Upcoming@Jacobs: welcome back events, grant program, maker resources, and more

Amy Dinh

Aug 24, 2022, 7:44:55 PM8/24/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

Our student community has grown larger and livelier this semester, with the arrival of new students to campus. They include members of the third cohort of the Berkeley Master of Design program--welcome, MDes students!

Hello as well to the new subscribers to this listserv. The Jacobs Community listserv is used to share news, events, and opportunities with all Berkeley students interested in the intersections of human-centered design and emerging technologies.

To share a relevant announcement, email it to me (amy...@berkeley.edu) with an announcement title, a one paragraph description and a URL or email through which students can get more information. Get more information about the Jacobs Community listserv, including archived newsletters and adjusting your subscriber settings, here.

Read on below for a reminder of our back to school events, Maker Pass and JPS registration, and quickly approaching deadlines for our grant program and student advisory board. The Innovation Catalysts grant program has a Zoom info session tomorrow (August 25th) and applications are due in a week on August 31st!

Best,

Amy

JACOBS BACK TO SCHOOL EVENTS
We look forward to welcoming both new and returning members of the campus design community to Jacobs Hall for the start of the 2022-2023 school year. You are cordially invited to join us at any or all of our back to school events. Below is a summary of upcoming activities; get full details on our back to school news post. See you there!
  • 8/26, 8/30, 8/31, and 9/1: Design Resources @ Jacobs Hall Building Tour
  • 9/2 Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation Info Session
  • 9/2 Design [Fair] at Berkeley (more on that below)
  • 9/2 Campus Makers' Crawl
  • 9/9 Jacobs Makerspace Open House
  • 9/23 First Gen/Undocu Student Orientation
INNOVATION CATALYSTS STUDENT GRANT PROGRAM
Each semester the Jacobs Innovation Catalysts student grant program supports student ideas and projects with up to $2000 of funding and other support. If you've been dreaming up a new concept or would like to continue working on a recent project, consider applying to join our next cohort!

We support a wide range of projects at the intersection of design and technology innovation, reflecting the multitude of talents and interests in the Jacobs community. The program is open to all current Berkeley students, including both undergraduates and graduates.

Applications are due Wednesday, August 31st at 11:59pm. Learn more on the grant webpage and sign up to get key grant program announcements. There is also a Zoom info session tomorrow Wednesday, August 25th 4-5pm.

MAKER PASS & JPS REGISTRATION OPEN
Friendly reminder that both Maker Pass and JPS registration for the fall semester are now open! We recommend signing up for access early so you have more time to make use of our maker resources during the semester. Need-based financial aid is available and can be requested during the signup process.

Club Leaders, if you wish to provide your club members Maker Passes, apply to the Club Maker Pass program, which allows student groups to purchase Maker Passes for their members at 50% of the standard fee ($63/student). Club Maker Pass application reviews start on August 31st and the deadline to submit is September 16th.

JOIN THE 2022-2023 JACOBS STUDENT ADVISORY BOARD
The Jacobs Student Advisory Board helps to ensure that student opinions, needs, and interests are taken into account during our strategic planning and program development. We are looking for individuals who represent diverse perspectives from our student community. Applications to join the 2022-23 Jacobs SAB are due by Monday, September 5th, at 11:59pm.

DES INV 190 DESIGNING YOUR PROFESSIONAL PORTFOLIO
The Jacobs Institute is launching a new short course this fall: DES INV 190: Designing Your Professional Portfolio. This course aims to help get a student’s portfolio off the ground by showing good and bad examples, strategies on creating impressions for reviewers, and a step-by-step guide on how to put one’s first portfolio together.

This one-unit course will be taught by Purin Phanichphant on Fridays over 8 weeks this fall (September 9 - October 28). Enrollment/participation (including # of auditors) is limited and requires an applicationApplications are due by Friday, September 2. Learn more on this one page overview.

DESIGN [FAIR] AT BERKELEY

Date: Friday, Sept 2, 2022

Time: 10am to 2pm PST

Where: Jacobs Hall 310 (in-person)

Contact: @designatberk on Instagram

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here