Design opportunities digest

Amy Dinh

Jan 14, 2022, 8:17:49 PM1/14/22
to Community
Hello Jacobs community,

This week's opportunities digest contains some opportunities to gain design/tech project experience through events, research, organizations, and more. I've also included several interesting design, tech, entrepreneurship, and art related courses that still have open seats in the spring semester. Read on below and have a good MLK Jr weekend!

Best,

Amy

Events
  • iHackHealth: the Bay Area’s Cross-Bay Appathon
General Opportunities
  • Tech for Geographers with Professor Clancy Wilmott
  • ISF 110: An Introduction to Data Analysis and Visualization
  • Alternative Meat Challenge Lab: Product Design of Plant-Based Food (INDENG 185 001)
  • HUM 10 Indigenous Arts in the Americas: Old and New Media
  • Museum of Tomorrow (MoT) Team Recruitment
Jobs
  • Spring Semester Change Lab URAP Research Projects (apply by 1/24)
Events
iHackHealth: the Bay Area’s Cross-Bay Appathon
What is it?
The Fung Institute, the Fung Fellowship, and UCSF are hosting iHackHealth: the Bay Area’s cross-bay Appathon! UCSF practitioners have proposed mobile app ideas to improve research, patient care and education, and clinical practice.

Who can participate?
UC Berkeley students are invited to form interdisciplinary teams to develop these mobile apps as iOS prototypes after an initial virtual kick-off event on January 18. During the two-week development phase, you will utilize Apple's open-source tool kits and iOS developers will provide support.

What are the prizes?
At the final event on February 3, the winning team will have the option to be fast-tracked into SkyDeck’s incubation process. Join us and learn new skills, add to your resume/portfolio, interact with industry professionals, and pitch your final ideas to innovative leaders at both universities!

How do I get involved?
🔹Sign up for a proposal: bit.ly/iHackHealth22
🔹Sign up for the kick-off event: bit.ly/iHackHealth22_KickOff

Appathon Timeline:
12/17-1/18: Proposal Sign-up Period
1/18: Un-Pitch Kick-Off Event (Virtual), 12-1pm
1/18-2/2: App Development Phase/Apple Office Hours/Build Days
2/3: Final Judging Event (Virtual), 5-7pm

General Opportunities
Tech for Geographers with Professor Clancy Wilmott
Workshops are open to everyone, regardless of experience, skill, or aptitude (yes, I really mean this - anyone can learn this stuff, and we can teach anyone to code - you don't even have to do math). Whether you're a technophile or a technophobe, you are absolutely welcome in these workshops.  The workshops are in the "hacktivist" style - more like a jam in the CAGE lab than a formal series of classroom sessions, designed to teach you how to teach yourself new skills in a collaborative, absolutely non-competitive environment. There are no bell curves in these workshops. At the end of each workshop, you'll receive a certificate of completion to put into your CV.

The workshops are centered on tech skills that you might not get in other classes (unlike GIS) but are useful and fun to know:
  • HTML/CSS/JS - Ever wanted to build a webpage from scratch - or scrape the data from one? This suite of three coding languages are the building blocks of the internet.
  • Mapbox GL JS - Maps, maps, maps - for free! Mapbox is the cartographic web design framework - with awesome location capabilities to make your own location-based map.
  • Python - What are all those DATA8 kids crying about? Python is a powerful tool for data science and analytics - and super easy to boot. It does the math, so you don't have to.
  • Adobe CC - For the designers out there! Bored of Canva and want to make your own designs from scratch with a professional suite of software? This is the place to start. Adobe CC includes Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign - as well as whatever else is loaded on the CAGE lab computers.
  • Blendr - 3D animation all the way! This free software allows you to build 3D objects using meshes and skins, add visual effects, and animate.
  • Unity - the game engine for beginners interested in making interactive media - it can be used for making games, AR, or VR worlds - as well as models, and environments.
Because the CAGE lab only has 30 seats, places are limited. If you're interested, please fill out the interest form here. You have several options to enroll - either in single workshops that interest you, or you can take all six as a 1 unit supervised independent study. Please indicate your preference on the form and note which workshops you'd like to attend. We'll be in touch to confirm your place.

ISF 110: An Introduction to Data Analysis and Visualization
Due to student demand, ISF has just revived this old, popular course. Professor Quamruzzaman will introduce students to working with and analyzing data sets that are relevant to their own research interests. He will help students find the relevant data, analyze it and present it in compelling form. No previous quantitative coursework is required.  This course will solidify a skill that students will need for research at Cal and that they will find valuable in their post-graduate lives as well. All ISF students are welcome, and encouraged to take this course; it can be counted in their ISF course of study. Even students writing their thesis this semester could take this course and add a quantitative component to their thesis work over and above what they had already planned to do. The course is open to undeclared majors as well. Students have appreciated the opportunity to learn quantitative skills in a small, supportive environment. We encourage students to take advantage of this special opportunity.

TTH 9-11AM
47 Evans Hall
Class # 33678
20 seats

Alternative Meat Challenge Lab: Product Design of Plant-Based Food (INDENG 185 001)

We are excited to announce that the Berkeley Alternative Meat Challenge Lab: Product Design of Plant-Based Food (INDENG 185 001) course will be returning for Spring 2022! This one-of-a-kind program has led to the creation of several venture-backed startups, such as Prime Roots, Impact Food, Black Sheep Foods, and Sundial Foods. The course collaborates with companies in the plant-based food industry to understand the state-of-the-art of designing plant-based food products. Past collaborators have included industry leaders such as Givaudan, Nestle, Merck, Miyoko, Mantiqueira, Department of Defense, Caribou Biosciences, Thimus and others.

The program is a unique experience because students learn about food chemistry, product design, and entrepreneurship at the same time. Students will form startup teams to design and create a plant-based food product prototype. All majors and levels (undergrad/grad) are welcome, and students with backgrounds in chemistry, biochemistry, and food sciences are strongly encouraged to apply. The course also counts toward the Berkeley SCET Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Technology.

The course will be taught by Professor Ricardo San Martin who is a distinguished entrepreneur and educator and Dr. Celia Homyak, chemist and industry expert. You can learn more about the course and the Berkeley Alt:Meat Lab in this recent LA Times article

HUM 10 Indigenous Arts in the Americas: Old and New Media

HUM 10 Compass Courses Satisfy Philosophy and Values or Arts and Literature Breadth! Compass Courses allow you to study with three professors in one single course. All courses meet the Philosophy and Values (PV) and Arts and Literature (AL) Breadth Requirements. All students are eligible for the Compass Scholars Prize: a $500 department award for the three best student papers.

This class investigates recent Indigenous creative practices—including poetry, film, dance, photography, and textiles—from across the Americas to think about how these forms of making and expression are not discrete but rather intimately woven together. Looking at work from North and South America such as the novels of Leslie Marmon Silko (Laguna Pueblo), the auto-ethnography of Davi Kopenawa (Yanomami), the paintings of Carmézia Emiliano (Macuxi), and the experimental video of Sky Hopinka (Ho-Chunk/Pechanga), we will explore how conventional notions of “old” versus “new” media are irrelevant as these makers, artists, artisans, and writers urgently draw upon historical traditions in order to reimagine alternative futures. Each professor will illuminate a series of keywords - including life, time, story, and nature - from the perspective of their own disciplines (literature, film/media, visual arts) with an emphasis on social justice.

https://classes.berkeley.edu/search/class/americas?f%5B0%5D=im_field_subject_area%3A833&f%5B1%5D=im_field_term_name%3A2538&retain-filters=1

Museum of Tomorrow (MoT) Team Recruitment

Museum of Tomorrow (MoT) at Berkeley is recruiting! MoT is an RSO and a sustainability pop-up museum that uses curatorial experiences to empower behavioral change. In the past three years, MoT has gone from an idea to a running project with 10+ physical exhibits and 20+ partners, including government & private corporations. Whether you are into media, design, marketing, sustainability, business or engineering, we have spots for you (leadership positions as well!). Join us at our virtual info-sessions on January 26th at 5pm (PST) or January 27th at 7pm (PST) to learn what Museum of Tomorrow is all about! Bring a passionate heart, RVSP to our info-session at this link, and we’ll see you soon!

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to MoT’s Founder & CEO at jess...@berkeley.edu.

Jobs
Spring Semester Change Lab URAP Research Projects
Apprentices for the following URAP projects, supervised by Dr. Dan Gillette at the School of Public Health, are needed for the spring semester. Enter your application on the web beginning January 11th. The deadline to apply is Monday, January 24th at 9 AM.

1) BPH Change Lab Community Assistance Project
The purpose of this project is twofold. First, it is to support community-based organizations (CBOs) in developing the competencies and capacity needed for sustainable culture and service change. To begin with, areas of primary focus will be on supporting design, data, and advocacy efforts. This will be done through a process of co-design and co-governance facilitation on research and design efforts; training through doing. The second goal of this project is to define and refine methodologies for disseminating these competencies at scale. As such, this is a technical assistance and research project both on-the-ground and at a more theoretical level.

2) Stories of Transition
Stories of Transition is a new student and peer social impact initiative focused on effectively capturing and disseminating stories of change in later life — seeking to educate, motivate and inspire, and begin to build a social data trust for successfully navigating change and dispel stereotypes while being honest and proactive about the realities of aging. This project, run out of the Berkeley Public Health Change Lab and supported by the Institute on Senior Living, will bring together college students and older adults to digitally collect stories and create a multi-channel editorial and production pipeline to spark public discussion not just about the before and after of life transitions, but the path through. The main methods of story collection will be a mix of student and peer journalism with the goal of creating competency within communities for collecting and amplifying their own stories to create social change.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here

Amy Dinh

Jan 21, 2022, 7:14:07 PM1/21/22
to Community
Hi Jacobs community,

This week's digest features many on-campus resources, from DeCals to fellowships to courses, as well as some off-campus ones like the Core77 Design Awards and virtual talks. More details below--enjoy!

General opportunities
  • Club Signup for Design at Berkeley's Design Fair (1/23)
  • Applications for the 2022 Lyman Fellowship (due 2/1)
  • Fung Fellowship (2/18)
  • IEEE Hands-On PCB Engineering DeCal
  • 2022 Core77 Design Awards
  • Open Computing Facility
  • Berkeley Art Studio: Still time to register!
Events
  • Demystifying Data Visualization (1/27)
Jobs
  • Girls in Engineering (GiE) Program Assistant
  • Open Rank Professor in AR/VR, Media Arts and Social Engagement
  • Career Connections Events Spring 2022
Best,

Amy

General opportunities
Club Signup for Design at Berkeley's Design Fair
It’s spring and the design fair is back!🌷 Whether you’re a designer or simply design-curious, get ready to bloom at this virtual event!

Club Registrations are now open! If you are interested in participating, register at this link by 01/23 midnight.

Applications for the 2022 Lyman Fellowship
Peter Lyman Fellowship in New Media

 Applications due: February 1, 2022

The Peter Lyman Graduate Fellowship in New Media, established in the memory of an esteemed UC Berkeley faculty member, provides a summer stipend to a UC Berkeley Ph.D. candidate to support the writing of his or her Ph.D. dissertation on a topic related to New Media.

Some preference will be given to those doing research related to children and youth, to BCNM Designated Emphasis students, and to projects that focus on women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, Global South, ability diverse, and socioeconomically disadvantaged peoples as makers and users of new media. If relevant, please explain how your project foregrounds one or more of these communities. Originality and quality of research are, however, the primary criteria.

The amount of the stipend depends on the size of the fund. In Summer 2021 the fellowship amount was $6,000.

For more information and to apply, click here!

Fung Fellowship

The Fung Fellowship is a unique opportunity for rising juniors and seniors to create impact-driven solutions to address real-world challenges alongside our community and industry partners. Through 3-unit semester courses, Fung Fellows utilize the iterative human-centered design process, interdisciplinary tactics, and emerging technology in both of our offered tracks: Conservation + Tech and Health + Tech.

Apply Now

The Fung Fellowship accepts all majors into the program and there is no GPA bracket. Applications are reviewed holistically.

Information to Apply:

IEEE Hands-On PCB Engineering DeCal
Printed circuit boards (PCBs) are the building blocks of modern electronics; they can be found in applications ranging from cell phones to medical devices to rockets. The IEEE Hands-On PCB Engineering (HOPE) DeCal teaches students effective PCB design and empowers them to create custom electronics for classes, personal projects, student teams, and more!

Visit our website to find out more: http://ieee.berkeley.edu/hope or enroll at https://bit.ly/HOPE-sp22-enroll

2022 Core77 Design Awards
The time has come to share and celebrate all of your achievements over the past year — Core77 is proud to announce the 2022 Design Awards are now open for entry.

Our comprehensive program honors the industry's very best design work across 18 distinct categories. After over 10 years, our awards program remains dedicated to excellence and inclusivity, offering both students and professionals the opportunity to promote their best work on a global scale.

The 2022 Core77 Design Awards also introduces to its roster an exciting new category—The Sustainability Prize. This prize will be open to any eligible projects submitted across all 18 categories. This year's prize will be judged by a leader in the industry yet to be announced and chosen based on the criteria of inventiveness, impact, and research & strategy. Read more about the Sustainability Prize here.

What will you get if you win?
Beyond another line on their LinkedIn profile, honorees get their work showcased across the Core77 blog and beyond, adoration by your peers, visibility by esteemed designers in your field, as well as a beautiful trophy designed by New York studio Rich Brilliant Willing.

Get started now and you can save money on your total entries! Our Early Bird pricing period starts now with a deadline of January 31st. Enter now!

Open Computing Facility
The Open Computing Facility (OCF) is an all-volunteer student organization dedicated to free computing for all University of California, Berkeley students, faculty, and staff. We're passionate about open source and free software. OCF volunteers maintain services for the Berkeley community, including:
  • A spiffy computer lab in 171 MLK Student Union
  • Web & email hosting for thousands of student groups and individuals
  • Free printing for all UC Berkeley students
  • Shell accounts on our powerful on-campus servers
  • High-performance computing on our GPU server
  • ...and lots more!

Berkeley Art Studio: Still time to register
New dates for Winter & Spring: there is still time to register!

The Art Studio is delaying the start of our winter classes by two weeks to align with the latest changes to the start of the UC Berkeley Spring semester.

See our new session dates below:
Register here!

Events
Demystifying Data Visualization
"We live in an age of Big Data. If we’re going to understand our complex world, one powerful way is to graph it.” – Clive Thompson.

No matter what you do, data is at the center of it. From apps and websites to public health and the economy, everything runs on data, and it’s more important than ever that we learn how to understand it. Join us on Thursday, January 27, 12-1:30 pm ET for Demystifying Data Visualization, a virtual program with Paolo Ciuccarelli, Professor of Design and Founding Director, Center for Design, and Artist Nathalie Miebach

Jobs
Girls in Engineering (GiE) Program Assistant
Berkeley Engineering’s Girls in Engineering program is hiring program assistants! Program Assistants will support three week-long camps during June and July 2022. Must be 18 years or older by May 1, 2022 to apply.

Click here to apply or visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu/ (search for job # 28247)

Open Rank Professor in AR/VR, Media Arts and Social Engagement
The Department of Art+Design in the College of Arts, Media and Design at Northeastern University invites applications for an open-rank (tenured or tenure-track) position in AR/VR, Media Arts and Social Engagement. We seek interdisciplinary candidates with international records of excellence in critically-engaged research and/or creative practice in virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality, and immersive media. Areas of secondary specialization may include interactive art installations, art games, indie games, interactive narrative, digital storytelling, digital sculpting, architecture, gamification, presence research, perceptual psychology, cognitive training, clinical training, rehabilitation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing, procedural generation, sustainability, robotics, biomachine integration, social change, critical theory, resilience or (mis)information research.

Our department values accomplished designers and researchers with interests in creating powerful experiences for people through the design of artifacts, environments, and services, and advancing the field of design research and scholarship. We follow integrative and holistic approaches to design, grounded in cultural practices and behavioral arts, and embrace creative research questions of how technologically mediated action is lived, felt and valued. Our diversified faculty and student work explores perspectives on human experience as a process of making sense of the world, participating in culture, and engaging with community.

The position will be joint with another relevant Northeastern University College depending on the candidate’s profile and research interests. Potential joint appointments include the Bouvé College of Health Sciences, the Khoury College of Computer Sciences, the College of Engineering or the College of Social Sciences and Humanities.

Link: https://careers.hrm.northeastern.edu/en-us/job/508605/open-rank-professor-in-arvr-media-arts-and-social-engagement

Career Connections Events 2022 Spring
Below are a few upcoming design/tech oriented events hosted by the UC Berkeley Career Center. The full Career Connections event list can be found on Handshake.

Art, Architecture, and Design |  Thursday, February 10, 2022

Are you passionate about a career in art, architecture and/or design but aren’t sure about what careers are out there for you if you decide to take that path? Do you have a creative side? Come and connect with alumni and professionals in a multitude of fields involving arts, architecture, design, and/or technology! Come ask questions and get to know past CAL students and professionals that might’ve been in your shoes before.

Tech for Good |  Thursday, February 24, 2022

Are you in tech and want to have a career where you feel good about the work you are doing? Come explore the intersection of tech and social justice with alumni and professionals in a variety of technical and non-technical roles in Social Enterprise, Educational Technology, Healthcare, CleanTech, NGOs/Non-Profits, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), and more!