Upcoming Events, Beginning Tomorrow, Friday 9/17

Lauren Ardis

Sep 16, 2021, 8:01:40 PM9/16/21
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hello Jacobs Community,

I hope you're all settling into the semester and enjoying being back on campus. Below you'll find more details about a couple of upcoming events (including two scheduled for tomorrow, Friday 9/17!), as well as some updates to our recurring speaker events, Design Field Notes and Design Conversations.

Have a great weekend!
Lauren

EVENTS + OPPORTUNITIES

Wizard of Oz Prototyping: The Art of the Curtain
TOMORROW • Friday, September 17
2:30–4:00 PM

This workshop was designed for the Master of Design (MDes) program, but there are still some spots available for students in our general community. Space is limited, register here.

Wizard of Oz is a design prototyping practice to create user experiences that look and feel real in front of the curtain, but are not necessarily fully built out behind it. This exciting strategy focuses on bringing the magic to rapid prototyping where design teams move quickly and index on concept development and testing over execution.

In this virtual talk and exercise, Interaction Designers, Zahin Ali (IDEO) and James Zhou (Microsoft, ex-IDEO) will bring a human centered lens by exploring case studies of their favorite experiences and examples of this approach in addition to defining best practices. Finally, you and your group will brainstorm concepts around a design brief and create a prototyping plan that embodies the principles of Wizard of Oz.

Jacobs Student Club & DeCal Leaders Orientation
TOMORROW • Friday, September 17
3:00–5:00 PM
310 Jacobs Hall

Calling all student group leaders and DeCal facilitators in the Jacobs community! Join us for our Student Club and DeCal Leaders Orientation meeting tomorrow at Jacobs Hall.

The goals of this orientation are to:

  • Help student leaders and Jacobs faculty and staff get to know each other
  • Introduce student leaders to Jacobs resources and policies, especially those that are relevant to student group activities
  • Have a discussion regarding your ideas, experiences, and suggestions regarding the student community at Jacobs
Leaders from all clubs and DeCals that are involved in the Jacobs community, or are interested in getting more involved are invited to attend. Register here.

Design Field Notes: Jiani Zeng & Honghao Deng

Virtual Intimacy in the Physical Reality

Tuesday, September 21

4:00–5:00 PM

Jiani Zeng and Honghao Deng are the co-founders Butlr Technologies, an MIT Media Lab spin-off that builds the next generation of people-sensing platforms. Their work exists on the boundary between the digital and physical realms, reinventing material expression and exploring new design opportunities with emerging technology such as AIoT, soft-robotics, and multi-material 3D printing.

**Please note: the link to join this talk has been updated from the originally posted link, and can be found on the DFN website. This talk is free and open to all.

Design Conversations: Liz Gerber

Friday, September 24

12:00–1:00 PM

Join us for our first Design Conversations talk of the semester with Liz Gerber, Co-Founder and Co-Director of the Center for Human-Computer Interaction + Design and Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Communication Studies. She is the faculty founder of Design for America, a network of social innovators. Gerber works at the intersection of design, social computing, and organizational behavior to understand the future of collaboration. Gerber also co-directs the Delta Lab, whose mission is to create technology-based systems to enhance learning, collaboration, and performance.

Gerber will be joining us virtually using Zoom Webinar. This talk is free and open to the public, but registration is required

**Please note: this event is now scheduled to be entirely virtual. We will not be screening the talk in 310 Jacobs as previously planned.

 Instagram • Facebook • Twitter