Upcoming @ Jacobs: showcase events, student jobs, summer programs, and more!

Amy Dinh

Apr 27, 2022, 4:39:37 PM4/27/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

As a followup to yesterday's design opportunities digest, here is a roundup of opportunities organized by the Jacobs Institute. It includes exciting end-of-semester events, including our semesterly Design Showcase and our first-ever MDes graduate exhibition. RSVP info, as well as an invitation to present your work at the showcase, are below. We also want to share several programs and positions that we encourage eligible students to apply to, including the Transcending Beyond Berkeley Fellowship, Maker Launchpad, and DES INV course ASE roles.

Best,

Amy

JACOBS SPRING DESIGN SHOWCASE (MAY 4-6)
It's almost showcase time! The Design Showcase is a semesterly event that highlights student accomplishments and work from the courses offered at Jacobs Hall, student clubs, grant programs, and the new Berkeley Master of Design (MDes). The entire event takes place from May 4–6, with a focused day and open reception for MDes student work on Friday, May 6.

This event is free and open to all members of the Berkeley community. Please RSVP here, if you would like to join us at any time over these three days. You can also visit the Design Showcase website for more information and ongoing updates about the events and schedule for each day.

T-0: PIONEERS -- MASTER OF DESIGN GRADUATE EXHIBITION (MAY 16-17)
We are pleased to present T-0: PIONEERS, the graduate exhibition of the inaugural cohort of the MDes program. This exhibition highlights the culminating projects of the graduating MDes Class of Spring 2022 and celebrates their accomplishments as they finish the program and chart their next steps. We invite you join us at the following events:

Opening Reception, Monday, May 16th, 5–7 PM, 310 Jacobs Hall

Public Exhibition, Tuesday, May 17th 12–5 PM, 310 Jacobs Hall

SHARE YOUR WORK AT THE JACOBS DESIGN SHOWCASE

In addition to featuring projects from Jacobs-affiliated courses and programs, we encourage individuals, student groups, and DeCals in the Jacobs community to share their work at the aforementioned Jacobs Design Showcase on May 5th 12-1:30pm. Leaders of student clubs and DeCals, and individual students, please sign up here as soon as possible if you wish to participate in the showcase and we will follow up with you.

TRANSCENDING BEYOND BERKELEY FELLOWSHIP 2022-2023

Berkeley students who are Dream Aid recipients and/or undocumented are invited to apply to the Transcending Beyond Berkeley Fellowship 2022-2023, organized by the Undocumented Students Program. Work authorization is not required.

TBB Fellows partner with campus units to gain professional development experience; the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation is seeking 1-2 new Fellows to join our returning Fellows next year. We invite eligible students to apply for one or both of the positions hosted at Jacobs: Program & Operations Fellow or Makerspace Student Supervisor & Outreach Fellow.

For the application and more information, visit this link. The application deadline is May 2nd.

MAKER LAUNCHPAD SUMMER PROGRAM

There is still time to apply for the Maker Launchpad program, offered during Berkeley Summer Session D (July 5–August 12). This six-week comprehensive prototyping program is open to anyone interested in sharpening their design prototyping skills and discovering an entry-point into the world of engineering and design. It is also a great way to prepare for the Master of Design program (Berkeley MDes). Enrollment in DES INV 22 Prototyping & Fabrication and DES INV 23 Creative Programming & Electronics this summer is exclusively reserved for Maker Launchpad participants.

As with all UC Berkeley summer courses, this program is open to anyone with a GED who is interested in taking courses at UC Berkeley, regardless of their university affiliation or current student status. All participants are required to be in-person, and will gain access to our Makerspace and dedicated studio teaching facilities. Learn more and apply here!

JACOBS FALL 2022 ASE HIRING

The Jacobs Institute is hiring graduate students for ASE roles for our fall semester DES INV courses. More information about the available roles and instructions on how to apply are provided on our website. Applications are now being accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.

Before applying, please 1) review information about the course, including meeting time and content, through the links provided on the website and 2) ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to be an ASE, especially if you are applying to be a first-time GSI. Contact Aleta Martinez at al...@berkeley.edu if you have any questions.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here