Upcoming@Jacobs: Design Field Notes, Design Showcase, holiday closures

Amy Dinh

Nov 10, 2022, 3:49:46 PM11/10/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

Don't miss this week's Design Field Notes talk, which will start in a few minutes, at 1pm! We also invite you to participate in the Winter Design Showcase in December. Finally, head's up about the upcoming Veterans and Thanksgiving/Native American Heritage Day closures of Jacobs Hall.

Have a good three day weekend,

Amy

TODAY NOV 10: DESIGN FIELD NOTES w/ SAKI AND DAN COPPEN
The Jacobs Design Field Notes speaker series invites a dynamic group of designers, artists, and academics in design-related fields to share their work and practice. Each talk is free and open to all students and members of the public. View the full speaker lineup. Today's speaker (starting in 15 minutes) is:

Introducing Studio Playfool
Saki and Dan Coppen / Founders, Playfool
Thursday, November 10 | 1-2pm | Join the talk with this Zoom link
Playfool is a design studio formed by Dan and Saki Coppen in 2018. Combining engineering and design, we create products and experiences that inspire imagination, cultivate creativity and make you wanna play! In this talk, Playfool will introduce their philosophy around play and how their style has evolved through some of the projects they have created. From developing a set of crayons out of wood to launching a thriving YouTube channel, they’ll share their learnings, failures and aspirations on growing their creative practice.

SHARE YOUR WORK AT THE WINTER DESIGN SHOWCASE
In addition to featuring projects from Jacobs-affiliated courses and programs, we encourage individuals, student groups, and DeCals in the Jacobs community to share their work at the Jacobs & MDes Design Showcase, which will be held this semester December 7-9. Leaders of student clubs and DeCals, and individual students, please sign up here as soon as possible if you wish to participate in the showcase and we will follow up with you!

UPCOMING HOLIDAY CLOSURES
Please note these upcoming closures of Jacobs Hall due to administrative holidays. During these dates, all of Jacobs Hall (teaching studios, makerspace, and staff/faculty offices) will be closed.

Veterans Day closure Friday 11/11 through Sunday 11/13; normal operating hours resume Monday 11/14.

Thanksgiving/Native American Heritage Day closure Wednesday 11/23 starting at 3 PM through Sunday 11/27; normal operating hours resume Monday 11/28.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here