Design opportunities digest - December 2, 2022

Amy Dinh

Dec 2, 2022, 6:58:34 PM12/2/22
to Community

Hello Jacobs Community,

The opportunities digest for this final week of fall semester courses is relatively short but still sweet. It contains opportunities to explore design and art through community, courses, or internships.

General Opportunities

  • Patent Pending community coworking space
  • The Art of Public Health (PBHLTH 290 005)

Career

  • Intern With the Bay Area Book Festival

  • Intern at Worth Ryder Art Gallery

Have a good weekend!

Amy

General Opportunities

Patent Pending community coworking space

Patent Pending is a community space by Build the Future for creators.

We believe that ideas flourish in environments that foster human connection, good conversation, and creative play. Patent Pending is a place where all three come together. We host co-working sessions on the first Thursday of every month from 7-10pm on campus.

Whether you’re hacking away on a side project or drafting a newsletter, you can work on it here alongside other Berkeley students. We’ll have food, drinks, and activities to help you connect with both your work and each other.

Ready to join us? You can fill out our membership application and we’ll be in touch: https://tinyurl.com/patentpendingbybtf

The Art of Public Health (PBHLTH 290 005)
Jaspal S. Sandhu & Somalee Banerjee
Thursdays 4-6 PM, Studio 10, Jacobs Hall, Spring 2023

The Art of Public Health is a multidisciplinary, interactive, making-based course to introduce students to the variety of ways that Art shapes Public Health practice. Each week, students will be introduced to novel intersections between the arts and public health through curated resources, guest speakers, small-group discussions, site visits, and interactive workshops. The course is organized into three major modules, each relating to the respective intention of art: Communication (behavior change), Advocacy (systems change), and Community (building and healing). Regular creative exercises will culminate in a public gallery show for the campus community.

This is a 3-unit, graduate-level course. We will reserve a small number of seats for exceptional undergraduates. We anticipate space for 25 students. While we welcome those with deep experience in the arts, crafting, and making to participate, we strongly encourage students with no such experience to apply.

To apply: https://innovate.berkeley.edu/art

Career

Intern With the Bay Area Book Festival

Taking place in person May 6-7, 2023 in downtown Berkeley, the Bay Area Book Festival (BABF) is now accepting applications from UC Berkeley interns to receive course credit through Humanities 197 for the spring 2023 semester. This will be a P/NP, 2-4 units, with a stipend of $300 paid to each student from the Bay Area Book Festival.

Applications due by December 7, 2022. Learn more and apply here.

Intern at Worth Ryder Art Gallery

This is a 1-4 unit internship open to all UCB students, regardless of major. Interns will gain hands-on experience working in an art gallery. Application is competitive, and the deadline for priority consideration is December 6, 2002.

Learn more here. Questions? Please contact Worth Ryder Gallery director, Gazelle Samizay: gsam...@berkeley.edu.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here