Design opportunities digest - September 16, 2022

Amy Dinh

Sep 16, 2022, 9:15:48 PM9/16/22
to Community

Hello Jacobs community,

This week we have different opportunities to gain technical skills, learn about engineering and network with prominent Latinx engineers, and receive financial support if you are involved in the arts.

Enjoy!

Amy

General Opportunities

  • East Bay Relief Funds for Individuals in The Arts (Deadline Sept. 28)

Events

  • Día de la Ingeniería/Latinx Engineering Day on September 25

  • Intro to Python for Data Science Bootcamp in October

Career

  • Hiring for Robotics Engineering Position!

General Opportunities

East Bay Relief Fund for Individuals in the Arts

The East Bay Relief Fund for Individuals in the Arts is a pooled fund led by Kenneth Rainin Foundation with support from the Hellman Foundation, Phyllis C. Wattis Foundation, Gerbode Foundation, East Bay Community Foundation, and Walter & Elise Haas Fund. The Fund makes available $481,496 to help the region’s artists, teaching artists, culture bearers, and nonprofit arts workers who need financial help as a result of the COVID-19 federally recognized qualified disaster. Grants will be distributed to reflect the diversity of the East Bay—Alameda and Contra Costa Counties—including those who are of historically underserved communities and whose marginalized status have made the economic impacts of COVID-19 more difficult financially on them.

Applicants can apply for up to $2,000 and we ask that you only apply if you have or are anticipating immediate needs. This is because we want to reserve as much of the Relief Fund as possible for those facing significant financial threats. The Fund will prioritize the financial needs of individuals who are of cultural communities that are historically underserved and are particularly financially vulnerable—Black, Indigenous, Latinx, foreign-born immigrants, trans, and people with disabilities—and distribute the funds throughout the two-county East Bay region.

Wednesday, September 28, 2022, at 12 p.m. (Noon) PT: Application Deadline

Events

Día de la Ingeniería/Latinx Engineering Day on September 25

Join Latinx Engineering Day for a family-friendly collaboration between the Exploratorium and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE). This annual program is conducted bilingually in Spanish and English and provides opportunities to meet with prominent engineers in the Latinx community.

This event will be held on Sunday September 25 noon-5:00 pm

Click here for more information and to purchase your tickets.

Intro to Python for Data Science Bootcamp in October

Introduction to Python Bootcamp is a beginner-friendly workshop and it is even preferred that you come with no knowledge of Python to allow everyone to all learn at about the same pace.

Python, while recently becoming the most popular programming language, is widely considered the easiest programming language to learn! It is nevertheless one of the most powerful. Because of its English-like syntax, Python is rapidly becoming the default language in the widest variety of areas of expertise, from city planning to astrophysics, to biotechnology, to sociology

To register, fill out this form (signups for the October workshops open on Monday).

Career

Hiring for Robotics Engineering Position!

Emancro is developing multi-purpose logistics robots for hospitals to perform tasks such as delivering medical supplies to nurses as well as restocking storage rooms. The company was founded by Frederik Ebert who recently obtained a PhD in CS from Berkeley.

They are looking to hire a mechatronics robotics engineer with expert-level skills in mechanical design (Solidworks), programming in C++ and python, ROS, Arduino, and control engineering. Please find more details here.

They have just signed a letter of intent with a large hospital and received significant funding from top-tier investors Khosla Ventures and Amplify Partners.The technology behind their learning-based robotic manipulation system is based on research Frederik conducted with his colleagues during his PhD. Emancro is advised by Frederik's PhD research mentors Prof. Sergey Levine and Prof. Chelsea Finn.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here