Design opportunities digest - April 26th

Amy Dinh

Apr 26, 2022, 11:21:44 PMApr 26
to Community
Hi all,

Enjoy this week's design opportunities digest, which includes events to look out for in the next few days; programs and courses for summer and fall; a user research study; and more!

Best,

Amy

Design general opportunities
  • Fall Mentored Research Lab - Unlocatable: Seeing Hong Kong and its Arts (apply by 5/1)
  • Data Science Program for Women Launch (apply by 5/31)
  • Invitation to Participate in a Local City Engagement User Study
  • Disaster Lab @ Cal will be teaching ENGIN 183C 003 in Fall 2022!
  • Berkeley Art Studio Summer Registration
Design events
  • EnableTech Dem Day (4/27)
  • [Arts + Design Events] Final Talk of the Semester (4/29)
  • Fung Fellowship NSF Design Challenge (4/30)

Design general opportunities
Fall Mentored Research Lab -- Unlocatable: Seeing Hong Kong and its Arts
Mentored Research courses are designed to introduce you to the research culture on campus in a small group format. This course immerses students in the history of the arts in Hong Kong, the Pearl River Delta region, and its diasporas. Students will research art in many media, from comedy to graphic design, from kung fu to video art. Collaborating with the Asian Art Museum, students will produce digital materials for public engagement. The course will culminate in an online exhibition of students' work, an effort to "locate" and "see" Hong Kong and its arts.

Instructor approval is required. Please submit an expression of interest online at this link. The priority application deadline is May 1, 2022.  Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through the beginning of the semester as space permits. Selected students will receive a $500 research stipend. Results will be announced on May 11.

Learn moreQuestions? Please email newstr...@berkeley.edu

Data Science Program for Women Launch

The DS4A / Women program is designed to help female students and professionals develop into data-driven leaders of tomorrow. It is a free program that provides world-class technical training, professional development workshops, mentorship from senior leaders, competitive employment opportunities, and the opportunity to build your network of data-driven peers and leading organizations.

When: June - August (full schedule here)

Where: Virtual

Who: Open to PhD and Master’s students who are graduating from academia and looking to transition into industry. Relevant fields include Computer Science, Math, Applied Math, Engineering, Financial Engineering, Statistics, Quantitative Finance, Data Analytics, Data Science, among other quantitative fields.

Cost: Free, by application only

How to Apply: Apply Here!

Deadline: May 31, 2022. The deadline is in May 2022 but we encourage students to apply as early as possible as our Admissions Committee works on a rolling basis.

If you'd like to find out more information about the program or sign up for DS4A / Women program, please visit our website. If you know someone else who might benefit from this event, feel free to pass this link and information along!

Invitation to Participate in a Local City Engagement User Study

My name is Odysseus Pyrinis and I am a 5th Year Master's Student in the EECS department. I am recruiting participants for a user study on civic engagement with your local city government.  This user study aims to better understand how you currently interact with your city government, the tools you use to engage with your city, and whether two proposed interaction solutions change your perspectives on civic engagement.

All responses are anonymized and no personally identifiable details are recorded during the conversation.  The user study consists of one session that is approximately 1 hour in length.  The interview will be conducted remotely over Zoom.  Participants must be at least 18 years of age and speak English.

I really appreciate your help with this study.  Your participation will help provide insights into how the interaction between residents and city governments can be further improved.  If you are interested in participating, please fill out the following survey (https://forms.gle/f1Fho1UgnjtSxEJU9).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me (odysseus...@berkeley.edu).

Disaster Lab @ Cal will be teaching ENGIN 183C 003 in Fall 2022!

In this course, students will learn about how innovative technologies are used to detect, prevent, and manage environmental disasters, such as those used to detect and mitigate wildfires. Students from all majors are encouraged to enroll in the Disaster Technology challenge lab.

To learn more, visit https://scet.berkeley.edu/students/courses/challenge-labs/disaster-tech/.

Berkeley Art Studio Summer Registration
Summer Registration is Almost Here!
Summer Session registration opened Saturday, April 23 at 9am.

We've got classes in ceramics, drawing, painting, design, photography, printmaking, and more.

Check out some of our new classes:

Design events
EnableTech Demo Day invitation
On behalf of Enabletech, we would like to invite you to our biannual Demo Day on Wednesday, April 27th from 7-8:30 PM in Jacobs Hall room 310This event showcases the assistive devices that EnableTech members have been working on throughout the semester. Any advice or encouragement that you can provide to project teams will significantly impact the future direction of these projects. Please RSVP here, and we look forward to seeing you there!

[Arts + Design Events] Final Talk of the Semester
12:30 PM - 2:00 PM @ BAMPFA Osher Theater

How does a work of art become relevant? Elisa Tamarkin, Associate Professor of English at UC Berkeley, will speak to how these paintings are pragmatic works that make salience and make interest—that reveal versions of events that feel apropos of our lives the moment we turn to them.

Fung Fellowship NSF Design Challenge
The Fung Fellowship, the UC Berkeley Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) and the Lawrence Hall of Science are proud recipients of the National Science Foundation (NSF) Grant for Informal Learning: Investigating Measurement of STEM Engagement and Advocacy in Older Adults.The grant’s 18-month pilot study focuses on developing and validating outcome metrics used in an informal intergenerational learning experience using human-centered design.

As part of the grant we are hosting a Design Challenge event where older adults and undergraduate students will work together in teams of four (2 older adults and 2 undergrads) to solve a problem at the intersection of public health and the environment. The three hour event is Sunday, April 30th from 11am to 2:30pm at Mudd Hall.

No preparation prior to the event is necessary. If you are interested please sign-up using this form. If you have any questions please reach out to Jennifer at .
Read more about the grant in medium post and at NSF website.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here