Design opportunities digest - July 1

Amy Dinh

Jul 1, 2022, 12:39:18 PMJul 1
to Community

Hello Jacobs Community,

This week's design opportunity digest includes courses for the upcoming semester, a design competition, performances brought to you by your Cal peers, and a few job/part-time fellowship posts. Please heed the application deadlines for some of the programs and competitions that are in early July!

Have a good long weekend,

Amy

General Opportunities

  • CS Scholars Fall 2022 Application Now Open (apply by 7/6)

  • Design Intelligence Awards (apply by 7/8)

  • Fall 2022 “Coaching for Self-Actualization” Course

  • Fall 2022 GEOG 172: Sonic Geographies of Oakland

Events

  • The Art of Tinkering exhibition at the Exploratorium

  • Cal Performances 2022-23 theme: Human and Machine

Career

  • Cal Maritime Job Opportunity

  • Fellowship Opportunity with Arkeon Productions (apply by 7/10)

General Opportunities

CS Scholars Fall 2022 Application Now Open!

CS Scholars offers a learning community for undeclared Letters and Science students interested in the Computer Science major, engineering undeclared, and declared EECS majors.

First priority to the program will be given to under-resourced, CS under-served, first-generation college students and women. For more information and to view prerequisites click here

The application will close on Wednesday, July 6th, 2022. To apply click here

Design Intelligence Awards

The Design Intelligence Award (DIA) is the first international academic award in industrial design established by the China Academy of Art. Created to celebrate innovators and entrepreneurs’ imagination and inventiveness Entries can be finished products or conceptual products in Cultural Innovation, Life Wisdom, Industrial Equipment, and Digital Economy.

The Deadline to submit entries is July 8, 2022. To apply visit DIA, for first-time users click register under the log-in box. If there are any questions email d...@core77.com . Not sure if your work fits–Check out the 2021 winners here

Fall 2022 “Coaching for Self-Actualization” Course

Coaching for Self-Actualization provides an individualized process where students are coached to build self-efficacy and personal agency. This course is grounded in a positive psychology approach, which is predicated on the belief that a person has the solutions to their most pressing challenges within themselves. Enrolled students will be paired with a Coach Guide for six one-on-one coaching sessions and also participate in small-group discussions facilitated by a Coaching Supervisor.

This course is open to any Jr. or Sr. from any department or major. Click here for more information.

Fall 2022 GEOG 172: Sonic Geographies of Oakland

This is a field and practice-based course in which students record, edit, and produce audio works that document and interpret the geographies of Oakland. Through this work, students will experiment with the field of “sonic geography”.

No special equipment or prior experience in sound recording or editing is necessary. For more information click here.

Events

The Art of Tinkering Exhibition

The Art of Tinkering exhibition is open at the Exploratorium from now through September 5.

See familiar things used in unfamiliar ways with creations by Natasha Dzurny, Junior Fritz Jacquet, Diane Landry, Golan Levin, Reuben Margolin, Tosa Novmichi, Jie Qi, Scott Weaver, and Daniel Wurtzel.

To see the different events and dates, visit the Exploratorium website.

Cal Performances 2022-23 Theme: Human and Machine

Through the 2022–23 season theme “Human and Machine,” Illuminations explores the many roles technology plays in both catalyzing and challenging creative expression and human communication.

Explore the different performances and dates here.

Career

Cal Maritime Job Opportunity

Instructional Support and MakerSpace Technician opportunity at Cal Maritime Academy. The technician will coordinate and supervise the training and mentoring of faculty, staff, and student users in the Makerspace and the use of the equipment and materials.

The job works on a first-come-first-served basis. To apply click here.

Fellowship Opportunity with Arkeon Productions

Arkeon Productions’s mission is to connect people through storytelling, dynamic digital content, and beyond. With a particular focus on amplifying the visions of young people of color, we set the stage for collaborations which transcend cultural, generational, and geographic boundaries.

Remote fellowships will span 8 weeks. Applications for fellowships can be found here and must be submitted by July 10th, 2022. Participants will set their own hours, with 4-8 hours per week as the general estimate based on their individual project’s scope and needs. After project completion, interns will receive a summer stipend of $350. Questions should be submitted to prog...@arkeon.org

Application Link HERE
Program Details HERE

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here