Upcoming@Jacobs: speaker events, open house, career events, BCDI info session, and more

Amy Dinh

Sep 7, 2022, 8:21:16 PM9/7/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

We have a lot of great events lined up for you in the next few weeks, including our weekly Design Field Notes speaker, the Jacobs makerspace open house, BCDI info session, career events, and a student leaders' orientation. Get more details below and see you soon!

Best,

Amy

DESIGN FIELD NOTES: ROBBIE LI (SEPTEMBER 8th)
The Jacobs Design Field Notes speaker series invites a dynamic group of designers, artists, and academics in design-related fields to share their work and practice. This series will be held virtually for the Fall semester on most Thursdays 1-2pm. Each talk is free and open to all students and members of the public. View the full speaker lineup and access Zoom information here. This week's speaker is:

Robbie Li
User Experience Researcher, Stavvy
From design research to UX research: observations from design school and industry
Thursday, September 8th 1-2pm
Chongchao "Robbie" Li started his design journey at the Design Field Note Series. While a student of statistics and political economy at Berkeley, he stumbled into Jacobs Hall and discovered design as a systematic way to envision and enact change in the world. After a brief stint working as a one-man marketing and design team at a boutique asset management firm in San Francisco, he joined Brown and RISD's joint master's program in Design Engineering, where he focused on design research and creative collaboration. Currently, Robbie works as a UX Researcher at Stavvy in Boston, MA, digitizing fragmented workflows in traditional industries such as mortgage closing and refinancing.

JACOBS BACK TO SCHOOL EVENTS
We have two more back-to-school events happening this week--the online BCDI info session and in-person Jacobs makerspace open house--plus another event in a few weeks. Get full details on our back to school news post. Please share widely; all students are welcome. See you there!
  • 9/9 Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation Info Session
  • 9/9 Jacobs Makerspace Open House
  • 9/23 First Gen/Undocu Student Orientation (RSVP here for the event)
DESIGNING FOR CRYPTO: HOW TO PREVENT BUILDING ANOTHER INEQUITABLE SYSTEM
September 9, 1-1:45pm PT | Virtual | Registration required for Zoom meeting
Join us for an exciting talk on Designing for Crypto by Gresshaa Mehta, Product Design Lead at Orca Protocol. She'll break down complex crypto design experiences and draw parallels between the current tech ecosystem and web3/crypto – UX patterns, user flows, current issues, and most importantly why designers should care about the future of this industry. Because accessibility is virtually non-existent in crypto products, this talk will also cover how designers can ensure inclusive and accessible design within their web3 organizations.

JACOBS STUDENT CLUB & DECAL LEADERS ORIENTATION

Calling all student group leaders and DeCal facilitators in the Jacobs community: we invite you to our Student Club & DeCal Leaders Orientation Friday 9/16 11:30-1pm in 10 Jacobs. The goals of this orientation are to:

  • Help student leaders and Jacobs faculty and staff get to know each other
  • Introduce student leaders to Jacobs resources and policies, especially those that are relevant to student group activities
  • Have a discussion regarding your ideas, experiences, and suggestions regarding the student community at Jacobs
Leaders from all clubs and DeCals that are involved in the Jacobs community, or are interested in getting more involved, are invited to attend (each club/decal should send at least one representative). Register here.

CAREER CHAT WITH EVIE CHEUNG, SENIOR SERVICE DESIGNER AT FROG
September 22, 12-1pm | Virtual | Registration required for Zoom meeting
Don’t miss this Career Chat with Evie Cheung, a Senior Service Designer at frog. Evie will give an overview of what Service Design is and will share a bit about her career journey. Come with questions as we'll save plenty of time for Q&A! Want to learn more about what Service Design is before the event? Check out this blog post. :)

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here