Upcoming@Jacobs - January 26th 2023

Amy Dinh

Jan 26, 2023, 12:30:16 PM1/26/23
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

This week's newsletter features interesting upcoming events, including the first Design Field Notes talk of the semester--today at 10am! We'd also like to share a new student job opportunity at Jacobs on our Creative Catalysts team, as well as a service announcement about the Jacobs Hall elevator being out of service; if your access to Jacobs Hall may be affected by this issue, please read below and let us know.

Best,

Amy

*TODAY* Jan 26: Design Field Notes w/ Benjamin Pawle
Jacobs Design Field Notes speaker series is back for the spring semester! Each semester, DFN invites a dynamic group of designers, artists, and academics in design-related fields to share their work and practice. Each talk is free and open to all students and members of the public, as well as students enrolled in DES INV 95/195. View the full speaker lineup here. This semester, talks will take place on Zoom Thursdays, 10 – 11 a.m. PT., starting with today's speaker:

Make Stuff, Not Assumptions
Benjamin Pawle /  Co-founder, Nord Projects
Thursday, January 26 | 10-11am | Join the talk with this Zoom link

Ben is a product and interaction designer. He co-founded Nord Projects – a design invention studio in east London – where he spends his time crafting new products, prototypes and speculative perspectives on the future of computing and AI.

Feb 1: Design Career Conversation with Leon Zhang: UX Design at Google
What does it take to get hired at Google for UX?  What is it like working there?  Join this in person conversation with Leon Zhang, UC Berkeley (B.A. Cognitive Science 2017) alum and Google interaction designer for a conversation about his post-Berkeley career path.  Hear about what life is like working on emerging tech at Google (and Apple and Twitch and Pandora — his previous employers!), and his recommendations for starting out a career in UX design.  There will be plenty of time for open Q&A, so bring your questions! Pizza will be served; RSVP required.

We're Hiring! Seeking Student Designer for Jacobs Creative Catalyst Team
The Jacobs Institute is looking for students to join our creative team as a Creative Communication Catalyst and help promote and share stories at Jacobs Institute and its courses and programs. This role will work with the Jacobs Creative Team to assist the Jacobs Institute Senior Director of External Affairs in creating media assets for the Jacobs Institute and Master of Design (MDes) social media channels and web presence, as well as for other marketing and promotions. Access the full job description and application instructions here on Handshake (requires CalNet log-in).

PSA: Jacobs Hall Elevator Out of Service
Please be advised that the elevator in Jacobs Hall is offline due to an unforeseen technical issue; we estimate that it will be out of service for at least the next two to three weeks.

The basement, first, and second floors of Jacobs Hall are still wheelchair accessible during this period, but the third floor is currently only accessible by staircase. If you need help navigating the shutdown, let us know by replying this email, and we will work with you to identify an interim solution while the elevator is being repaired. We apologize for the difficulty and thank you for your patience and cooperation.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here