Upcoming@Jacobs: February 16th 2023

1 view

Amy Dinh

Feb 16, 2023, 11:48:23 AM2/16/23
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

Join us on Zoom this morning at 10am for this week's Design Field Notes speaker, and take note as well of our Presidents Day building closure and the BCDI Info Session on March 3rd. More details below!

Best,

Amy

Feb 16: Design Field Notes w/ Jun Kamei
Each semester, the Jacobs Design Field Notes speaker series invites a dynamic group of designers, artists, and academics in design-related fields to share their work and practice. Each talk is free and open to all students and members of the public. This semester, talks will take place on Zoom Thursdays, 10 – 11 a.m. PT.View the full speaker lineup here and subscribe to the Design Field Notes Google calendar here.

This week's speaker is:

Bio-Inspired Innovation
Jun Kamei / CEO at AMPHICO
Thursday, February 16 | 10-11am | Join the talk with this Zoom link

Jun Kamei is the founder and CEO of AMPHICO, an award winning material innovation company based in London. He is the inventor of AMPHIGILL, a novel type of artificial gill technology designed to reduce dramatically the size of air tanks in diving devices by directly capturing oxygen from water. Before founding AMPHICO, Jun worked as a researcher at the DLX Design Lab in Japan, a collaboration between the Royal College of Art and the Institute of Industrial Science at the University of Tokyo. In this role, Jun led multiple science and design projects, including Omni, a low-cost and open-source platform for gathering and analyzing critical oceanographic data.

Mar 3: BCDI Information/Q&A Session
Please join us for a Zoom Information and Q&A Session on Friday, March 3rd from 3:00-4:00pm, to learn more about the Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation and have your questions about fulfilling certificate requirements, Summer 2023 enrollment, Fall 2023 Phase I enrollment, future course availability, etc., answered by the BCDI advisor.

RSVP for BCDI Info Session 3/3/23 3-4pm
Zoom Link: https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/93876464941
*Zoom presentation will be recorded and distributed to the BCDI mailing list.
**During the Live Q&A, students can submit questions in the chat section of the Zoom presentation.

The Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation (BCDI) assumes that innovation does not come from just one area of study, but requires the integration of many modes of technology, knowledge, and thought. The cross-disciplinary, cross-departmental partnership between the College of Environmental Design, the College of Engineering, the Haas School of Business, and the College of Letters and Sciences Arts and Humanities Division hopes to guide undergraduate students across UC Berkeley’s campus to the critical need for design thinking, regardless of their major.

For more information about BCDI, please visit our website at http://bcdi.berkeley.edu and/or email the BCDI advisor, Tyshon Rogers with any questions at tro...@berkeley.edu.

Jacobs Hall Closure for Presidents Day Weekend
Please note that Jacobs Hall will be closed Saturday February 18 - Monday February 20 in observance of the Presidents Day holiday. This closure includes the makerspace, teaching studios, and staff offices. You can view the building hours, and special closure dates, here on the Jacobs website.

Jacobs Hall Elevator Back in Service
As you may already know, the Jacobs elevator is back in service, as of last week. Thank you to the technical staff and facilities services who facilitated the repairs!

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here