Upcoming@Jacobs: Design Showcase, student supervisor openings, new portfolio class, Design [Fair]

Amy Dinh

Aug 10, 2022, 9:24:03 PM8/10/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

This newsletter contains information about our culminating event of the summer, the Jacobs Design Showcase (happening this Friday!), as well as some exciting fall opportunities that we encourage you to apply for if interested. Stay tuned next week for even more fall semester opportunities, programs, back to school events, and more!

Best,

Amy

JACOBS SUMMER DESIGN SHOWCASE
You are invited to the Summer 2022 Jacobs Design Showcase this Friday, August 12th from 10:00am-2:30pm at Jacobs Hall. Get more details about the showcase here

This summer our Design Showcase will feature work from students in the Maker Launchpad, the Berkeley Engineering Design Scholars Program, and Engineering 29: Manufacturing and Design Communication. The event is open to the public and all are welcome. See you there!

NOW HIRING STUDENT SUPERVISORS
We are hiring new students to join the Jacobs Student Supervisor team this fall semester! Student Supervisors are responsible for helping the Jacobs Hall makerspace run smoothly and safely. The job description is posted in two places and you can also apply through both platforms:
For more information, please visit our Student Roles at Jacobs page.

NEW FALL COURSE: DES INV 190 DESIGNING YOUR PROFESSIONAL PORTFOLIO
The Jacobs Institute is launching a new short course this fall: DES INV 190: Designing Your Professional Portfolio. Having a great portfolio is key to landing a job in the design profession. This course aims to help get a student’s portfolio off the ground by showing good and bad examples, strategies on creating impressions for reviewers, and a step-by-step guide on how to put one’s first portfolio together. We will review/critique student portfolios together as a way to learn and build up on each other’s work. Students will receive additional feedback from design professionals and guest reviewers on how to refine and push their portfolios past the first finish line.

This one-unit course will be taught by Purin Phanichphant on Fridays over 8 weeks this fall (September 9 - October 28). Enrollment/participation (including # of auditors) is limited and requires an application. Applications are due by Friday, September 2. Learn more on this one page overview

NEW COURSE STUDENT GROUP LEADERS: REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DESIGN [FAIR] AT BERKELEY

The Design [Fair] at Berkeley is a platform for Berkeley clubs, decals, and design-related organizations to share what they do for students interested in learning and exploring design. The event is being organized by Design@Berkeley and hosted at Jacobs Hall.

Please fill out this form if you are a club or decal interested in participating, and D@B will contact you soon with details: https://forms.gle/Kr6BipghokcKQZTBA

Sign-ups are due August 19 11:59 PM PST

Date: Friday, Sept 2, 2022

Time: 10am to 2pm PST

Where: Jacobs Hall 310 (in-person)

Contact: @designatberk on Instagram

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here

Amy Dinh

Aug 10, 2022, 9:26:04 PM8/10/22
to Community
Hi, quick clarification about the last announcement heading--the extra few words at the start are a typo. The heading should just read:

STUDENT GROUP LEADERS: REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DESIGN [FAIR] AT BERKELEY