Design opportunities digest: events & general opportunities

Amy Dinh

Mar 24, 2021, 7:18:21 PM3/24/21
to Community
Hi Jacobs community,

Check out the opportunities below to practice your design skills and mentor others on theirs. Enjoy browsing and enjoy your break!

Design Events
  • Human-Centered Design-a-thon (apply by 4/1)
General opportunities
  • Mapmaking Contest
  • Lawrence Hall of Science seeking mentors for undergrad design competition (stipend available!)
Best,

Amy

Design Events
Human-Centered Design-a-thon
Join Berkeley Innovation and renowned product design firm, RKS, for a two day virtual design-a-thon where passionate designers can gain skills, learn methodology, and practice any kind of design from digital to industrial.
To mark Berkeley’s first human-centered design-a-thon, we’ll be exploring the intersections where design thinking lives and how impactful design can be used to create intersections where seemingly disparate people, places, or disciplines can connect to push progress and spark innovation.
New to design? Not a problem. We’re excited to present a series of talks as well as a keynote, presented by founder and CEO of RKS, Ravi Sawhney, on their design methodology, psycho-aesthetics. RKS professionals and members of BI will also be available to help support you during the weekend through office hours and critiques.
Form a team to work on a design project that you’re passionate about and get feedback from a diverse range of designers before presenting your pitch to RKS for a chance to win prizes. 👀
If you require any accommodations to fully participate in this event, please email berkeley....@gmail.com at your earliest convenience.
Applications are due April 1st at 11:59pm PST.

APPLY HERE: https://tinyurl.com/intersect-app

General opportunities
Mapmaking Contest
This month, the Earth Sciences and Map Library is kicking off its second annual mapmaking contest, inviting students to capture the magic, or illustrate the realities, of the Bay Area. Works that are entered into the contest, called Map the Bay, can be realistic or fantastical, and can come in an array of mediums, from computer-aided to hand-drawn. Four winners will receive $50 gift cards.

Lawrence Hall of Science seeking mentors for undergrad design competition (stipend available!)
The Lawrence Hall of Science--UC Berkeley's public science center--is collaborating with Museum of Science, Boston on the Go Carbon Neutral Challenge (funded by General Motors). The Challenge is a national competition where SF Bay Area undergraduate students are invited to develop and submit a transportation-related proposal that addresses climate change and carbon neutrality in the SF Bay Area. More info about the challenge is available here

We are currently recruiting mentors to help team members finalize their projects. Mentors can be academics (including grad students!) or professionals working in the interdisciplinary areas of transportation and green technology engineering, policy, and design. Mentors can expect to spend 2-4 hours each month working with their teams between now and April 16th (when the teams' final projects are due) and will receive a $200 stipend from the Museum of Science, Boston for participating.

If you are interested in participating, please email Celia Castillo (cast...@berkeley.edu) and she will follow up with next steps. Thank you for joining us!

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Share your design interests and questions via drop-in advisingemail, or scheduled appointment

COVID-19 updates:
  • I am working remotely while shelter-in-place orders are in effect. Please do not hesitate to contact me remotely during this time.
  • Updates regarding Jacobs programs & operations can be found here
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here