Friday Events + The Jacobs Community Maker Pass

Lauren Ardis

Sep 9, 2021, 6:39:57 PM9/9/21
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hello Jacobs Community!

I hope you've all had a great week. Here are a few reminders of upcoming events and deadlines, including tomorrow's Design Pioneers conversation with Dr. Jeff Rulifson, and the final opportunities to take part in a Jacobs back-to-school event. We hope to see you!

Have a great weekend,
Lauren

EVENTS + OPPORTUNITIES

DESIGN PIONEERS, DR. JEFF RULIFSON
September 10, 2021
12–1 PM

Join us tomorrow, Friday, September 10, for Design Pioneers with Dr. Jeff Rulifson. Rulifson is a computer scientist, most notably recognized as the software designer for the 1968 Computer Society's Fall Joint Computer Conference's "Mother of All Demos." This historical demonstration was led by Douglas Engelbart, who, alongside Jeff Rulifson's designs, demonstrated essentially all of the fundamental elements of modern personal computing.

This talk will be facilitated on Zoom for our public audience, but students are invited and encouraged to join us at 310 Jacobs Hall for a screening of the conversation. If you would like to join, please make sure to wear a mask and bring your own device to login for the Q+A. Register for the talk here

DESIGN FIELD NOTES, NICOLE PANDITI
The Right to Repair
September 14, 2021
4–5 PM

Design Field Notes will continue next week, with our very own Nicole Panditi! Nicole works as a Design Technician at the Jacobs Makerspace, and is an expert in plastics, fabrication, product design and prototyping, and sustainability analysis. As always, this talk is free and open to the public. Visit our Design Field Notes page for full details and find the link to join the Zoom.

FINAL WEEK OF BACK TO CAMPUS EVENTS
Friday, September 10, 2021

Tomorrow concludes our back-to-school events for the fall semester. Get to know the campus makerspaces with our Makerspace Crawl; learn more about the Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation (BCDI) at our info-session; or join the Arts + Design team for an exciting talk about building a creative community. Join one, join them all! Learn more on our news post

COMMUNITY MAKER PASS APPLICATION DEADLINE
September 12, 2021

Sunday, September 12 is the final day to apply for a Community Maker Pass. If you are interested in joining the Jacobs Makerspace but do not qualify for a Maker Pass through a course, club, research, or other usual method, please apply! Learn more here