Design opportunities digest - April 1st

Amy Dinh

Apr 1, 2022, 4:46:19 PMApr 1
to Community
Hi Jacobs community,

We worked with a visual branding agency to create a modern new look for the Jacobs community digest--what do you think?

Enjoy browsing this week's design opportunities digest and note that some of the event dates and application deadlines are *today*!

Design events
  • Discovery Panel: Undergraduate Projects on Community-Engaged Arts and Design (4/1)
  • [Berkeley Arts + Design Events] CREATE: Art in the post-COVID classroom (4/8)
Design general opportunities
  • Enter to win the Core77 Design Awards Sustainability Prize (4/1)
  • The Parmigiano Reggiano Design Challenge 2022 (5/6)
  • Call for Study Participants: Visual Design Style Transfer
  • Apply to the Cal Energy Corps
  • Seeking Interviewees for Rapid High Altitude Acclimatization Design Project
Design jobs
  • Apply for Design Fellowships (4/4)
  • Camp Assistant Position, Summer 2022 ( due 4/8)
  • Product Design Engineer Intern, Summer 2022
Best,

Amy

Design events
Discovery Panel: Undergraduate Projects on Community-Engaged Arts and Design
Friday, April 1st, 4-5pm
Register for Zoom panel here

How can art and design make a social impact and build community? How can you get involved in creative discovery and community service? Join us for a conversation with undergraduates from wide ranging disciplines who are deeply involved in campus projects or programs that use arts and design to engage communities.

Student panelists include: Malachi Tran (Arts + Design Student Council), Nassirah Nelson (Platform Artspace, Fung Fellowship), Grace Hunzicker (Creative Residencies for Emerging Artists Teaching Empowerment), and Valerie V. Ekko (Jacobs Innovation Catalyst Grant), Brandon James Yung & Sam Greenberg (Telegraph for People organization) .

This event is part of the new campus series "Interventions & Innovations: Undergraduates in Conversation About Their Discovery Projects" hosted by the Discovery Hub.

[Berkeley Arts + Design Events] CREATE: Art in the post-COVID classroom
12:30 PM - 2:00 PM @ BAMPFA Osher Theater

CREATE (Creative Residencies for Emerging Artists Teaching Empowerment) will discuss experiences and anecdotes from club members teaching online and transitioning to in-person in the past year, how online education exacerbated disparities and how we can close those disparities now.

Design general opportunities
Enter to win the Core77 Design Awards Sustainability Prize
There has never been a more urgent time to promote progressive environmental action in design, and that's why Core77 is introducing our Sustainability Prize in the 2022 Core77 Design Awards—an award presented to one outstanding project demonstrating the most innovative, exciting, and impactful solution pointing to a brighter, restorative era of design. We're also excited and proud to partner with Sappi as the inaugural Presenting Sponsor of the Sustainability Prize.

The winner of the Sustainability Prize will have their work showcased at Core77 and through our social channels for the entire year. The winner will also receive the coveted Core77 Design Awards trophy. In addition, Sappi will select a sustainable entry that showcases the best use of paper. That winner will have the work featured on Core77 as well as through Sappi's social channels.

Enter your sustainable design today! The deadline is today.

The Parmigiano Reggiano Design Challenge 2022
We’re inviting professional designers and design students to submit concepts for products that can transform the process of cooking and consuming food into delightful, surprising and enriching experiences. Given that the competition is about the magic that happens at the intersection of design and food, we’ve asked two talented chefs to create dishes that can serve as inspiration for the entries

The winning entries will receive Gold, Silver and Bronze awards as well as visibility and media recognition. The Best of Show winner will win a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy for two, complete with private tours of the Kartell and Alessi design museums, and a VIP visit to a Parmigiano Reggiano cheese making facility.

Best of all, it is totally FREE to enter! Learn more and enter here.

Call for Study Participants: Visual Design Style Transfer
We are searching for users to participate in a study to help us evaluate our design tool for transferring style between vector graphic designs such as UI mockups, infographics, or illustrations. The study includes designing and sending one UI mockup and an hour-long remote session using our prototype to transfer styles across designs. Your compensation for participation in the study would be $30, paid by an Amazon gift card.

To sign up to participate, please fill out this short interest form: https://forms.gle/MD7pez1U4rCB14TC7

If you have any questions, contact Jeremy Warner at jeremy...@berkeley.edu

Apply to the Cal Energy Corps
Work with leading organizations to develop sustainable energy and climate solutions through programming, research, business, and more! Summer 2022 placements include:

Berkeley Lab
Enhanced rock weathering in soils for carbon removal
Gain knowledge on the fundamentals of carbon removal and sequestration in soils, and get hands-on experience with investigating the interactions between rocks, soil matrix, microbes, and plants.

PingThings
Front End Engineering Intern
Use JavaScript, HTML, and CSS to improve PingThing's web client, work with real-time data streams, and engineer for performance across browsers.

Software Engineering Intern
Work with systems engineers, data scientists, and web application developers to develop and maintain PingThings' backend systems, create simple web applications and APIs, and analyze datasets

Takachar
Project Engineer
Prototype, test, and deploy the design of small-scale, low-cost, portable equipment that converts waste biomass into solid fuel, fertilizer, and other specialty chemicals.

Questions? Email calener...@berkeley.edu

Seeking Interviewees for Rapid High Altitude Acclimatization Design Project
This semester a team of graduate students are working to provide solutions to Special Operation Command for rapid high altitude acclimatization for rescue personnel. The goal of the project is to help rescuers acclimate to elevations over 10,000ft quickly and effectively, allowing them to save lives and operate at peak levels. The team has been collecting data and insights from a variety of stakeholders, but they would love to interview and share potential solutions with anyone who has experience mountaineering at high altitudes, those who have worked on other natural disaster rescue missions, first responders, and members of the armed forces.

If you would like to share your time and insights, please contact team member Adam Huth at ajh...@berkeley.edu.

Design jobs
Apply for Design Fellowships
2023-2023 Chronicle Books
Graphic Design Fellowship

Applications are closing soon for the 2022-2023 Chronicle Books Graphic Design Fellowship Program!

We’re hiring three designers to gain hands-on experience designing for the publishing world. All Fellowships are full-time paid positions for 12-months, which include health benefits and vacation. These jobs will be based in our headquarters in San Francisco.

Submissions are due on Monday, April 4, 2022. Learn more.

Camp Assistant Position, Summer 2022
The Lawrence Hall of Science, in partnership with Girls, Inc. of the Island City and the Boys and Girls Club of Alameda, is offering a summer solar camp to rising 7th and 8th grade youth. At this camp, a diverse group of participating youth will have the opportunity to explore solar energy through hands-on activities and engineering challenges, address real world problems and learn about green jobs and STEM careers in a fun and inclusive environment. The two sessions run sequentially from June 13 to July 8 (with holidays on June 20 and July 4).
Position Description: Camp Assistant will provide assistance to the lead teacher and staff, support youth in conducting hands-on solar exploration and engineering activities, assist with preparing lessons and lesson materials, lead community building activities and cultivate a positive camp culture among the youth participants. Duties will also include building youth leadership, promoting STEM inquiry, and leading activities in an engaging and student-centered way. Camp Assistant will also manage and organize materials, facilitate campers’ arrivals and departures, and coordinate the distribution of breakfast, lunch and snack, including set-up and clean-up. Some lifting and cleaning will be required, and site COVID safety protocols must be followed.

Required Qualifications:
  • Undergraduate or graduate student in a STEM field
  • Comfortable learning and building solar powered devices with youth
  • Serve as a positive role model for youth
  • Experience, knowledge and confidence facilitating programs for groups of diverse youth including learning and community building activities
  • Enjoy engaging with and leading activities for youth between the ages of 12-16
  • Be able to support youth development and advocate for youth leadership
  • Value diversity, embrace inclusiveness, and advance gender and racial equity
  • Ability to manage multiple priorities and be adaptable in a dynamic environment
  • Positive communication with staff, researchers, youth, families and community partners
  • Work collaboratively with teaching staff to provide a positive learning experience.
  • Attendance and punctuality are imperative and non-negotiable
  • Reliable and consistent method of transportation to Alameda
Hours Per Week:  Must be available Monday-Friday 7 :30am-5:30pm. June 6-July 11, 2022
Pay Rate:  $18.00 per hour.

Applying: If you are interested in this position, send a cover letter and resume to the Program Director, Joanna Totino, at jto...@berkeley.edu. In your cover letter please include: your experience relevant to the qualifications above, why you are interested in the position and what you will bring to the position.

Applications due by April 8, 2022 (but will be accepted until the position is filled). Applications will be reviewed as received and you will be contacted for an initial video interview.

Product Design Engineer Intern
The Pickering Lab in CEE is looking to hire a graduate student with manufacturing expertise and mechanical engineering knowledge to help build passive chlorinators for future field testing and implementation in Kenya. We are looking for a student intern who can begin working with us ASAP (Spring 2022 semester) and continue through the end of Summer 2022.

Our passive chlorinator device, also known as the Venturi, automatically doses liquid chlorine in piped water supplies at the tap to achieve optimal disinfection and taste/odor thresholds without requiring daily user input or electricity. The student intern will be tasked with using existing CAD files and 2D drawings to custom machine parts and combine them with off-the-shelf components to assemble 5 beta prototypes.

The short-term goal of the project is to send the beta prototypes to our field implementation partners in Kenya (from CARE) so that they can begin testing the devices in novel settings (schools and healthcare facilities). In parallel, a professional design engineer has been contracted to re-design the Venturi so it can be mass-manufactured locally in Kenya via injection molding, to enable cohesive and rapid assembly with minimal labor and cost. For more information on this project, please visit our website and direct any additional questions to Dr. Katya Cherukumilli (kat...@berkeley.edu) and Dr. Amy Pickering (pick...@berkeley.edu).

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
Venturi Student Intern AD.pdf
2022 Summer Solar Camp Flyer 03_22_22.pdf
22 Cal EC_Open Placements Poster_11x17[2] (1).pdf