Design opportunities digest - March 23 ☀

Amy Dinh

Mar 23, 2022, 7:56:16 PMMar 23
to Community
Hi all,

It may be spring break, but there's no break in the design opportunities awaiting you. :) Check out some upcoming events, competitions, programs, jobs, and more that might interest you. We're also sharing an announcement on behalf of one of the Empathie, one of the project teams in the current Innovation Catalysts student grant program. Learn more about them below and start thinking about ideas you can submit when we look for our next grant cohort in August.

Design general opportunities
  • Empathie, A Self-Guided Learning App
  • Amazing Maker Awards (apply by 6/1)
  • 2022 James Dyson Award: Now Open for Entries (apply by 7/6)
  • Call for Abstracts - 13th Annual California Cognitive Science Conference (deadline: 3/31)
Design events
  • Disc* Info Session (3/29)
  • Health Tech CoLab Distinguished Speaker Series -- FDA: The Fundamentals with Makesh Ramalingam, HCL Technologies (3/31)
  • Discovery Panel: Undergraduate Projects on Community-Engaged Arts and Design (4/1)
Design jobs
  • GSI Opportunity: Fung Fellowship, Fall 2022
Best,

Amy

Design general opportunities
Empathie, A Self-Guided Learning App
Empathie is a self-guided learning app with a mission to empower our community to uncover the “why” behind our thoughts and behaviors that might be influenced by our cultural backgrounds. The app includes bite-sized video tutorials and habit-building activities created by licensed therapists that provide additional perspective to topics such as family, self-compassion, and more.

Learn more about how you can use Empathie to find greater balance in life here: https://www.empathie.care/

P.S. Want to support Empathie’s mission? Share about Empathie with your friends!
Share Empathie with friends, colleagues, or anyone who might be interested in our self-guided learning app that teaches racial minorities how to navigate life situations involving family, day-to-day interactions, self-compassion, and other stresses. We add a perspective that’s inclusive of an individual’s culture.

Instagram: @empathie.care
TikTok: @empathiecare

Amazing Maker Awards
We at Make: are excited to announce the 2022 opening of the Amazing Maker Awards! This new awards program is open to any individual or group of makers to submit a project for consideration. The community and an invited panel of judges will review accepted projects. The finalists will be selected to be part of an online exhibition of unique projects scheduled for this summer. Join us as we create global recognition of the purpose they bring to both the project creators and the larger community of the maker movement. There are many ways to get involved, so come check it out! Learn more. The call for applications closed June 1, 2022.

2022 James Dyson Award: Now Open for Entries
The James Dyson Award is an international design award that celebrates, encourages, and inspires the next generation of design engineers. The challenge is simple: design something that solves a problem. The award opens on March 16 and closes on July 6.

Who can enter?
It is open to current university students of engineering, product design and industrial design – and those who have graduated in these subjects in the last four years. We'll ask to see official
documentation that proves it.

What can you win?
Students that enter have the opportunity to win $6,000 as a national winner and $40,000 as an
international winner. In 2020, we added an additional $40,000 prize for the sustainability award
winner, which is the best entry that addresses an environmental issue.

What is the Sustainability Award?
James Dyson recognizes this need and wants to celebrate sustainability-related ideas. As a result, there is an additional $40,000 prize for the best entry that addresses the environmental or social issues or that has been designed, sourced and manufactured with sustainability in mind.

How can you enter?
Visit jamesdysonaward.com and register your project, filling in the key details of how it solves a real world problem. If any questions arise, you are welcome to get in touch with me or email Samantha at the James Dyson Foundation, at Samantha...@dyson.com

Call for Abstracts - 13th Annual California Cognitive Science Conference

The UC Berkeley Cognitive Science Student Association asks you to save the date for the Thirteenth Annual California Cognitive Science Conference on Saturday, April 16, 2022, held on the UC Berkeley campus in the Hearst Mining Building. This year, the theme is CCSC22: Construing Reality: The Distortions of the Mind. We are excited to explore this topic from the perspectives of Computer Science, Psychology, Neuroscience, Linguistics, Anthropology, and Philosophy.

Submit your 300 word or less abstract here by March 31st to be consideredYou will be notified about the status of your submission no later than April 10th, 2022. If your submission is accepted, you will be able to showcase your research at Conference.

You can look forward to a weekend of thought-provoking talks, research poster presentations, and networking opportunities. Register here between now and April 1st for free early bird tickets! You can find more information at cogscicon.berkeley.edu.

Design events
Disc* Info Session
Disc* is an immersive five-week summer program for college students offered by UC Berkeley's College of Environmental Design. It explores an interdisciplinary and multi-scalar approach to design and analysis in the urban environment. Disc* participants engage in the discourses of urban innovation, and develop creative solutions to tackle the urgent challenges global cities face today. Disc* is open to eligible students from any college or university. No prior experience in design is necessary.

Sign up for the Disc* Information session Design & Innovation for Sustainable Cities: On March 29, 2022 at 5pm PT, you will learn more about the UC Berkeley summer program. Sign-up for the virtual session now.

Health Tech CoLab Distinguished Speaker Series -- FDA: The Fundamentals with Makesh Ramalingam, HCL Technologies
March 31st, 6:00pm - 7:00pm PST in Blum 120

Join us in-person or virtually on Thursday, March 31st, at 6:00pm PST to learn about the evolving roles of the FDA and international regulatory bodies in ensuring the safety and efficacy of medical devices. Makesh will draw upon his decades of experience supporting medical device companies to explain the process of bringing devices to market and the unique challenges posed by individual countries’ regulatory standards. See attached flyer for more information about Makesh and RSVP to receive the agenda and zoom details. See you there!

Discovery Panel: Undergraduate Projects on Community-Engaged Arts and Design
Friday, April 1st, 4-5pm
Register for Zoom panel here

How can art and design make a social impact and build community? How can you get involved in creative discovery and community service? Join us for a conversation with undergraduates from wide ranging disciplines who are deeply involved in campus projects or programs that use arts and design to engage communities.

Student panelists include: Malachi Tran (Arts + Design Student Council), Nassirah Nelson (Platform Artspace, Fung Fellowship), Grace Hunzicker (Creative Residencies for Emerging Artists Teaching Empowerment), and Valerie V. Ekko (Jacobs Innovation Catalyst Grant), Brandon James Yung & Sam Greenberg (Telegraph for People organization) .

This event is part of the new campus series "Interventions & Innovations: Undergraduates in Conversation About Their Discovery Projects" hosted by the Discovery Hub.

Design jobs
GSI Opportunity: Fung Fellowship, Fall 2022

The Fung Fellowship is hiring advanced graduate students to join our team as Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) starting Fall 2022 for 25% positions for three upper level undergraduate student courses: (1) Health + Tech and (2) Conservation +Tech, and (3) FF Honors Program. The positions are for Fall 2022 with the opportunity to continue into Spring 2023.

(1) Health+Tech: Fellows (i.e., the students) work in teams to develop digital technology solutions and innovations to address real world public health challenges paired with partner organizations. Lecture: Tuesdays 5:00pm - 7:00pm Lab Sections: TBD

(2) Conservation+Tech: Fellows work in teams to develop digital technology solutions and innovations to address real world conservation challenges paired with partner organizations.

Lecture: Wednesdays 5:00pm - 7:00pm  Lab Sections: TBD

(3) Honors Program: The Honors Program provides an opportunity for fellows to further engage in the design process and product development by continuing work on a concept from the first year, starting a new venture, or a new project pitched by a partner organization. The emphasis is less on class lectures and more on independent team activities resembling an innovation lab.  All-Hands: Thursdays 5:00 - 7:00pm  GSI Labs: TBD

For the Health and Conservation courses the position will require the GSIs to: 1) attend one two-hour lecture per week; 2) lead multiple weekly lab sessions; and 3) provide mentoring and support for student project teams. For the Honors Program course, the GSI will host meetings with each student team every two weeks and lead the all-hands meeting once a month with support from Program Staff. For all courses, the GSIs will work closely with the Fung Fellowship’s Lecturer and Program team to structure the lab time in a way that facilitates integration of classroom and community-based learning to drive digital technology innovations within the Fellows’ project teams.

Our GSIs are motivated students with professional experience who provide feedback and mentoring to the Fung Fellows. Our GSIs support Fellows in working as highly functioning design teams with a breadth of understanding in innovation, public health/conservation, digital technology, and product design. You’ll be expected to draw on your prior professional and academic experience to design the lab sessions and ensure students tie the design concepts learned in class to their hands-on project work. This is a great opportunity for you to make an impact with an eager group of talented and diverse undergrads.

Required Qualifications:

  • Teaching experience and experience mentoring student team projects.

  • Experience owning and delivering on several projects simultaneously.

  • Experience working and/or teaching in one of the following two environments:

    • Public Health innovations, with an emphasis on tech or data

    • Conservation/Biodiversity  innovations, with an emphasis on tech or data

  • Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate with a diverse teaching and program team in digital and in-person environments

  • Desire to work with diverse groups of undergraduate students

  • Interest in public health or biodiversity conservation, leadership, technology, and teaming.

  • Interest in contributing to curriculum development and materials.

  • Takes initiative and is a self-motivated individual with the ability to work independently.

Preferred Qualifications:

  • Prior experience in research or working at the intersection of health or conservation and technology.

  • Professional interest in ABD PhD candidates with a flexible schedule (Note: we also hire excellent second-year masters students.)

HOW TO APPLY:

  1. Learn more about the program at: https://fungfellows.berkeley.edu/

  2. Please apply by completing this online application form: https://forms.gle/fv6n53nHW5b1SxZn7

  3. Please email a copy of your CV to FF_GSI_.cgcx...@u.box.com, that includes your first and last name in the file name.

  4. We will begin interviewing candidates on a rolling basis and would like to find a good fit by the end of April.

Questions? Please contact Program Director, Jennifer Mangold at
jman...@berkeley.edu

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
FDA Fundamentals_Final.pdf