Upcoming@Jacobs: Internodes grad exhibition, grant program, Jacobs Hall cleanout

Amy Dinh

Dec 14, 2022, 11:04:11 PM12/14/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

It's almost winter break, but there are still exciting design events happening this week to check out! The opening reception for Internodes, featuring the work of our graduating MDes students, is tomorrow.

Please remember to clear out your projects and materials from Jacobs Hall by this Friday.

And over the break, I encourage you to consider applying to the Jacobs Institute Innovation Catalysts student grant program!

Best,

Amy

INTERNODES: THE BERKELEY MASTER OF DESIGN GRADUATE EXHIBITION (DEC 15 & 16)
The UC Berkeley Master of Design (MDes) is a professional graduate program in design for emerging technologies that emphasizes critical design and social practice to address the new realities of emerging technologies in the 21st century.

Internodes = the initial spark of growth, the radical, the foundation for the future.

This exhibition features culminating projects and research by the MDes Fall 2022 cohort. Projects will be on display for the campus community and general public; all are welcome to attend and engage. RSVP here.

Opening Reception
Thursday, December 15th 4–6 PM in 310 Jacobs Hall

Public Exhibition
Friday, December 16th 12–3 PM in 310 Jacobs Hall

NOTE: Due to an uptick of COVID-19 cases in the Bay Area and on campus, we would like to remind Internodes attendees that wearing a mask indoors is strongly recommended by the Berkeley campus and city public health officer. Surgical masks will be available at the door.

APPLY FOR STUDENT PROJECT GRANT FUNDING
Each semester the Jacobs Innovation Catalysts student grant program supports student ideas and projects with up to $2000 of funding and other support. If you've been dreaming up a new concept or would like to continue working on a recent project, consider applying to join our next cohort!

We support a wide range of projects at the intersection of design and technology innovation, reflecting the multitude of talents and interests in the Jacobs community. The program is open to all current Berkeley students, including both undergraduates and graduates.

Applications for the spring 2023 cohort are due Monday, January 2nd at 11:59pm. Learn more on the grant webpage and sign up to get key grant program announcements. You can also check out the projects of this semester's cohort tomorrow (Thursday) at the Design Showcase.

CLEAR OUT YOUR MATERIALS FROM JACOBS HALL BY DEC 16
This is an final reminder to make plans to remove all of your personal materials from Jacobs Hall maker spaces and teaching studios before we close for the semester on December 16th at 7pm. Materials left behind will be thrown out.

It is important that our team has the opportunity to reset the space for the spring semester, so we cannot allow for between-semester storage of materials or projects in any of our teaching or maker spaces.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here