Design opportunities digest - August 26, 2022

Amy Dinh

Aug 26, 2022, 9:10:18 PM8/26/22
to Community

Hi Everyone,

This week's design opportunities digest includes opportunities to join design organizations and events, or participate in a design study. I also included a link with more information about this week's news regarding student loan debt relief, in case you were wondering if and how the program would affect you.

Read on below and have a good weekend!

Amy

PSA

  • Student Debt Relief Plan Explained

General Opportunities

  • P&T Mobility & Equity Advisory Committee (MEC) 2022-23

  • Berkeley Innovation recruitment open until September 2nd!

  • Online Truss Design Study

Events

  • Berkeley Center for New Media Open House on Wednesday, September 7th

  • Register for The Crypto Economics Security Conference, Oct 31st-Nov 1st

PSA

The Biden-Harris Administration's Student Debt Relief Plan Explained
For those of you who are wondering about how this week's news from the White House about student debt relief, as well as other loan relief programs, might affect you, check out this overview from the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid office.

General Opportunities

P&T Mobility & Equity Advisory Committee (MEC) 2022-23

Interested in helping Berkeley Parking & Transportation advance mobility and transportation goals? Sign up for the Mobility and Equity Advisory Committee.

The Mobility and Equity Advisory Committee, along with Staff from UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation, will work with the main Class Pass Advisory Committee and will also address other, non-AC Transit-related matters which will impact the campus: BART Discounts, Shared Micro-mobility, Seamless Bay Area and MTC related Fare Integration, and additional items to help bridge the gaps of access and mobility.

Berkeley Innovation recruitment

Berkeley Innovation is a human-centered design consultancy that partners with companies to tackle real-world problems. Work ranges from user research to product design to industrial design and more, all united by human-centered design. Members are artists, makers, innovators, and tinkers from all sorts of majors and backgrounds. They share hands-on experience working with clients, jumpstart their design careers, and grow together as thinkers.

The application for fall 2022 is live at tinyurl.com/bi-app-fa22. The info sessions are on Friday 8/26 and Monday 8/29 at 6pm in Jacobs 310 to meet the team and learn more about what they do. Find out more information about our organization and the recruitment process at www.berkeleyinnovation.org/apply, check out the FB recruitment event page, and follow @berkeleyinnovation on Instagram. For any question email jessic...@berkeley.edu

You are invited to participate in an Online Truss Design Study ($10 Amazon e-card + performance bonus)

You are invited to participate in an online truss design study. You will work with two AI agents to complete a truss design task. The study will take around one hour and you will be compensated with $10 amazon e-card plus an extra bonus based on performance. If you are interested in participating in this study, please sign up using the following registration link.

Registration Link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf0FumwuD6dALuf66yWduHWl_ZTlB4L9h0HZmOxY15hVIC1XQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Eligibility Requirements:

      Participants must know the basic knowledge of truss structure (e.g.,completed mechanics-related courses)

      Participants must be current engineering students and use edu emails to sign up for the study.

Duration: 60 minutes

Preparation: This is an online study. Participants need to download and set up the Amazon Workspaces application (https://clients.amazonworkspaces.com) prior to the study. Login information and further instructions will be sent to each participant before the study via zoom.

If you have any questions related to this study, please feel free to contact Dr. Mo Hu via email (mo...@berkeley.edu). Thanks.

Events

Berkeley Center for New Media Open House on Wednesday, September 7th!

Join BCNM in person at the BCNM Commons (340 Moffitt Library) on Wednesday, September 7th from 5:30-7:30pm for their annual new media open house! Some topics of conversation include: updates on their Indigenous Technologies program, working groups you can get involved with, and hear from Gail de Kosnik in her last year of the BCNM Directorship. snacks and light refreshments will be served. Hope to see you there!  RSVP here

Register for The Crypto Economics Security Conference, Oct 31st-Nov 1st!

Join Demo Day to hear the team's pitches and get involved with the Xcelerator ecosystem. This event will be held in junction with the Crypto Economics Security Conference and SF Blockchain week. Hosted by Berkley RDI, CESC aims to bring together researchers and practitioners to showcase and discuss the most recent developments in blockchain and Web3.

Register now for Demo Day and more CESC activities on Oct 31 — Nov 1:. Presentations will be live streamed for those unable to attend in person. More details can be found here.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here
facebook banner.png