Design opportunities digest

Amy Dinh

Nov 10, 2021, 4:15:13 PM11/10/21
to Community
Hi all,

Here is this week's design opportunities digest, with lots of upcoming events organized by campus design student groups and organizations, plus interesting internships and academic opportunities. 99% Invisible podcast fans, be sure to check out the final job listing in the digest!

Design Events
  • Innovative Design's CMYK Designathon (11/13)
  • Arts + Design Mondays--Second Nature: Embodying our Technological Systems (11/15)
  • Berkeley Innovation Virtual Designer Coffee Chats (11/18)
Design General Opportunities
  • Southside Complete Streets Project - Nov. Open House & Survey (11/10 & 11/28)
Design Jobs
  • ELLIS PhD Program (apply by 11/15)
  • Field-Study Internship Opportunities with Bay Area Book Festival! (11/17)
  • AR/VR Research Engineer @ Apple
  • Spring Intern, Podcast Editor for 99% Invisible
Best,

Amy

Design Events
Innovative Design's CMYK Designathon

Join us on Saturday, November 13th, for a day of learning and practicing graphic design through a series of talks and friendly competition. Work within teams of 3-6 people on a special design prompt for Sleepy Cat Books, and get feedback from designers before delivering an exciting 2-minute pitch for your design!

Location: Jacobs Hall 310

Time: 11/13 9am-6pm

For more information, check out: https://cmyk.innovativedesign.club

Arts + Design Mondays
Second Nature: Embodying our Technological Systems
Monday, Nov 15, 6:30 PM

Bay Area dance companies Kinetech Arts (co-directed by Daiane Lopes da Silva and Weidong Yang) and Smith/Wymore Disappearing Acts (co-directed by Sheldon B. Smith and Lisa Wymore) will be in conversation talking about their years of experience working within the intersection of dance and technology.
More information about the event and how to register at: https://bampfa.org/event/second-nature-embodying-our-technological-systems

Berkeley Innovation Virtual Designer Coffee Chats
Breaking into product design can be daunting and it’s often difficult to figure out the next steps in your design journey. On November 18thBerkeley Innovation will be offering virtual 1:1 coffee chats with leading designers. Sign up for a 20-minute virtual call with a designer working in the industry for an intentional conversation on your design journey. Get personalized advice on recruiting, portfolio development, or anything else design-related. Sign-ups are limited first come first serve.

Check out the facebook event: https://fb.me/e/1S8xeOcXk

General Opportunities
Southside Complete Streets Project - Nov. Open House & Survey
The City of Berkeley is starting on the Southside Complete Streets Project and wants to hear from you.

What is the Southside Complete Streets Project?
The Southside Complete Streets Project is a Federally-funded transportation improvement project that will repave and make changes to streets in the Southside. Some of the changes and new facilities being considered include:
  • protected bikeways;
  • bus-only traffic lanes;
  • wider sidewalks;
  • safer pedestrian street crossings;
  • better street and sidewalk lighting at night;
  • street trees and green infrastructure;
  • improved loading zones for local businesses and passenger pick-up & drop-off.
We want to hear from you!
To learn more and get involved...
Visit our website at berkeleysouthsidecompletestreets.org, or email questions & comments to the project manager, Eric Anderson, Senior Transportation Planner.

Design Jobs
ELLIS PhD Program
Apply by November 15, 2021, to join the ELLIS PhD Program in 2022.

The ELLIS PhD program is a key element of the ELLIS initiative and its goal is to foster and educate the best talent in machine learning and related research areas by pairing outstanding students with leading academic and industrial researchers in Europe. The program also offers a variety of networking and training activities, including summer schools and workshops. Each PhD student is co-supervised by one ELLIS fellow/scholar/unit faculty and one ELLIS fellow/scholar/member based in different European countries, and conducts an exchange of at least 6 months with the international advisor during their degree. One of the advisors may also come from industry, in which case the student will collaborate closely with the industry partner, and spend min. 6 months conducting research at the industrial lab.

*APPLY NOW*
Interested candidates should apply online through the ELLIS application portal by November 15th, 2021, 23:59 CET. Please read our FAQs and webpage before applying.

  • Application portal: Register at apply.ellis.eu/registration/ellis_2021 and follow the instructions in the registration email.
  • Application deadline: November 15th, 2021, 23:59 CET
  • All application documents (including reference letters, see below) must be submitted before the application deadline. Only complete applications will be considered.
  • Timeline of the selection procedure: review (November/December 2021), interviews (January/February 2022), decisions (late February - March 2022)
Visit here for more information.

Field-Study Internship Opportunities with Bay Area Book Festival!
Taking place both in person and virtually May 7-8, 2022 in downtown Berkeley, the Bay Area Book Festival (BABF) is now accepting applications from UC Berkeley interns to receive course credit through Theater 197 for the spring 2022 semester. This will be a P/NP, three-unit Field Study (Independent Study).

BABF internships are an excellent opportunity for students to learn what is required to produce a major literary event that is regional, national and international in scope. They will choose one of five tracks: literary curationfestival production/volunteer servicesmarketing & community engagementwriting & communications, and development & fundraising

How to Apply:
To apply, you must be a UC Berkeley student eligible to receive course credit through Theater 197 for the spring 2022 semester. All majors are welcome — you do not need to be a Theater major. Once you’ve chosen an internship track that interests you, submit the 2022 BABF Internship Application by midnight on Wednesday, November 17, 2021. As the selection process can be competitive and interviews are conducted on a rolling basis, we encourage early application submissions.

Please find the internship position descriptions and application form here: https://www.baybookfest.org/festival-internship/

AR/VR Research Engineer @ Apple
Our team is looking for an interdisciplinary AR/VR Research Engineer with expertise in applying state-of-the-art research. The ideal candidate will have a history building software tools,
libraries, and applications that intersects scientific research and product development.

This is a hands-on interdisciplinary development role that will require you to be versatile across a variety of tasks in a highly collaborative and focused environment. You will work closely with scientists, engineers, and designers to build world-class technology at Apple. You will have the following responsibilities:
  • Implement 3D experiences that enable scientific research.
  • Sensor data collection and analysis.
  • Develop, maintain, and support software libraries and tools.
  • Technical resource on laboratory equipment setup and maintenance.
Learn more and apply here.

Spring Intern, Podcast Editor for 99% Invisible

SiriusXM and Pandora have joined together to create the leading audio entertainment company in the U.S. Together, we are uniquely positioned to lead a new era of audio entertainment by delivering the most compelling subscription and ad-supported audio experiences to millions of listeners -- in the car, at home and on the go. Our talent, content, technology and innovation continue to be at the forefront, and we want you to be a part of it! SiriusXM + Pandora interns don't make coffee. They're on-air, writing code, working on projects and making valuable contributions to the company. Join our internship program and learn about the world of audio entertainment and get hands-on experience in your field of study.

Position Summary
Stitcher is seeking an intern interested in making and editing podcast episodes. This person will be part of the 99% Invisible team, responsible for engaging reporting and joyful storytelling about design and the built world.

Duties and Responsibilities

  • Learn and contribute to operations for 99pi’s upcoming weekly episodes.
  • Help production teams by researching sources, sending booking requests, preparing background research for hosts, looking for archival materials, cutting tape, etc.
  • Assist with the team in supplemental materials for the website and posting to social media.
  • Participate in team meetings and creative collaboration.
  • Perform other duties as required.
Learn more and apply here!

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here

Amy Dinh

Nov 16, 2021, 5:20:11 PM11/16/21
to Community
Hi all,

Here's your design digest of the week, including some timely opportunities coming up tomorrow and Thursday. More details below!

Design general opportunities
  • Join the Design @ Berkeley Officer Board! (11/17)
  • RM1000 Design Build Competition (12/31)
 Design events
  • PhD in technical HCI office hour (11/17)
  • Design Museum Everywhere's Sketch Series: Explore Design Thinking (11/18)
  • ROAR Fall 2021 S1/S2 Racing Series Competition (12/4)
Best,

Amy

Design opportunities
Join the Design @ Berkeley Officer Board!

Design at Berkeley is all about innovating new and effective ways to further our mission. We're growing our team to make a bigger impact!

We're looking for designers of any kind (even if you have no experience!) who share our passion for our mission, are willing to take the initiative, and are excited about shaping the future of Design at Berkeley!

General Responsibilities

Time commitment for each position will be roughly 3-6 hours/week, and every position is a semester-long commitment.

  • Lead, help facilitate, and participate in D@B Events

  • Direct interested students to the right resources

  • Attend Officer Board Meetings, our public General Meetings, Project Meetings, and any Teamwork sessions

    • We alternate between GM and Board Meetings every Wednesday 6-7:30PM

    • Teamwork sessions will be planned if necessary, but we try to incorporate them into our Board Meetings!

If you want to chat to find more about Design at Berkeley or learn about specific roles, feel free to reach out! View Current Officers here!

More Information

If you would like to learn more about our new initiatives and specific roles feel free to check out our Notion~ for more information.

Timeline:

Applications open now → designatberkeley.com/officerapps

Applications due 11/17 by 6:00pm PT

Interview (by invitation) → 11/18 - 20

Decisions announced via Email! → 11/22

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions! Thank you and have a great day~

RM1000 Design Build Competition
For this year's Room One Thousand competition, we invite you to design and build a space that heightens our sensitivity to our bodies and those around us. Choreographing a space of encounter between our bodies and the trace of the maker, the Body-made space allows visitors to create tangible or intangible marks of their own through touch, gaze, or contemplation.

The winning proposal will receive $500 to construct their project in the courtyard of Bauer Wurster Hall and a $500 cash prize. The work will be exhibited publicly and published in the 10th issue of Room One Thousand.

Eligibility
Any current UC Berkeley student (any department, undergraduate or graduate). You may submit individually or as a team. The design must be able to be installed in one day on the grass area of Bauer Wurster Hall courtyard.

Submission Requirements
Please send the following in one pdf document to roomone...@gmail.com with the subject line “Body-made Design-Build Proposal”: Title, Name(s), degree, expected graduation year, an abstract describing the design, constructability, and budget considerations (300 words max), visual representations of your proposal (drawings, renderings, models, and/or sketches).
We recommend including a diagram explaining the construction of your project, with annotations indicating key components of the build.

Competition Deadlines
Proposals due December 31, 2021 at midnight PT
Winner notified: January 17, 2021
Installation: March 2022

Design events
PhD in technical HCI office hour (2021 edition)
Wed Nov 17 10.30-11.30am Eastern Time (7.30-8.30am Pacific Time)

Zoom Link: https://umich.zoom.us/j/97626212410 (will be recorded as well)

This event is designed for students who are in the process of applying for PhD positions and would like to ask faculty questions about anything related to it. More details: https://t.co/aiPrH2Ww1X?amp=1

Design Museum Everywhere's Sketch Series: Explore Design Thinking
Interested in an intimate look into a fashion designer's process? Then you'll want to join us this Thursday, November 18 at 5:30 pm ET for Sketch Series: Explore Design Thinking, an interactive virtual apparel workshop with Fashion Designer Bless and Creative Director/Fiber Artist Noèl Puèllo. This is the closing event for our We Design: People. Practice. Progress. exhibition at Montserrat College of Art. RSVP now for free.

ROAR Fall 2021 S1/S2 Racing Series Competition
Saturday, December 4, 2021

This Fall semester,
Robot Open Autonomous Racing (ROAR™) will hold the S1/S2 (Software Simulation) Racing Series on Saturday, December 4, 2021. We invite you to join us and compete by testing your autonomous AI agent in our software environment. Learn more about the award criteria, guidelines, competition, and submission information here.

RM_1010_competition.pdf