. Learn more about the program details and how to apply today by visiting our Maker Launchpad page.

BIG GIVE 2022
THURSDAY, MARCH 10

Following up from yesterday's email, Big Give is less than a week away! This year, we are hoping to encourage student participation with our $10 Impact Campaign. For every 50 gifts we receive, we will raffle off one Maker Pass! Help us meet our goal of 300 gifts this year—meaning 6+ Maker Passes could be up for grabs! The raffle is open to all students, though you will be automatically entered to win if you give on the day of Big Give

Gifts to the Jacobs Institute help ensure we can provide the latest technology in our Makerspace; support our speaker series; help initiate grant programs (like the Innovation Catalysts grant!); and most importantly—help provide Maker Passes for students in need of financial assistance. Big Give is not just about raising money for the colleges and institutes you love most, but also about creating community and getting together to show your support for UC Berkeley! We hope you'll consider supporting the Jacobs Institute this year.

PATHWAYS IN DESIGN FOR FIRST GEN & UNDOCU STUDENTS
Sunday, March 13, 2022
12–4 PM @ Jacobs Hall

Calling all first generation and undocumented students! Are you a creative, hands-on person? Are you interested in a design or technology career? Have you heard talk about laser cutters, 3D printers, and Makerspaces but don’t know where to find them on campus?

We invite you to join us at Jacobs Hall for a special open house designed for you. We will offer hands-on activities to introduce our design and technology resources and show how you can get involved. Learn more by visiting our News and Events page

DESIGN FIELD NOTES: DESIGNING THE IMPOSSIBLE
NELLY BEN, HAYOUN STUDIOS
Tuesday, March 8, 2022
2–3 PM Online

Founded in 2009, Nelly Ben Hayoun Studios Ltd. designs experiences for you to become an astronaut in your living room while dark energy is being created in your kitchen sink, and a volcano erupts on your couch. They are an interdisciplinary design studio that devises subversive events, experiences, and feature-length films. They work on multimedia, highly ambitious projects to empower countercultures and communities by building platforms for them to challenge power structures, while also allowing for change and critical thinking through multi-faceted immersive experiences. They are pioneers in the design of experiences, their mission is to reveal meanings and power structures through experiential practices and to foster critical thinking within institutions across the world.

This talk is free and open to the public—see you there!
--

Lauren Ardis
(she/her/hers)