Jacobs Opportunities and Events, May 3–7, 2021

Lauren Ardis

Apr 29, 2021, 5:10:33 PM4/29/21
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hello Jacobs Community,

Here are a few announcements to know going into RRR week, May 3–May 7. Best of luck studying for finals, and to all of our students preparing for next week's Design Showcase. Also—please make sure you fill out our annual Jacobs Survey before the deadline!

Have a great weekend,
Lauren

NEWS + EVENTS

CAL WEEK VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE AND Q&A
TOMORROW! Friday, April 30
10–12 pm

Join Jacobs as we take part in UC Berkeley's annual Cal Week (formerly Cal Day). This event will be led by our Student Services and Programs Manager, Amy Dinh; and Technical Lab Director, Joey Gottbrath, and will include a tour of our Makerspace and an overview of our courses and student programs. If you'd like to continue to learn more about the opportunities available at Jacobs—especially our remote fabrication services and learning strategies—please join us! Visit our Prospective Students page to learn more, and join the conversation here.

SPRING 2021 DESIGN SHOWCASE
Wednesday, May 5 + Thursday, May 6

Join Jacobs for the Spring Design Showcase on Wednesday, May 5, and Thursday, May 6.

This two-day, virtual version of our semesterly Showcase highlights student accomplishments and course work with our students’ peers, the campus community, and the greater Berkeley public.

In addition to featuring student projects from Jacobs-affiliated courses, we invite all individuals, student groups, and DeCals in the Jacobs community to share your work at the showcase through pre-published content (e.g., video, website, Behance page, etc.). Check out the past virtual showcase archives (at the right-hand side of the showcase page) to see what past groups have done.

Leaders of student clubs and DeCals, and individual students, please contact Tyshon Rogers (tro...@berkeley.edu) by May 3rd if you want to participate, and include the URL that we should use to direct showcase visitors to learn about your project(s).

Innovation in Disaster Response, Recovery & Resilience Course Project Showcase

TOMORROW! Friday, April 30

1:30–3:30 PM PT

Join DEV ENG 290-1 / DES INV 190-10 / ME 292C for their final presentations, tomorrow, Friday, April 30th. Innovation in Disaster Response, Recovery & Resilience will also be participating asynchronously in our Spring Design Showcase, but help kick-off final presentations a few days earlier!

For this course, 29 students from 10 different academic departments dove into the topic of innovative disaster response, recovery, and resilience—working with six organizations across the US Department of Defense to explore projects focusing on disaster preparedness as a national security issue. Practicing human-centered design, systems thinking, and technology prototyping, students engaged with their partner organization to interview stakeholders, frame opportunities, and design an intervention to address real challenges in disaster response.

OPPORTUNITIES + REMINDERS

Jacobs Annual Student Survey

The Jacobs annual student survey is now ready! The anonymous survey provides a very important avenue for the Jacobs Institute to check in with our student community. The survey is open to all UC Berkeley students who have participated in Jacobs activities and resources, or who are interested in doing so. We encourage you to share your anonymous feedback by Sunday, May 9th. Please share the survey link widely with your peers too (survey.jacobshall.org). We will also raffle off $20 gift cards to three survey respondents.

Fall 2021 ASE Roles for DES INV Courses

The Jacobs Institute is currently hiring for the upcoming Fall 2021 ASE positions:

More information about the available roles and instructions on how to apply are provided on the Jacobs website. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning immediately, until positions are filled, with a goal of filling all positions by early June. Before applying, please review information about the course, including meeting time and content, through the links provided on the website; and ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to be an ASE, especially if you are applying to be a first-time GSI.

Contact: Aleta Martinez, al...@berkeley.edu, who is coordinating the hiring process.

Fall 2021 Jacobs Course List

The fall 2021 Jacobs course list is ready for your perusal! The courses on this list include Design Innovation (DES INV) courses taught by Jacobs instructors, as well as design courses offered by other departments that are affiliated with us. More courses will be added to this list as they are confirmed, including design DeCals.

Jacobs Hall courses will follow campus guidelines regarding instructional planning for fall 2021; the planned default instructional mode is in-person while staying flexible and monitoring public health conditions. One notable exception is that DES INV 21 and DES INV 95 will still be offered online courses this fall; this information is displayed on the course listing as the course location and instructional format.

To learn more about DES INV enrollment policies, go here. You can also contact Tyshon Rogers, tro...@berkeley.edu, or Amy Dinh, amy...@berkeley.edu. To learn about a design course offered by another department (i.e. any non-DES INV course), please contact the sponsoring department directly.

Fall 2021 DES INV DeCal Sponsorship

The deadline for first-time DeCals to apply to be sponsored as a DES INV DeCal for Fall 2021 is TOMORROW, April 30, and May 28 for returning decals. Learn more here.

 Instagram • Facebook • Twitter