Design Conversations + the 2021 Winter Design Showcase!

Lauren Ardis

Nov 4, 2021, 6:26:25 PM11/4/21
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hello Jacobs Community,

As we begin to round out the rest of the fall semester, here are a few things to note, including tomorrow's final Design Conversations speaker and information about the upcoming Winter Design Showcase.

Have a great weekend!
Lauren

NEWS + EVENTS

DESIGN CONVERSATIONS: ROSTEN WOO
TOMORROW, FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 5
12–1 PM

Please join us in welcoming Rosten Woo to tomorrow's Design Conversations speaking engagement. Rosten is an artist, designer, educator, and writer based in Los Angeles. He is the author of the recently published book Street Value, on race, design, and urban retail development. Rosten's work focuses on public and civic-scale projects, including collaborating and consulting with a variety of grassroots and non-profit organizations. He is the co-founder and former executive director of the Center for Urban Pedagogy in New York, a non-profit dedicated to using art and design to foster civic participation.

If you haven't joined us for a Design Conversations talk yet, don't miss this one! This talk will not be recorded.

DESIGN FIELD NOTES: DREW MCPHERSON
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 9
4–5 PM

There has been a slight adjustment to the DFN calendar for next week. We will now be joined by Drew McPherson, a mechanical engineer and Ph.D. student here at UC Berkeley. You may recognize Drew from Jacobs Hall—he is not only an alumnus but also a former lecturer and Design Fellow!

JACOBS & MDES 2021 WINTER DESIGN SHOWCASE
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 8 – FRIDAY, DECEMBER 10
@ JACOBS HALL
More Information

The Winter Design Showcase is just over a month away. We are looking forward to having the Showcase return to an in-person event at Jacobs Hall, and for the additional day we've added to include participation from the Berkeley Master of Design (MDes) program.

While the Showcase will be held in person this semester, we are limiting participation to students, campus affiliates, and invited guests. This semester's Showcase will include a number of new fun features, including a raffle with two grand prizes. Show up to the Showcase with a raffle ticket already acquired by RSVP'ing to the event on our Eventbrite page

We will continue to announce more activities and the full schedule as the event nears, but for now, please save the date. The Showcase is the perfect way to celebrate all of your accomplishments from the past semester and to learn more about all of the opportunities available at Jacobs Hall.

Want to share your project at the Winter Design Showcase? In addition to featuring projects from Jacobs-affiliated courses and programs, we encourage individuals, student groups, and DeCals in the Jacobs community to share their work at the Showcase on December 8 & 9. Leaders of student clubs and DeCals, and individual students, please sign up here as soon as possible.