Design opportunities digest

Amy Dinh

Jun 18, 2021, 5:49:51 PM6/18/21
to Community
Hi all,

Here are some interesting events, courses, and programs that may interest students in the Berkeley design community. Get more details below.

General Opportunities
  • Last chance to enter the 2021 James Dyson Award (6/30)
  • Fung Fellowship Applications Open for Class of 2023 Transfers & Veterans! (7/30)
  • Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology Classes
  • ART+TECH from CODAME: Call For Volunteers
Community Events
  • Where are the Black Designers? (6/26 & 27)
TGIF and happy Juneteenth!

Amy

General Opportunities
Last chance to enter the 2021 James Dyson Award
The 2021 James Dyson Award closes in two weeks. Now is your chance to enter your world-changing idea and kick start your career.

In addition to the £2000 awarded to the national winners, there are two £30,000 global prizes for the taking: the International Sustainability Winner and Overall International Winner. Entrants can also gain international media exposure.

If you're looking for tips on entering, click here to hear from Dyson Design Lead and Top 20 Judge, George Oram, as he explains what the judges are looking for in a winning entry. For additional inspiration, review past entries of award-winning inventions here

All entries can be submitted using the James Dyson Award website and will close on Wednesday 30 June at midnight (Pacific Standard Time). Enter here.

Fung Fellowship applications open to transfers and veterans
What is the Fung Fellowship?
The Fung Fellowship is a unique opportunity for rising juniors, including incoming transfers, from all majors to create innovative solutions to address real-world challenges alongside our community and industry partners. Fung Fellows utilize the iterative human-centered design process, area specific principles, and emerging technology. For the 2021-22 academic year, the Fung Fellowship has two tracks: Health + Tech and Conservation + Tech.

The Fung Fellowship accepts applications from all majors and has no GPA bracket; applications will be reviewed holistically.

Application Deadline: Friday, July 30 at 11:59pm PDT

The Fung Fellowship experience:
Selected Fung Fellows attend a 3-unit course each semester, are supported in career development, and have the opportunity to apply to a second year honors program.
  • Explore a new interdisciplinary landscape
  • Experience the design process from prototype to product
  • Embark on a community-based project to gain real-world experience
  • Establish yourself as a young leader in an emerging field

Next steps:
Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology Classes

Undergraduate and graduate students from all majors are welcome and encouraged to join SCET classes, and all SCET classes can be applied towards the SCET Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Technology. Below is a list of our upcoming summer and fall 2021 classes and details can be found on our website.

Summer 2021 Class (Online - Session D - open to general public)

Fall 2021 Classes

ART+TECH from CODAME: Call For Volunteers
All skillsets, strengths and levels of commitment are welcome, but there are a few skills that we would find particularly valuable:
  • Video Star: Create short movies to showcase artists work and inspire others.
  • Hack Designer: Push the boundaries of ART+TECH to express what CODAME is all about.
  • Workshop Booster: Lead and coordinate our workshops, learn and build stuff together with our Artists.
  • Digital Curator: take the work of our artists to the next level to be experienced also in virtual galleries.
  • Media Press Liaison: Spread the good word and make sure the world doesn’t miss out.
  • Poet: Keep our ART+TECH posts on Mediumfresh with your wit and insights.
  • Web Dev Ninja: Build websites, design as fluidly as drinking a glass of wine.
  • Cyber Conservator: Connect with artists around the world to include in the CODAME HD Collection.
  • Street Team Member: Take our message to the people via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, tumblr and myspace!
  • Event Curator: Have an idea for a great event? Let’s make it happen!
  • Volunteer Champion: Lead, coordinate and recruit more champions
We offer a fun and rewarding experience, where you can learn new skills and pass your knowledge on to others. An opportunity to meet like-minded people, make friends and build a network of people from all backgrounds who share a passion for ART+TECH. We are also offering free tickets to various activities planned at our events or workshops.

Let us know where you could help. Join us! Looking forward to hearing from you.
Join us!

Community Events
Where are the Black Designers?
Conference | June 26 & 27, 2021

Participate in the second annual Where are the Black Designers? conference - a FREE and accessible virtual design conference featuring 30+ voices on topics around crating space, imagining Black futures, believing in black stories, violent vs. non-violent allyship, and more!

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Share your design interests and questions via drop-in advisingemail, or scheduled appointment

COVID-19 updates:
  • I am working remotely while shelter-in-place orders are in effect. Please do not hesitate to contact me remotely during this time.
  • Updates regarding Jacobs programs & operations can be found here
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here

Amy Dinh

Jun 25, 2021, 7:26:14 PM6/25/21
to Community
Hi all,

Here's a short but sweet design opportunities digest to lead you into the holiday weekend (friendly reminder that UC Berkeley is observing Juneteenth on Monday this year). There's an interesting online event tomorrow and a few internships that may interest Jacobs students. More details below!

Design Events
  • DigitalFUTURES-CDRF 2021: The 3rd International Conference on Computational Design and Robotic Fabrication (6/26)
Design Jobs
  • Mechatronics Engineer Intern
  • Summer Job Opportunity: PREP Design Assistant
Best,

Amy

Online, June 26, 2021
https://easychair.org/cfp/CDRF2021
Hosted by College of Architecture and Urban Planning (CAUP), Tongji University

Keynote Lectures
Daniel Bolojan, Gilles Retsin, Matias del Campo & Sandra Manninger, Wolf Prix, Felecia Davis, Ron Rael & Virginia San Fratello

The “2021 DigitalFUTURES—The 3rd International Conference on Computational Design and Robotic Fabrication (CDRF 2021)” provides an international platform for advanced researches addressing Material Intelligence in architecture. The aim of DigitalFUTURES is to encourage international collaboration and interaction, and to promote theoretical and scientific research into computational design, robotic fabrication, and other areas of architectural intelligence.

Find more information about the schedule and links to the conference here.

Design Jobs
Mechatronics Engineer Intern

Join Jaro this summer for a recently-announced role building a high-value mechatronics prototype to support Jaro’s engineering team. Jaro is developing a novel vehicle charging technology poised to transform the electric semi-trucking industry. The MechE intern will work as part of a small team of experienced engineers developing critical enabling technologies demonstrating breakthrough performance characteristics. This full-time, on-site role is ideal for a highly motivated, fast-learner engineering student who wants to use their skills to address a huge, unresolved source of climate emissions and urban pollution.

How to Apply
Please send resume or CV to inter...@jarofleets.com and share any additional information you'd like us to review. We do our best to respond to all applicants within 48 hours.

See more information attached in the flyer below!

Summer Job Opportunity: PREP Design Assistant
We are searching for Design Assistants for the Maker Design Studio in PREP. We have about 15 openings still available, so apply here before they are gone!

Background: PREP (Pre-Engineering Program) is a three-week program offered to incoming freshmen and transfer engineering students. The 2021 dates are July 26 to August 13.

As a Design Assistant, you will coach 1 or 2 teams on their design projects, work closely with the instructional staff and other Design Assistants. Experience with design skills such as coding, electronics, rapid prototyping, and design sprints is preferred but not mandatory.

The application is open until all positions are filled. All positions are PAID.

Jaro Mechatronics Internship.pdf

Amy Dinh

Jun 30, 2021, 5:37:33 PM6/30/21
to Community
Hi all,

Here's a handful of design opportunities, shared by our community members, for our community members. They include a call for volunteer for an interesting study to an info session for a great 2-year fellowship for rising juniors and new transfers. The UI/UX job could be a good opportunity for a recent alum. Read on below!

General Opportunities
  •  Recruiting Subjects for Human-Robot Interaction Experiment
Design Events
  • Fung Fellowship Info Session (7/7)
Design Jobs
  • UI / UX designer at Geosite
Best,

Amy

General Opportunities
Recruiting Subjects for Human-Robot Interaction Experiment
We are researchers in the BEST Lab in the Mechanical Engineering department at UC, Berkeley conducting a study on human-robot interaction. We are searching for volunteer subjects for experiments involving a novel robotic interface. Participants should be English-speaking students at the university over the age of 18 with limited exposure to robotics concepts. The experiment itself will last between 30 minutes and one hour and will require some physical interaction. Participation will involve interacting physically with a prototype robot, so potential subjects should be comfortable with manipulating objects of approximately 1kg and up to 0.5m in diameter and have no injuries or recent surgeries affecting upper extremity motor skills.

If you are interested in participating in this study, please send an email to andrew...@berkeley.edu so that we can confirm initial screening and schedule an appointment that works with your availability. The schedule for experiment appointments is flexible (8am-5pm weekdays). I'll be accepting participants throughout this week and next week at the very least.

For questions or concerns regarding the experiment, please contact Andrew Barkan at andrew...@berkeley.edu. We appreciate your consideration!

Design Events
Fung Fellowship Info Session
Fung Fellowship Info Session for Transfer and Veteran Students
Wed. 7/7 from noon-1pm PDT

Fung Fellows have access to leaders and opportunities in design, public health, conservation, and tech. Not only will fellows gain skills and real-world experiences in these fields, they will make a real impact in communities for real people.

Applications are currently open for UC Berkeley Class of 2023 transfer and veteran students and are due Friday, July 30, 2021 at 11:59pm PT.

Join us on Wednesday, July 7 from noon-1pm PDT for an informal info session about the Fung Fellowship program and hear from a panel of Fung Fellows about their experience.

Design Jobs
Fulltime UI/UX designer at Geosite
Who We Are
Geosite builds workflow software at the intersection of legacy GIS engineering tools and modern cloud collaboration platforms. Our main product is a SaaS platform that enables users to create, fuse and disseminate geospatial data to facilitate reconnaissance, planning and operations across a wide range of industries.

This position comes with equity! If you are driven, high-energy, and passionate about application development - we want you on our team!

What We Are Looking For
We will add someone to our team who brings strong UI and visual design skills with human centered focus on effective UX. Your designs will shape sophisticated tools used in complex workflows for essential industries. We need someone who can apply the latest techniques in UX design to build new and future looking applications to long established industries and companies.

Roles and Responsibilities
  • Take the lead on gathering requirements to create UI layouts and mock ups
  • Elucidate and communicate what is known, unknown, and in flux during development of new applications (and after launch!)
  • Take ownership of design assets that will be used across all Geosite applications
  • Be organized, diligent, and systematic - meaning thinking about growth!
Learn more and apply here!

Amy Dinh

Jul 9, 2021, 3:46:03 PM7/9/21
to Community
Hi all,

Here's this week's design opportunity digest, with opportunities from and for the Jacobs design community. There is a technology loaning program for students who need hardware or internet access for school, internships and research positions, and more. Read on below. TGIF!

General opportunities
  • Student Technology Equity Program (STEP)
Design Events
  • ROAR Summer Season Competition (8/28)
Design Jobs
  • GSR Position Open: Patient Visions for the Future of Perinatal Care (7/18)
  • Call for digital product designers!
  • Camera Image Quality Intern at Rivian
  • Internship Opportunities at Brain-Machine Interface Startup
Best,

Amy

General opportunities
Student Technology Equity Program (STEP)

If you are an undergraduate or graduate student in need of hardware or internet access:

  • STEP is accepting applications on a rolling basis throughout the 2021-2022 academic year, while supplies last. Fall 2021 applications will be accepted from July 6 to November 24, 2021. For priority consideration, apply by July 23, 2021.
  • Complete this application(link is external)to be considered for a free loaner laptop, Wi-Fi hotspot, or other peripherals (e.g. webcam, headphones, etc.).
  • We will review your application and determine eligibility based on a combination of factors which include financial need, previous support received, and instructional role (e.g. GSI).
  • Eligible applicants will typically receive their device(s) by mail within three weeks of their application.  Check out our FAQs page to learn about our curbside pickup option on campus.
  • Have a question? Check out our STEP FAQsLearn more here!

Saturday, August 28, 2021

Led by its faculty members with deep expertise in AI and autonomous driving, Berkeley is proud to announce and host a new AI racecar competition in 2020. The Robot Open Autonomous Racing (ROAR) competition will pit multiple student racing teams to compete for speed and vehicle skills. The next virtual ROAR competition will take place on August 28, 2021, and we invite you to join us and compete. More information about the competition can be found on the ROAR site

The submission page for competitors can be found here; submissions are due on Friday, August 20, 11:59PM (PST) Midnight.

Design Jobs
GSR Position Open: Patient Visions for the Future of Perinatal Care
The Wallace Center is recruiting a Fall 2021 GSR to work with Dr. Kim Harley to design a project to gather women's, and pre- and post-natal patient's visions for the future of maternal healthcare. This project will use design thinking methods to create a space for participants to be innovative and creative as they outline their dream vision for the future of perinatal care.

See the attached job description for full details.

How to apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to wallac...@berkeley.edu.

Applications are due July 18th, 2021

Call for digital product designers!
Startup
We are a nascent startup focusing on diagnostics, prescription and sales of original herbal liquid supplements for skincare and beyond. In short, we are Curology's East Asian cousin. With a founding team combining expertise in cosmetic branding, nutritional healing and consumer technology, we hope to export a little bit of healing from the far east in these turbulent times.

Needs
We are looking for a product and web and app experience designer (may he, she or they be student or young graduate) keen to work on a product that has UI and actual consumer product design needs.

Compensation will be negotiated upon further chats with anyone interested. More information will be revealed upon discussion as we are still in stealth mode.

Reach out to Jane Tang directly at janejia...@gmail.com if interested.

Camera Image Quality Intern at Rivian
Rivian is building a new kind of car company. Our vehicles and technology are designed and engineered to challenge what’s possible and to inspire people to explore the world in new ways. The intern will:
  • Support Perception Systems Group in evaluating image sensors, camera lens, and prototype camera modules
View the posting here.

Internship Opportunities at Brain-Machine Interface Startup

If you ever wanted to work on creating a ground-breaking product that can change how humans interact with technology, we have an opening for you. We’re building a wearable brain-machine interface.

Product Intern: Our team is looking for a product design intern with experience in CAD software (Solidworks, Fusion 360, or others). You will be working with the founders to understand the technology, create design sketches for the wearable device, and design high-fidelity 3D renderings that can be shared with the world. Applicants should send a 2-3 line bio to saha...@gmail.com along with their portfolio.

Marketing Design Intern: Minimal. Elegant. Mind-blowing. Modern. That’s how we think about our branding and we want you to help make it happen. Our team is looking for a marketing design intern to design our branding and launch campaigns. Applicants should send a 2-3 line bio to saha...@gmail.com along with examples of their work.

Our founders are Stanford alums and have previously sold a company and run a team at a deep tech startup with over 100M in funding.

We’re looking for people to start in these roles immediately. The roles can be part time or full time. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Fall 2021 - Patient Visions GSR.pdf

Amy Dinh

Jul 16, 2021, 3:42:01 PM7/16/21
to Community
Hi everyone,

Here is your design opportunities digest for the week, with events, competitions, internships, and more. The designer role with WE3 was shared with us by Purin Phanichphant, current Jacobs Design Fellow and former Jacobs lecturer, so you know it'll be a great opportunity!

Design events
  • Increasing Diversity in Innovation Virtual Conference (7/26 - 7/29)
General opportunities
  • Iron Lion Design Challenge (7/28 - 7/30)
  • Wonderful Idea Co’s Tinkering World Tour
Design jobs
  • UI/UX/Visual Designers for WE3: A Decentralized Design Collective
  • Youth-Centered Health Designer at ETR
TGIF,

Amy

Design events
Increasing Diversity in Innovation Virtual Conference
Capturing America’s Lost Inventors
July 26-29, 2021

Findings by the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and leading researchers show that women, people of color, and veterans are significantly underrepresented as US patent inventors. All of the data indicates that the US has missed out on millions of inventors, impacting national innovation and economic growth.

On July 26-29, the US Intellectual Property Alliance and UC Berkeley Fung Institute will host a virtual conference bringing together the USPTO, corporate legal teams, innovators, industry associations and key stakeholders across the country to focus on increasing engagement of underrepresented inventors.

RSVP: Seats are limited so register at https://www.usipalliance.org/increasingdii
*UC Berkeley Students, alumni, and staff/faculty are eligible for complimentary tickets using the code “Increasing-DII-2021-SPONSOR-100”

General opportunities
Iron Lion Design Challenge

Join us for a virtual Design hack-a-thon hosted by the Penn State Learning FactoryThe Iron Lion Design Challenge will take place from July 28th-30th, graduate students will compete in teams to solve a mystery challenge over the course of two days with final presentations occurring on the 30th. Winning teams will receive prizes and all students will have the opportunity to network with peers and hear from top researchers within Design Theory and Methods. Additionally, we will host unique professional development workshops throughout the challenge aimed at building your unique brand and launching your career. We will be shipping the first 50 participants prototyping kits to enable a hands-on design experience, so sign up early!

For more information please see the Iron Lion Website here: https://sites.psu.edu/learningfactoryathome/iron-lion/

To RSVP for the event, please follow this link: https://forms.gle/BX8mC7w8UJq1kwPq8

If you have any questions, please reach out to Dr. Jessica Menold at jdm...@psu.edu.

Wonderful Idea Co’s Tinkering World Tour

This fall, Wonderful Idea Co’s Tinkering World Tour online workshop is back for a second edition! In this five-week interactive experience, we’ll take a virtual visit to makerspaces in São Paulo (Brazil), Mexicali (Mexico), Emilia-Romagna (Italy), Kathmandu (Nepal), and Singapore and learn from local artists and educators. In each session we’ll discuss the qualities of learning through tinkering, start a hands-on project made with materials from around the house and share an ever expanding list of resources.

Spaces are available to join all five two-hour sessions live over zoom or to participate asynchronously (MOOC-style) where you will get video recordings and discussion prompts after each workshop. WICO collaborator Mariana Tamashiro will create visual notes for each session and we will share digital copies of her designs with all participants

In our first round of the world tour we had around 80 learners from 18 different countries and we are hoping to at least double those numbers this time around! If you sign up for 'Season Two' you will also get access to the first five videos from 'Season One' in Nairobi, Berlin, Kyoto/Tokyo, New Mexico and Aarhus to watch on your own time.

We hope you can join us on this worldwide exploration and would really appreciate if you could help us by sharing with your networks who might be interested!

Sign up for 'Season Two" of the Tinkering World Tour

Design jobs
UI/UX/Visual Designers for WE3: A Decentralized Design Collective
A few of us at WE3 (including Purin Phanichphant, current Jacobs Design Fellow and former lecturer) are looking for a few UI/UX/visual designers with a passion for open source software and new technologies to join a project team for a 3+ month contract. WE3 is a new decentralized design collective built on the idea that the internet should be more participative, open, and community-owned.

We partner with leading projects and entrepreneurs in the crypto/DeFi/web3 space and own design from start to launch and beyond. The cryptocurrency space needs a lot of design help to make user experiences more elegant, intentional, and timeless. In exchange, you will learn a ton about cryptocurrency as you design the platforms and earn governance tokens.

Our community of owner-designers are still small, meaning that your contribution will make a significant impact on this organically growing non-structure. We're founded by IDEO alums and funded by IDEO CoLab Ventures. Check out our job postings at https://hello.we3.co and DM us at he...@we3.co if you're curious to learn more!

Youth-Centered Health Designer at ETR

The Youth-Centered Health Designer position provides leadership in growing our capacity for human centered design (HCD) and collaborative processes engaging youth within our Youth Tech Health (YTH) Initiative at ETR (Education, Training and Research). Specifically, this position contributes to the design and delivery of YTH Initiative programs, products and services that use technology and new media to advance youth health and wellness, both domestic and global.

This is a remote position, so candidates can be based anywhere in the United States. Apply here.