Upcoming@Jacobs: student club and decal resources + drop-in tours

Amy Dinh

Jun 30, 2022, 4:41:53 PMJun 30
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

This week's edition contains some important dates for design club and DeCal leaders coming up soon. Take heed especially if you are hoping to get your DeCal sponsored by Jacobs--the extended deadline ends tomorrow for that!

We have also resumed summer drop-in tours, led by our student staff, open to anyone who wants to learn more about Jacobs.

Best,

Amy

FALL 2022 DES INV DECAL SPONSORSHIP APPPLICATION
*Final Deadline to Submit, Friday, July 1st*

The standard deadline to submit fall semester DES INV DeCal Sponsorship Application has passed (Friday, June 24th). If you haven't submitted your application yet, please submit your application by Friday, July 1st (end of the day). If you're having any trouble or issues, please email tro...@berkeley.edu.

Each semester, the Jacobs Institute sponsors DeCals that explore topics in design and technology innovation. To apply for your course to be sponsored as a DES INV DeCal in Fall 2022, please fill out the following form (Request for DES INV DeCal Sponsorship - FALL 2022) and submit all required documents (details below). Once submitted, we'll review your application, secure the Jacobs Institute's Department Chair signature and submit your application to COCI by the deadline of July 12th, 2022.

The list of required materials, plus some tips, are provided here. All first-time student facilitators must have completed a UCFTR training no later than July 12th, 2022. Provide the date of when each facilitator took a training or intends to take training if the date has not yet passed. ***quick note*** Please use the most updated version of Adobe Acrobat and do not lock the pdf application after receiving the signature of the Instructor who will sponsor your DeCal.

NOW ACCEPTING JACOBS HALL DECAL TEACHING SPACE AND CLUB MEETING SPACE REQUESTS FOR FALL 2022

Jacobs Hall provides teaching space for DeCals & Club Meeting space for Student Groups exploring human-centered design and emerging technology. The priority deadline for Fall 2022 teaching space requests is Friday, July 22nd, 2022; applications submitted after that date will be considered on a rolling basis. You can access the DeCal teaching space request form & the club meeting space request form via the following links:

Fall 2022 DeCal Teaching Space Application

Fall 2022 Club Meeting Space Application

Before you submit your request

1) LEARN ABOUT JACOBS STUDIO SPACE

Go to https://jacobsinstitute.berkeley.edu/our-spaces-at-a-glance/ for information and details about our available rooms: 310, 10 & 10C.

2) CHECK THE JACOBS BUILDING CALENDAR FOR SPACE AVAILABILITY

Go to http://jacobsinstitute.berkeley.edu/our-space/, find the building calendar, and scroll ahead to August 2022 for the full semester schedule. Note that a studio opening on the calendar is not guaranteed to be available, as it may end up assigned to another group.

Please also note that class meetings must have start times within the Jacobs general operating hours (Mon-Fri 8:30am-8:00 pm). Please contact tro...@berkeley.edu or visit the student groups resources page of the Jacobs website if you have any questions or concerns.

SUMMER DROP-IN TOURS

Our student staff offer weekly drop-in tours of the Jacobs makerspace and teaching studios to individuals small groups. Drop-in tours for summer 2022 are offered on Tuesdays 12:10-1pm and start from the west lobby of Jacobs Hall. These tours are a great way to learn more about Jacobs resources if you are new to the community or interested in joining.

For other tour inquiries or groups larger than 5 people, please email jacobsi...@berkeley.edu. Learn more about Jacobs Hall tours here.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here