Design opportunities digest - October 17, 2022

Amy Dinh

Oct 17, 2022, 1:39:50 PM10/17/22
to Community

Hello all,

Happy Monday! This design opportunities digest was meant to go out on Friday, but better late than never! It contains opportunities like courses, groups, competitions, events, and more. There are also some fun Halloween-themed creative events--look for the announcements marked with a 🎃 .

Best,

Amy

General Opportunities

  • Room One Thousand, Issue 11: Sediment Open for Proposals! (deadline: 10/31)

  • Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (SCET) classes for Spring 2023

  • Berkeley Art Studio -- Register for Late Fall

  • Fall 2022 Designated Emphasis & Certificate in New Media Applications Due Nov 1

  • P&T Mobility & Equity Advisory Committee (MEC) 2022-23

Events

  • Designing the Perfect Fit: Steven Smith at The Berkeley Forum (10/17)

  • Get Spooky During MAKE! (10/20) 🎃

  • In-Person Learn Costume Workshops (10/20 &10/27) 🎃

  • Lightfast, presented by Museum of Craft & Design (10/28 & 10/29)

Career

  • Paid Python Gig

  • Communications Intern at Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA)

General Opportunities

Room One Thousand, Issue 11: Sediment Open for Proposals!

Every Spring, UC Berkeley architecture students publish an academic journal, Room One Thousand, on a particular theme. The journal is now calling for proposals for this year's theme, "Sediment." We seek articles and photo essays that investigate architecture’s relationship to historical, political, and physical terrains using geological terminology and metaphors.

You can find more information on the theme and timeline for this issue in the attached flyer and at roomonethousand.com/cfp

The deadline to submit a proposal is October 31.

Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (SCET) classes for Spring 2023

Undergraduate and graduate students from all majors are welcome in UC Berkeley SCET classes. We welcome students with diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills to join our collider environment where we give students the skills to create new ideas, startups, and innovative projects. Please see the attached flyer for a list of the Spring 2023 SCET classes which are listed under Engineering (ENGIN) course numbers! Class details can be found on our website.

All SCET classes can also be applied towards the SCET Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Technology. Feel free to email scet-ac...@berkeley.edu if anyone has any questions!

Berkeley Art Studio - Register For Late Fall!

Late fall includes sessions in drawing, photography, painting, printmaking, ceramics, and more through workshops of your choice. The sessions will be from October 19- December 11. Explore sessions and register here.

Fall 2022 Designated Emphasis & Certificate in New Media Applications Due Nov 1

The Berkeley Center for New Media is an interdisciplinary research center that studies and shapes media transition and emergence from diverse perspectives. Through critical thinking and making, we cultivate technological equity and fairness in our classrooms, in our communities, and on the internet.

Applications for admission are open to the Designated Emphasis (DE) in New Media Ph.D. program, the Graduate Certificate in New Media program, and the Undergraduate Certificate in New Media program. All applications for Fall 2022 admittance are due November

Find out more here!

P&T Mobility & Equity Advisory Committee (MEC) 2022-23

Interested in helping Berkeley Parking & Transportation advance mobility and transportation goals? Sign up for the Mobility and Equity Advisory Committee.

The Mobility and Equity Advisory Committee, along with Staff from UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation, will work with the main Class Pass Advisory Committee and will also address other, non-AC Transit related matters which will impact the campus: BART Discounts, Shared Micro-mobility, Seamless Bay Area and MTC related Fare Integration, and additional items to help bridge the gaps of access and mobility.

Events

Designing the Perfect Fit: Steven Smith at The Berkeley Forum

Steven Smith, Design Director for Yeezy and Head of Industrial Design at Donda, discusses topics of design, culture, and innovation.

Join the event on Monday, October 17, 7:00-8:00 pm in the Hearst Field Annex. Learn more and register here

Get Spooky During MAKE! (10/20) 🎃

Enjoy a night of friends, drinks, and hands-on activities. Make a ghostly self-portrait, design a glowing Lost Soulmates charm bracelet, and explore Dia de Los Muertos portals with our friends from Mission Branch Library. Activities are free with admission. MCD Members get in free and get two free drink tickets.

MAKE will be on October 20, 5:30-9:00 pm. Get tickets here

In-Person Learn Costume Workshops 🎃

Learn about the tools of the Makerspace as you create your own costumes and decor for the Halloween Season. Use the 3D printers, vinyl cutters, sewing machines and heat press to create a costume of your design. Come with an idea or consult with one of our Undergraduate Library Makerspace Fellows for inspiration! Note that there will be some material available but if you require specialized materials or have a specific costume in mind it is recommended to bring your own supplies.

Workshops meet in the Makerspace, located in Doe Library, room 190. You can find the Makerspace by entering Doe at the North entrance and using the 190 doors located across from the Morrison Library. Dates are October 20 and October 27 from 2:00-4:00.

Lightfast, presented by Museum of Craft & Design (10/28 & 10/29)

Join MCD for LIGHTFAST, a special event showcasing audio, visual, and narrative artists crossing creative borders and venturing into different mediums. Don't miss this full sensory multimedia show filled with immersive imagery, live cello, spoken word, and more.⁠ Get tickets here.

The two nights showcasing the event will be:

Friday, October 28, 7:00-8:30 pm

Saturday, October 29, 5:00-6:30 pm

Career

Paid Python Gig

Are you a skilled python programmer? Do you care about UI/UX, accessibility, and open-source projects? Are you in search of a senior project or capstone? Seeking to hire someone to develop a plug-in for NVDA screen readers (NonVisual Desktop Access) to customize user experience. Specifically addressing issues with verbosity, alerts, and notifications, and conference call control panel organization. Paid position. Please email eleano...@berkeley.edu with the subject line "Python NVDA".

Communications Intern at Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA)

The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) is hiring a Communications Intern (10-15 hours/week) to promote the work of CEGA and our faculty network and better translate research into action. The paid internship will start in October 2022 and end in January 2023, with the option to renew for the spring 2023 semester.

The intern will work with staff, students, and faculty across the center to develop multimedia content, disseminate research through social media, monitor press coverage, support website operations, and lead special projects. The ideal candidate will understand the fundamentals of good storytelling and brand identity and possess some experience developing and executing communications products. They should have poise and experience communicating with a variety of actors on a variety of platforms. This position is paid (10-15 hours/week) and fully remote, with the option to work from our offices in Berkeley.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here
SCET Spring 2023 Courses.pdf