Design opportunities digest

Amy Dinh

Nov 30, 2021, 5:18:34 PM11/30/21
to Community
Hi all,

Welcome back from Thanksgiving break! Here is a roundup of design opportunities to look out for for the next few weeks, from design courses and organizations on campus and beyond.

Design opportunities
  • 2022 Lyman Fellowship (2/1)
  • Berkeley Art Studio: Winter + Spring Classes
  • Utopia and the World Economic Forum: Global Urban Innovation Challenge
Design events
  • Disability in America (11/30)
  • TUI 2021 Final Project Exhibition (12/1)
  • Berkeley Art Studio's Holiday Pop-Up Shop (12/3 - 12/12)
  • Design Museum Mentoring (12/10)
Design jobs
  • Digital/Print Design Work for Interested Students!
Best,

Amy

Design opportunities
2022 Lyman Fellowship
Peter Lyman Fellowship in New Media

 Applications due: February 1, 2022

The Peter Lyman Graduate Fellowship in New Media, established in the memory of an esteemed UC Berkeley faculty member, provides a summer stipend to a UC Berkeley Ph.D. candidate to support the writing of his or her Ph.D. dissertation on a topic related to New Media.

Some preference will be given to those doing research related to children and youth, to BCNM Designated Emphasis students, and to projects that focus on women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, Global South, ability diverse, and socioeconomically disadvantaged peoples as makers and users of new media. If relevant, please explain how your project foregrounds one or more of these communities. Originality and quality of research are, however, the primary criteria.

The amount of the stipend depends on the size of the fund. In Summer 2021 the fellowship amount was $6,000.

For more information and to apply, click here!

Berkeley Art Studio: Winter + Spring Classes
Winter and Spring registration opened on Monday, November 29!

Browse a list of our classes in advance! We offer classes in ceramics, photography, drawing, painting, design, and printmaking. Our classes are taught by professional artists who will help you gain a better understanding of a particular medium and realize your artistic vision. We welcome students of all skill levels.

Winter Session: January 18 - March 7
Spring Session: March 9 - May 3 (Closed March 21-27 for Spring Break)

Utopia and the World Economic Forum: Global Urban Innovation Challenge
Utopia and the World Economic Forum have teamed up to launch a global Urban Innovation Challenge for emergent cities across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. The challenge invites entrepreneurs who are building real-world urban solutions that will contribute to a better planet, enable vibrant communities, and enhance individual wellbeing. Early-stage startups and teams are encouraged to apply by January 22. The winners will receive increased visibility, connection with investors, over $25,000 in startup resources, and an opportunity to join the Technology Pioneers of the World Economic Forum.

Participating cities (and their mayors) include Lagos, Nairobi, Kigali, Jakarta, Dhaka, Rio de Janeiro, Bogota, and Buenos Aires.

We'll also hold regular events for the public around the future of emergent cities from December to February. Come join us!

There are three ways to get involved:

01/ Apply for the challenge

02/ Attend the virtual public events

03/ Follow on Instagram for updates

Design events
Disability in America

Society was created for individuals with specific physical abilities. Some disability advocates would argue that this reality has bred ingenuity and adaptability among disabled people that drives innovative, technological change. Join Washington Post Live on Tuesday, Nov. 30 at 1:30 p.m. ET for a conversation that explores how disability drives innovation featuring founder and CEO of Tilting the Lens Sinéad Burke, entrepreneur Wesley Hamilton and architect Jeffrey Mansfield.

Event recording: https://youtu.be/qKIHKH9Dz_k

Stream here: wapo.st/disabilitynov2021

Learn more here

TUI 2021 Final Project Exhibition

The "Theory and Practice of Tangible User Interfaces" class will be having the second part of their student project exhibitions on Wednesday 12/1! All projects will be on display, from 10:00 - 11:30am in 310 Jacobs Hall. Please stop by for a chance to try the experimental tangible interactive demos for yourself!

Berkeley Art Studio's Holiday Pop-Up Shop
While you're saving dates, mark your calendars for the Art Studio's Annual Holiday Pop-Up Shop from December 3-12. Need holiday gifts but are tired of shopping at the same old big-box stores and online-mega-retailers? Pick up your holiday gifts at the Berkeley Art Studio‘s Holiday Pop-Up Shop on the UC Berkeley campus. We carry artist-made ceramics, drawings, paintings, prints, photographs, jewelry, and more! Located in Stephen's Lounge MLK Student Union, UC Berkeley campus. More information can be found on the Art Studio's website.

Can't wait to start shopping? Shop our online store TODAY!

Design Museum Mentoring
Are you a student and/or designer looking to share your work and make connections with industry leaders? Join us on December 10 from 3:00-5:00 pm ET for our first-ever virtual Design Museum Mentoring event. Open to students and new designers, this program offers participants the opportunity to receive personalized feedback and career advice, and expand their design community. Registration is free; all attendees will be asked to participate.

Design jobs
Digital/Print Design Work for Interested Students!
There are two projects in need of design work -- if interested please email Prof. Jill Miller (jillm...@berkeley.edu) a short note about which jobs you are interested in, an outline of design experience, name of a professor/staff member who would vouch for your ability to meet deadlines, and a link to your portfolio. Emails will be reviewed on a rolling basis until jobs are filled, so reach out ASAP! Stipends are in the form of an award applied to students' university account.
  • Project 1: A digital publication that shows the projects and course workshops for Humanities 196: Berkeley Food Files. (This could be a website or pdf using a template. Does not have to be “custom” built.) The class is currently running Fall 2021, and the publication could be worked on over winter break with a January deadline. The stipend is $600.
  • Project 2: A digital and print publication about Food Art Bank. Same guidelines as the one above. The difference is that this one would need to be printed as well. January or February deadline (somewhat flexible). Stipend $600-$1000 depending on design experience and hours worked, negotiable.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
BerkeleyDiscovery.png
TUI2021.Exhibition.jpg