Design opportunities digest - October 7, 2022

Amy Dinh

Oct 7, 2022, 7:58:11 PM10/7/22
to Community

Hello Jacobs students,

After a two week hiatus, the design opportunities digest is back! Read on below for cool design/tech events, courses, contests, student job opportunities, and more.

Best,

Amy

General Opportunities

  • Big Ideas Contest (info session on October 13th)

  • NWMEDIA 190: New Media Experimental Art Studio Spring 2023

  • Join Path2Engineering

Events

  • Boston Fashion Week (October 8-15)

  • Join the 5-year MIDS Open House! (October 11)

  • You're invited to experience LIGHTFAST, a full sensory multimedia event! (Oct. 28-29)

Career

  • Aspen Tech Policy Hub, Part-TIme Design Intern

  • Canva is Hiring Student Ambassadors For the Fall Semester!

General Opportunities

Big Ideas Contest (October 13th)

The Big Ideas Contest, which is open this year to all graduate and undergraduate students at UC Berkeley, offers seed awards (up to $20K), networks, and resources to students who have early-stage solutions to pressing social challenges. The application deadline is December 7th!

You can learn more about these opportunities for aspiring innovators at one of our upcoming info sessions where you will hear the origin story of a successful Big ideas alumni, then learn how you can access the funding and resources you need to launch your own successful social venture.

The next session is on October 13th (RSVP Required). Please feel free as well to schedule an advising appointment to talk through your ‘Big Idea.’

NWMEDIA 190: New Media Experimental Art Studio Spring 2023

This course will explore how new mediums inform the way people understand and produce works of art and challenge/question aspects of the industry. By utilizing research and experimentation with new tools and software programs, art-making in relation to other more traditional media will be considered. With a historic approach, students will be introduced to contemporary art projects by artists working in socially engaged forms, raising awareness and creating opportunities for conversation about our political and ecological realities. The class recommends knowledge in the areas of artificial intelligence programs, adobe illustrator, and laser cutting.

This 4 unit course will be held in Sring 2023 from 10am-12pm Tu/Th with professors Asma Kazmi and Jill Miller. If interested fill out the application form.

Join Path2Engineering

Path2Engineering is a new student-led organization on campus that will share resources, events, tips, internship opportunities, and more with engineering students. The goal is to share information that may not be obvious or widely talked about.

Join the mailing list to learn and get involved!

Events

Boston Fashion Week (October 8-15)

Design Museum Everywhere is participating in Boston Fashion Week showcasing designers from their We Design and Bespoke Bodies

In addition to in-person events in Boston from October 8-15, attendees can access augmented reality galleries from anywhere using the Hoverlay app on demand. More information about the event and program can be found here

Join the 5-year MIDS Open House!

Are you considering a career in data science? The School of Information’s online 5th Year Master of Information and Data Science (5th Year MIDS) program takes an interdisciplinary approach to equip Cal students for careers that are relying increasingly on data to make decisions. With personalized 1-1 career coaching and a project-based approach to learning, graduates go on to successful careers as data scientists, machine learning engineers, and software engineers at Google, Salesforce, and Pinterest.

Register for the 5th Year MIDS Open House on Tuesday, October 11 from 5-7pm, to learn more about the program and hear directly from current students and alumni. RSVP Here

You're invited to experience LIGHTFAST, a full sensory multimedia event!

Join MCD for a special event showcasing the body of work born of this question and the conversations between a composer, a writer, and two visual artists. Experience the journey they traveled, exploring different forms of audio, visual, and narrative art that ultimately evolved into the foundation for LIGHTFAST.

The event will take place:

Friday, October 28 | 7:00 PM–8:30 PM

Saturday, October 29 | 5:00 PM–6:30 PM

$35 General Admission, $25 Students/Seniors, $15 MCD Members. For more information and to purchase tickets click here

Career

Aspen Tech Policy Hub, Part-TIme Design Intern

The team at the Aspen Tech Policy Hub is hiring a part-time Design Intern! They’re looking for designers who have experience completing design work in either graphic, layout, or UI/UX design, and can commit to 5-10 hours of remote work per week. This is the perfect role for a student interested in further developing their design skills and learning about the operations of a tech policy non-profit.

View the job posting here. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. They hope to hire as soon as possible and encourage applicants to apply in a timely manner.

Canva is Hiring Student Ambassadors For the Fall Semester

Canva is partnering up with UC Berkeley to run a Student Ambassador Beta Program! Ambassadors will promote Canva’s newest features across campus.

Some of the tasks include: Host and organize events to bring awareness about Canva’s products and brand, help Canva to better understand your campus’ culture, build relationships on campus with faculty and student groups, test & promote product use and new product launches, and be a source of knowledge for your university about Canva products.

Click here to apply and email jean...@berkeley.edu or ashle...@berkeley.edu for any questions.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here