Design opportunities digest - June 1, 2022 ūüĆą

Amy Dinh

Jun 1, 2022, 8:14:26 PMJun 1
to Community
Hello Jacobs community,

This week's design opportunities digest has a little something for everyone--virtual design conferences, summer jobs for current students, full-time jobs for graduated students, and a new discord for student makers to find each other.

Cheers!

Amy

General Opportunities
  • Discord Community for Makers!
Events
  • Lesbians Who Tech #PrideSummit (June 6-10)
  • Meta's Design Summit (apply by June 6)
Jobs
  • Visual Communications Assistant, VPUE
  • Program Assistant, Girls in Engineering
  • Mechatronics Engineer, SkyCurrent

General Opportunities
Discord Community for Makers!
Accomdemy = Accompany + Academy -- we are a self-learning organization spontaneously formed by a group of partners from the science and technology circle, the new innovation circle, and the education circle. We believe that education and technology can make people break through self-restrictions and make the world a better place. We believe that the best learning method comes from motivated and autonomous learning, so we call on partners with the same beliefs to contribute their strengths together. Let those who want to learn but have no way to learn can enjoy the fun of learning. Through the online sharing session of accompanying learning, you can get the guidance of an experienced mentor in real time to make the learning journey interesting and not lonely.
Specifically, we have a discord server for anyone interested in or is already working on side projects. You can join to meet others who are also interested in the same areas, gain access to webinars hosted by industry experts, and receive mentorship and guidance from industry professionals in Realtek. No experience is needed - we welcome people with any level of prior experience! Here's the Discord link: https://discord.gg/JjM6cWB8vy. If you have any questions, feel free to email Katherine Wang at kwa...@berkeley.edu.

Events
Lesbians Who Tech #PrideSummit (June 6-10)
Lesbians Who Tech & Allies is a community of LGBTQ women, non-binary and trans individuals in and around tech (and the people who support them). They are hosting a weeklong summit of over 250 sessions, both online and in-person, June 6th ‚Äď 10th. Virtual and satellite event tickets are free. Register and learn more at:¬†https://lesbianswhotech.org/pridesummit2022/

Meta's Design Summit (apply by June 6)
Applications for Meta's fourth annual Design Summit are open now! The application will be open until Monday, June 6th at 11:59pm PST.

The Design Summit will offer a series of virtual workshops and 1:1 mentorship for aspiring designers from underrepresented communities. The program will kick off with a two-day virtual course on July 21 and 22, 2022, with ongoing education in the areas of mentorship, portfolio development and design education running through October. If selected, you’ll hear from Meta product designers, content designers, and design leadership about what they’re working on, new trends in the industry, and how you can prepare for a career in the field of design.

Applications are open to students from all North American schools who identify as part of a historically underrepresented group in the technology industry, including but not limited to Black, Hispanic, and Native American students, students with disabilities and veterans. For more information and to apply, follow this link: https://designsummit2022.splashthat.com/

Jobs
Visual Communications Assistant, VPUE
We have a work-study position open this summer (July 1-August 12) for a visual communications assistant to help with producing major maps and other design projects for the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education. It is a summer position with the possibility to extend into the next academic year.

We are looking to hire asap--the position is posted at workstudy.berkeley.edu (search for Visual Communications Assistant - Job # 2957932141). Students are welcome to contact Anthony Yuen directly (ay...@berkeley.edu) with questions or to submit an application. The full job description is below.

Program Assistant, Girls in Engineering
Berkeley Engineering’s Girls in Engineering program is hiring program assistants! Program Assistants will support three week-long camps during June and July 2022.

Girls in Engineering (GiE) is a week-long gateway STEM program for middle school students, designed to give the participants an overview of the tremendous ability engineering has to
advance society and affect positive change for the public good. Taught by UC Berkeley faculty, staff and students, the program offers the opportunity for students to work in teams and learn through hands-on activities about many types of engineering‚ÄĒfrom computer coding to building robots ‚Äď inspiring them to pursue studies in engineering, math, and science.

Program Assistants work alongside the Director to ensure the smooth execution of camp. Given the uncertainty around what the summer will hold, the camp format may be in person, virtual, or a hybrid format. Program Assistants will need to be flexible and open to support the program in any format. Program Assistants are primarily responsible for assisting the Director with camp operations, supervising campers to ensure their safety, and supporting campers during the learning modules.

Must be 18 years or older by May 1, 2022 to apply. The job opening can be found at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/ (search for job # 28247) or by using this link. Questions about the position or Girls in Engineering? Email Anne Mayoral at anne.m...@berkeley.edu

Mechatronics Engineer, SkyCurrent

SkyCurrent is a high-rise robotic window cleaning company. Our goal is to make the world a safer place, by modernizing an antiquated industry through robotics, software engineering, and mechatronic principles. We just finished securing 3.5MM in seed funding from reputable VC firms in the hardware space.

We are currently searching for a soon to graduate engineering student to join our fast growing robotics startup company where they will have the opportunity to shape and build the future of our company! Would you be so kind as to share this opportunity?

Attached you will find a job listing outlining what we are looking for. Any interested applicants should submit their resume to the following email address: lu...@skycurrent.com (Luis Antonio Garcia Jr., SkyCurrent Mechatronics Engineer and Cal alum 2019).

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here
Contact me via email, scheduled appointment, or drop-in advising

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
Girls in Engineering 2022 -- Program Assistant job announcement (2).pdf
Job Listing V1.pdf