Design opportunities digest

Amy Dinh

Jul 30, 2021, 8:23:25 PM7/30/21
to Community
Hi everyone,

Here are a couple of creative student assistant roles if you're looking for on-campus work this fall.

Cheers!

Amy

Design Jobs
  • Call for Undergrad Comms Assistant, Arts + Design (Work Study Required)
  • Future Histories Lab Video Production Student Assistant
Design Jobs
Call for Undergrad Comms Assistant, Arts + Design (Work Study Required)
Fall 2021 and Spring 2022
$18 dollars per hour; 6-10 hours per week

The Office of Berkeley Arts + Design (A+D) is seeking one friendly, responsible undergraduate student to join the communications team. Responsibilities will include managing and producing content for A+D’s social media accounts, website, and various campaigns, as well as providing design production support as needed. The ideal candidate is attentive to detail, possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills, has some design, web, or social media experience, and has a strong interest in arts and design activities on the Berkeley campus.

This position will begin in mid-August through mid-May 2022 for a 6-10 hour weekly commitment. This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate looking to gain valuable hands-on work experience in digital and visual communications. The position is open to students with work study eligibility only.

If interested, please forward a current resume, short one-page cover letter, and collection of past work to Soomin Suh at smi...@berkeley.edu. All materials should be combined into one PDF file. Position open until filled. We look forward to hearing from you!

Click here for the full job posting.

Future Histories Lab Video Production Student Assistant
Job Title:  Video Production Student Assistant
Commitment: 5-10 hours / week
Compensation: $16.32/ hour

About Us:
Future Histories Lab is an interdisciplinary program at UC Berkeley based at the College of Environmental Design and the Arts and Humanities Division. We offer project-based, community engaged courses and public programming.  We research stories of places in order to propose new futures and believe that understanding the history under our feet is necessary to plan for change in our communities.

We are seeking someone with a good sense of story and an understanding of our mission as well as technical editing skills. Experience conducting interviews is helpful.  This is a good chance for a dedicated videographer/editor to build their portfolio.

Responsibilities:
  • Attend and set up camera/audio equipment for recording lectures and events.
  • Edit and format footage for YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter in a timely manner.
  • Create longer promotional videos as well as short social media clips.
  • Interview students, faculty, and community members.
  • Edit footage shot by others.
Candidate Requirements:
  • Demonstrated experience with video editing and camera/audio troubleshooting
  • Knowledge of Adobe Premiere
  • Ability to convert video to different social media formats
  • Knowledge of video requirements of various social media platforms including YouTube
  • Flexible schedule to attend Future Histories Lab events
  • Punctuality and reliability
  • Attention to detail, proofreading and deadlines
  • Good email communication skills

Please email globalurba...@berkeley.edu with a resume and link to work samples. Please describe the types, length, and intended audience of the video pieces you have made and the work setting (i.e. were the videos for a class, in a professional setting, independent work, etc.) Please explore our website and explain how you would contribute to our mission.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Share your design interests and questions via drop-in advisingemail, or scheduled appointment

COVID-19 updates:
  • I am working remotely while shelter-in-place orders are in effect. Please do not hesitate to contact me remotely during this time.
  • Updates regarding Jacobs programs & operations can be found here
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here

Amy Dinh

Aug 5, 2021, 8:17:46 PM8/5/21
to Community
Hi everyone,

This week's opportunities digest includes showcases, competitions, exhibitions, and more. Enjoy!

Design Events
  • Citris Invention Lab: Open House (8/11 - 8/13 & 8/16 - 8/17)
  • SkyDeck Pitch Showcase for Taiwan Tech Arena (TTA) (8/19)
Design general opportunities
  • Paid Research Study on Human-Computer Interaction for Engineering Design
  • Parmigiano Reggiano Design Competition (9/15)
  • "Call & Response: Craft as a Tool for Activism" – a New Virtual Exhibition
Best,

Amy

Design Events
Citris Invention Lab: Open House
Upcoming Events: Open House | August 11-13 & 16-17, 2021 from 10am to 3pm

Join us for our reopening open house!

Green badge on Berkeley App, face mask, and hand sanitization will be required to enter.
Lab will be open M-F 8am-7pm beginning August 18, 2021 at the start of the Fall 2021 academic semester. Learn more on our website.

SkyDeck Pitch Showcase for Taiwan Tech Arena (TTA)
On Thursday, August 19th from 5-7pm PDT, SkyDeck will be hosting a pitch showcase for Taiwan Tech Arena (TTA). TTA is an initiative funded by the Taiwanese Ministry of Science and Technology.  TTA Silicon Valley serves as a bridge connecting Taiwanese startups to Silicon Valley.

Don’t miss the opportunity to see 10 cutting edge Taiwanese startups and their latest innovations in biotech, enterprise SaaS, music tech, and AI/ML. Investors, strategic partners, potential clients, and all members of our community are encouraged to attend. Register for this August 19th event today!

Register.

Design general opportunities
Paid Research Study on Human-Computer Interaction for Engineering Design
We are looking for participants who have taken a mechanics course to complete a task related to optimizing designs with model assistance.

Participants will be asked to complete:
  • 1 online design task
  • 1 post-task survey
Participants will be compensated:
  • $10 via an Amazon gift card
Time commitment:
  • 30 minutes
Eligibility
  • 18 years old and above
  • Taken a course in structural/solid mechanics (e.g. in mechanical or civil engineering)
Participation is completely voluntary. If you are interested, please enter your email in the following form: https://forms.gle/x82jKpJpKx58xiyz8. You will be sent further details and instructions as well as a link to the study in the next week.

Parmigiano Reggiano Design Competition
Call for Entries:
Parmigiano Reggiano Design Challenge 2021

Iconic Italian design brands Alessi and Kartell, are sponsoring the Parmigiano Reggiano® Design Challenge – inviting professional designers and design students to submit product design concepts based on the theme of “AUTHENTICITY”. The deadline is September 15, 2021.

Awards:
Best of Show wins a one week, all expenses paid trip for two to Italy, including VIP private tours of the sponsors facilities! Additionally, the winners in each category will receive Gold, Silver and Bronze awards, plus gifts from the sponsors.

"Call & Response: Craft as a Tool for Activism" – a New Virtual Exhibition
The Museum of Craft and Design is pleased to announce Call & Response: Craft as a Tool for Activism, a nationwide virtual exhibition and artist marketplace, highlighting 50 artists who are working at the crucial intersection of craft and activism by uplifting their political ideals and their communities through their medium of choice.

This past May, MCD launched an open call to artists and craftspeople resulting in 421 submissions employing a diverse range of mediums, practices, and concepts. Of these entries, our panel of three jurors (curator and writer Glenn Adamson; ceramist and teacher Ebitenefya Baralaye; and adjunct professor, artist, and E.D. of Public Glass Nate Watson) selected 50 artists to include in the virtual exhibition.

Among the 50 selected artists, three prize winners were chosen: First Place was awarded to Ann Morton’s Violet Protest, 2021; Second Place to Sobia Ahmad’s wherever you are is called Here, 2019; and Third Place to Hannah Alex Younger's Relational Values, 2017.

Dive deeper online and learn more about all 50 participating artists. Call & Response: Craft as a Tool for Activism is now live and on view at sfmcd.org. The Artist Marketplace is a companion to the virtual exhibition, which we invite you to explore, shop, and support the artists through September 30, 2021, at shop.sfmcd.org

Amy Dinh

Aug 10, 2021, 7:17:10 PM8/10/21
to Community
Hello everyone,

Update from the CITRIS Invention Lab team: the open house event that I shared last week is canceled since Sutardja Dai Hall, the building in which the Invention Lab is located, is not going to open until August 18th.

Please share this update with anyone that you might have forwarded the event to—thank you!

Best,

Amy

Amy Dinh

Aug 11, 2021, 6:05:27 PM8/11/21
to Community
Hi everyone,

Here's a smattering of design opportunities for you all, including the fall Design Fair, the first of many announcements about back-to-school opportunities! Lauren will send out more info about Jacobs back-to-school events later this week, so stay tuned for that as well. And please note that the CITRIS Invention Lab, as mentioned yesterday, is canceled, but they have a nice virtual tour that you can check out in the meantime.

Design Events
  • CITRIS Invention Lab: Open House CANCELLED
  • Design Fair (student groups register by 8/12, event on 9/27)
Design general opportunities
  • VentureWell E-Team Grants (apply by 8/20)
Design Jobs
  • Digital Product Design Openings at Fintech Startup
Best,

Amy

Design Events
CITRIS Invention Lab: Open House CANCELLED
Event update: The CITRIS Invention Lab open house on August 11-13 & 16-17 has been canceled. Our apologies for the inconvenience. We look forward to seeing you on campus soon! Until then, join Eric Paulos, faculty director and co-founder of the Invention Lab, and Chris Myers, senior lab manager, on a virtual video tour of the space and tools by clicking here.

Design Fair
The Fall 2021 Design Fair is here!
Whether you're a designer or just curious, come meet design-related clubs, decals, and organizations! The Design Fair will be hybrid this year with an in-person fair and video presentations for all attending clubs.
Register at http://tinyurl.com/design-fair-2021 by 08/12 if you're a club or decal interested in participating. We hope to see you there!

Design general opportunities
VentureWell E-Team Grants
We're seeking student teams developing innovative science-and engineering-based solutions to large-scale social challenges! Submitting a brief application for the Qualification Phase is the first step for teams aiming to unlock up to $25,000 in E-Team Grants, as well as the essential entrepreneurship training they need to advance their invention.

Applications for the Qualification Phase are due on August 20.

Teams with promising inventions that align with our mission—solving the world's biggest challenges and creating lasting impact—will receive an invitation to the next application stage, personalized feedback on their proposal, and support in applying! VentureWell is committed to broadening participation in innovation and entrepreneurship—we strongly encourage teams with members from groups underrepresented in science and technology to apply.

Design Jobs
Digital Product Design Openings at Fintech Startup
Compound helps startup founders and employees optimize their wealth through a technology-powered family office (tracking, investing, equity, lending, estate, tax). Less than a year from launching, we're now helping clients manage billions in assets. We're well funded and hiring across every department (doubling the team). You can learn more.

Reach out to m...@withcompound.com if you are interested.

Amy Dinh

Aug 18, 2021, 7:08:16 PM8/18/21
to Community
Hi all,

We are so looking forward to welcoming you all back to campus and Jacobs Hall soon! Please check out our fall back to school events here and look for Lauren Ardis's Jacobs newsletter this week for more information about happenings at Jacobs Hall. And for today, you can browse these opportunities from our campus partners:

Design general opportunities
  • New Fall Class: Equitable Design Lab
  • Request your Adobe Creative Cloud License
Design events
  • Berkeley Center for New Media Fall Open House (8/31)
Design jobs
  • CITRIS Invention Lab SuperUsers
Best,

Amy

Design general opportunities
New Fall Class: Equitable Design Lab
UGBA 190T.3: Equitable Design Lab
Fall 2021 | Mon/Wed | 11 AM - 1230 PM

The realities of racial inequities are embedded in the cultures, systems, and dynamics of both education and corporate environments. For this reason, it is imperative business thinkers and designers adopt inclusive frameworks as a means of shifting the paradigm. Join us and our network of corporate partners, and learn how you can leverage design thinking as a tool to address issues of racial inequality.

Learn more in the flyer attached below!

Request your Adobe Creative Cloud License!
Here’s an important update about requesting an Adobe Creative Cloud license! Starting on 8/12, students will be able to request their Adobe license for Fall 2021. On Sunday, 8/15, pre-existing student licenses will be deactivated and only licenses requested through the new process will be active.

Key information to be aware of:
  • Students do NOT need to purchase Adobe software. If shown the option to “try” or “buy” Adobe apps, students should go to the Adobe software page to request their license.
  • It can take up to 2 hours after request are made for students to access their license
  • Students will be using a Service Now request form to “Order” their Adobe license. There is No Charge to students for ordering a license through the shopping cart.
Learn more here!

Design events
Berkeley Center for New Media Fall Open House
Join BCNM for our annual open house!

Open to students, faculty, and staff, we invite you to check out some of the exciting new media research taking place on campus. We look forward to introducing you to our new faculty, Executive Committee members and sharing some of the incredible plans we have for the future of the Center.

We also want to hear from you! Tell us what you'd like to see from New Media on the Berkeley campus!

Tuesday, Aug 31 | 4-5:30pm
Online - RSVP here

Design jobs
CITRIS Invention Lab SuperUsers
The Invention Lab is looking for Enthusiastic Individuals with some experience in Making, using 3-D printers and laser cutters. Two (2) hours of in-lab work per week will be required; we will train you in shop safety and proper equipment use. To apply, please contact the Invention Lab at invent...@citris-uc.org with a CV.

UGBA 190T.3 Equitable Design Lab One Pager (Students).pdf

Amy Dinh

Aug 20, 2021, 6:34:55 PM8/20/21
to Community
Hi all,

I am sending out this second design opportunities digest to plug some new opportunities and another opportunity that had an extended deadline (the call for student clubs and decals to join next week's Design Fair so you can introduce yourself to new students). Read on below.

Design Events
  • Design Fair (8/27) Club/DeCal Registration Extended to Today (8/20)
  • Mode Brut Exhibition
Design Jobs
  • Senior Engagement Lead + Facilitator - Digital Transformation Design & Strategy @ Walmart
Have a great weekend and see you all soon!

Best,

Amy

Design Events
Design Fair Club/DeCal Registration Extended to Today
The Design [Fair] at Berkeley is a platform for Berkeley clubs, decals, and design-related organizations to share what they do for students interested in learning and exploring design. This semester, the Design [Fair] at Berkeley will be using a hybrid model, which consists of an in-person fair (highly recommended) and video presentations (mandatory) for all attending design clubs.
Date: Friday, August 27, 2021
Time: 11 AM to 4 PM PST
Where: Jacobs Hall Room 310
Contact: @designatberk on Instagram

Please fill out this form if you are a club or decal interested in participating, and we will contact you soon with details!

Signups have been extended to August 20th at 11:59 PM PST.
Mode Brut Exhibition
Mode Brut, a collaboration between the Museum of Craft and Design and Creativity Explored, is an inspiring fashion-based exhibition featuring unique designs by over 50 Creativity Explored artists. Focusing on fashion as an art practice, this exhibition will feature four new collections made by designer teams alongside developmentally disabled artists. Participating collaborators include: Creativity Explored Studio Line, led by instructor Victor Molina; community art collective Bonanza; Queer advocate and model Yanni Brumfield; and San Francisco-based haute couture fashion brand Tokyo Gamine.

A virtual fashion show featuring the participating artists and their designs and will be streamed online in the coming weeks: stay tuned for an email with an invitation to register for the event.

Mode Brut opens to the public on Saturday, September 4! Learn more and get your tickets for the opening weekend at sfmcd.org.

Design Jobs
Senior Engagement Lead + Facilitator - Digital Transformation Design & Strategy @ Walmart
As a member of the Disruptive Design team at Walmart Global Technology, you’ll have the opportunity to engage and lead internal stakeholders through understanding and addressing some of their most complex challenges in their journey of digital transformation. We lead groups through identifying their critical issues in their organization’s digital maturity and response to change, encompassing technological and cultural opportunities (tools, data, strategy, communications) etc. The nature of the facilitation role is grounded in a mixture of skills including futures thinking, collaboration, problem solving, communications, project management and change management.

Facilitators will need to engage in unfamiliar groups and topics under pressure to rapidly learn the topic and understand challenges to create an environment that empowers ideation for solutions and steer toward actionable outcomes.

Learn more at the full job posting. For questions, please contact Gauri Nirmalchandra Parkar (gauri_...@berkeley.edu), who recently graduated from Cal and works on this team.

Amy Dinh

Aug 27, 2021, 1:35:08 PM8/27/21
to Community
Hi everyone,

Welcome back to Berkeley to all of our returning students! And a hearty welcome to all of you who are stepping onto campus for the first time. Either way, I hope everyone's had a great first week back on campus.

Here is the first design opportunities digest of the semester, chock full of announcements, events, and opportunities to get involved in the design community at Berkeley. Please note that the Design Fair is happening *today* 11am-4pm in Jacobs Hall (there is also a video component for those who can't make it to campus. See you there!

PSA
  • Sign up for California COVID Notify
  • Register to vote in the September gubernatorial recall election
Design events
  • Design Fair (TODAY 8/27)
Design general opportunities
  • Recruiting participants for VR research study (8/29 - 9/3)
  • Museum of Tomorrow Recruitment (9/1, 9/3)
  • 2021 Quip Diversity Scholarships (9/5)
  • Introducing Global Pen Pals (9/10)
  • AWSEM Apple Program (9/13)
  • Citris Aviation Prize (10/15)
  • DiversaTech Recruitment
PSA
Sign up for California COVID Notify
One of the key tools to fight COVID-19 and slow its spread on campus and in the community is right in your pocket. UC Berkeley is participating in a pilot of California COVID Notify, a smartphone-based COVID-19 exposure notification system from the State of California. Once you activate CA Notify, it does all the work. All you do is keep your Bluetooth on. You will only receive alerts if you were in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19. Your privacy is protected as your identity is not known and your location is not tracked.

Learn more about the program and get directions on how to sign up here: https://canotify.uchealth.edu/ucberkeley/

Register to vote in the September gubernatorial recall election
California voters, there is a special recall election for the state governor on September 14th. Please take note of these important upcoming dates--especially if you recently became eligible to vote or have just moved to the state--so that you make your opinion count.
  • August 16th was the first day to vote by mail
  • August 30th is the deadline to register online to vote
  • September 14th is the recall election date, i.e. the last last day to cast a ballot. Voters can conditionally” register and vote at your county elections office or polling location after the voter registration deadline, up to and including Election Day.
For more information on how to register to vote, go to RegistertoVote.ca.gov and for more information on the election, go to https://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/

Events
Design Fair today!
Drop by Design at Berkeley’s Design Fair on August 27th to hear from Berkeley’s design clubs + learn about ways to get involved!

We'll have both an in-person fair and online video presentations from each club. Keep an eye out on our social media for more details!

Insta → @designatberk

Date: Friday, August 27, 2021
Time: 11am - 4pm PST
Where: Jacobs Hall, Room 310

Design general opportunities
Recruiting participants for VR research study
We are recruiting users to participate in a Virtual Reality (VR) research study at UC Berkeley to help us understand how users spectate activities carried out in VR environments.

In this study, you will take roles in using VR applications, and watch someone using VR applications. It is preferred if you have used VR applications before, but not necessary.

The entire study lasts for a maximum of 60 minutes. Participants will be compensated with a $25 Amazon gift card for their time. The study will take place at the Cory Hall, UC Berkeley and is scheduled between Aug 29 - Sep 3, 2021.

In light of the recent events regarding the coronavirus epidemic, during the study, there will be sanitizing protocols in place, all the VR equipment, devices will be sanitized after every study. If you have any flu-like symptoms (e.g. fever, cough, shortness of breath) then please do not register for this study.

If you are interested in participating in the study, please fill out the following form: https://forms.gle/QUMiiggoXWxfkZQx8

Contact Bala Thoravi Kumaravel (ba...@eecs.berkeley.edu) for any questions and concerns regarding the study.

Museum of Tomorrow Recruitment

Museum of Tomorrow (MoT) at Berkeley is recruiting! MoT is an RSO and a sustainability pop-up museum that uses curatorial experiences to empower behavioral change. In the past three years, MoT has gone from an idea to a running project with 10+ physical exhibits and 20+ partners, including government & private corporations. Whether you are into design, marketing, sustainability, business or engineering, we have spots for you (leadership positions as well!). Join us at our virtual info-session on September 1st 5pm (PST) or September 3rd 6pm (PST) to learn what Museum of Tomorrow is all about! Bring a passionate heart, RVSP to our info-session at this link, and we’ll see you soon!

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to MoT’s Founder & CEO at jess...@berkeley.edu

2021 Quip Diversity Scholarships

Quip believes that diverse and inclusive teams are essential to build the best product, to meet our business goals, and to create a work environment where people from all backgrounds can feel like they belong. That's why, six years ago, we created the Quip Diversity Scholarship for students pursuing careers in STEM, and why we're excited and proud to announce that applications for 2021 will be accepted through September 5, 2021.

The Quip team will review applications and choose five winners and five runners-up from underrepresented backgrounds in tech based on demonstrated interest/motivation in computer science or related fields. Each scholarship winner will receive a check for $5,000 and each runner-up will receive a check for $1,000 toward their education. We will also host a fireside chat and virtual lunch for the winners & runners-up with our co-founder and CEO Kevin Gibbs and other Quip engineers.

Learn more here.

Introducing Global Pen Pals
Global Pen Pals is a one-on-one pairing program where BIO matches an international student to another student (either domestic or international) to allow students to make connections from a distance, and take part in cultural exchange. The goal of the program is to connect UC Berkeley students from across the world during a time when they may not be able to be present physically in the US or on campus, as well as to increase cross-cultural exposure and international learning.

If you are interested in participating in the Global Pen Pal program, please complete the sign up form by September 10, 2021. You will be paired with a partner and can begin emailing by mid-September.

AWSEM Apple Program
Are you a woman pursuing an undergraduate degree in Science or Engineering? AWSEM is a mentorship program that seeks to connect undergraduate women pursuing careers in Engineering and Technology with mentors in Apple Engineering.

Come join us! To be considered, applications need to be submitted by 9/13.

Link here:

For more information, see the flyer attached below.

Citris Aviation Prize

The CITRIS Aviation Prize challenges student teams to design, develop and demonstrate a long-distance, fully autonomous flight with a small UAV. This competition is open to all students at the four CITRIS campuses at UC Berkeley, Davis, Merced and Santa Cruz.

The winning proposal will be recognized with the first CITRIS Aviation Design Prize, including a $2,000 cash award and up to $25,000 to demonstrate the actual flight in Spring 2022.

Prize Timeline
Team Registration Open
Aug. 19, 2021, to Oct. 15, 2021

Proposal Submissions Due
Nov. 19, 2021

Proposal Winner Announced

Dec. 17, 2021

Winning Flight Plan Executed by End of Academic Year
Spring 2022

DiversaTech Recruitment
Hey there! We're DiversaTech, a student-run tech consulting group, and we’re currently recruiting new members for our Fall 2021 teams.

At DiversaTech, we firmly believe the most innovative solutions arise from diversity of thought. With more unique perspectives, we are able to better empathize with our clients and ideate truly novel solutions. Each semester, we make it a mission to recruit students from all corners of the Berkeley community, which is why we’re reaching out to you! As students passionate about languages and cultures, we believe you would contribute a unique outlook to our teams!

While you may not have considered joining a consulting group before, DiversaTech strives to make every member’s experience valuable by tailoring projects and professional development opportunities to their personal needs. Since our project teams are reformed every semester, members will continue to learn new skill sets alongside new teammates throughout their time in DiversaTech. From developing content strategy for edtech clients like Edmodo to ideating new features for popular apps like Snapchat, members will get to explore new interests and industries each semester. We also offer workshops and mentorship to ensure all our consultants feel ready to tackle their projects – regardless of prior experience.

To learn more about us and our recruitment process, please visit www.diversatech.org/apply or our Facebook event at https://fb.me/e/JuKzCVRQ. Feel free to also reach out to diversatec...@gmail.com with any questions. Hope to meet you soon!
MuseumOfTomorrow.png
diversatech.png
AWSEM Mentorship Engagement Flyer 2021-2022.pdf

Amy Dinh

Sep 3, 2021, 12:42:18 PM9/3/21
to Community
Hi all,

Here's your opportunities digest for the week, including a lot of interesting student groups and DeCals to check out. In the job opportunities section is one internship for a current student and one role targeted at recent grads (though open to student applicants as well); the latter was shared with us from a former Berkeley student/member of the Jacobs community. More details below. Happy Friday and see some of you at this afternoon's Jacobs makerspace open house, hopefully!

Best,

Amy

Design general opportunities
  • HOPE DeCal (9/9)
  • Join DSO (Development Solutions Organization)! (apps due 9/11)
  • IDOT is recruiting! (apps due 9/15)
  • Join DiversaTech!
  • Berkeley CED Prizes + Awards
Design jobs
  • Design Intern at Canopy Analytics
  • Robot Test Engineer at Covariant.ai

Design general opportunities
HOPE DeCal
Printed circuit boards (PCBs) are the building blocks of modern electronics; they can be found in applications ranging from cell phones to medical devices to rockets. The Hands-On PCB Engineering (HOPE) DeCal teaches students effective PCB design and empowers them to create custom electronics for classes, personal projects, student teams, and more.

Fill out the interest form so we can contact you with any updates before the first class (2021-09-09): https://airtable.com/shr7Audnhzsw2jLJG
We will be emailing out a “first-come, first-serve” enrollment form on Thursday, 2021-09-02 to those who have filled out the interest form.

Check out our DeCal listing for more info: https://decal.berkeley.edu/courses/6020.

Join DSO! (Development Solutions Organization)
Hi everyone! The Development Solutions Organization(DSO) is looking for students who are passionate about their work and who are passionate about solving real-world issues. :raised_hands: The DSO model is unique: it pairs student consultants with working professionals. Our professionals work at celebrated companies like Google, Apple, McKinsey, Box, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Intel, Amazon, Capital One, Agami, Ek Tara, and Ernst & Young.

This following semester, DSO is partnering with Libraries Without Borders (LWB), a non-profit organization focusing on providing access to education for vulnerable and underserved communities. There are two projects, and each DSO member will work on one project.

To learn more about DSO, sign up for virtual coffee chats!
◆ Sign up for Virtual Coffee Chats ◆
https://tinyurl.com/yj2a3ww3◆ DSO Fall 2021 Application, Due on September 11th at 11:59 PM ◆
https://forms.gle/ZMstsyoATWmn4TTVAContact gin...@berkeley.edu if you have any questions.
For more information visit http://www.dsoglobal.org/

IDOT is recruiting!
Interested in design and education? IDOT is a nonprofit organization focused on bringing accessible design education to high school students and is now recruiting for the fall semester! Visit idot-club.org for more information on the roles, as well as the application process.

Applications are open now and are due on September 15 at 11:59PM!
Our first info session will take place tomorrow from 4:00-5:30PM PST at https://bit.ly/idot-info-21. Find us on instagram and facebook as well at @idot.club and IDOT!

Note: Roles are open to all students, not just Berkeley students!

Join DiversaTech!
[...]

Berkeley CED Prizes + Awards
Scholarships, fellowships, internships, and travel opportunities are available for all CED students thanks to generous gifts from alumni. See the full list of awards available for the 2021-2022 academic year here.

Some upcoming prizes:

Design jobs
Design Intern at Canopy Analytics
Canopy Analytics is hiring a contract Product Designer to work with our Head of Product to create high fidelity designs which are ready to hand off to engineering. This role is part time (10-20 hrs / week), a flexible schedule, 75% remote, and paid.

We make it easier for apartment owners and property managers to manage their buildings and to make their renters happier. Our customers love our product (>85% weekly usage, 95% monthly usage) and it drives over $1M ROI annually for their business. We raised $2.5M from top investors and founders in PropTech and grew +500% in the last year. The key to our success has been a strong team obsessed with customer experience and great product engineering.

Click here for the full job description, and email sunny....@canopyanalytics.com for any questions!

Robot Test Engineer at Covariant.ai
As a Robot Test Engineer at Covariant, you will get to work with a start-up team around exciting and cutting edge technology. In this role, you would be collaborating with cross-disciplinary teams to build and test robotic cells for new and exciting applications of our robotics AI technology. We are looking for applicants who can start at a 40 hour/week capacity, although student applicants who can only work half time (~20 hours per week) are welcome to apply. The position starts as a paid internship with potential to become a FT salaried position. Benefits include unlimited PTO, provided lunch and dinner at the office, and flexible hours. If interested, please reach out to jo...@covariant.ai for a full job description and more information. Additional information about the company can be found at  https://covariant.ai/

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers
Student Services & Programs Manager / Lecturer
Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation
College of Engineering | UC Berkeley

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
idot_flyer1.png
idot_flyer2.png
hopedecal.pdf