Career Mixer, First Gen & Undocu Students, Summer Opportunities

Lauren Ardis

Mar 11, 2022, 2:18:11 PMMar 11
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Dear Jacobs Community,

Thank you to everyone who participated in yesterday's Big Give fundraising campaign! Though we did not meet our goal of 300 gifts, we were able to raise over $2,000 for the Institute, and saw a record level of participation. You can learn more about the final Big Give numbers across campus here

This week's announcements include a few reminders about upcoming events, including our First Gen & Undocu Student event this Sunday, and upcoming Career Mixer, hosted by Berkeley Arts and Design (A+D).

Have a great weekend!
Lauren

PATHWAYS IN DESIGN FOR FIRST GEN & UNDOCU STUDENTS
THIS SUNDAY!
March 13, 2022
12–4 PM @ Jacobs Hall

Calling all first generation and undocumented students! Are you a creative, hands-on person? Are you interested in a design or technology career? Have you heard talk about laser cutters, 3D printers, and Makerspaces but don’t know where to find them on campus?

We invite you to join us at Jacobs Hall for a special open house designed for you. We will offer hands-on activities to introduce our design and technology resources and show how you can get involved. Learn more by visiting our News and Events page

CREATIVE CAREERS MIXER
Tuesday, March 15, 2022
5–6:30 PM @ Platform Artspace

Join Jacobs with the Berkeley Arts + Design and the Division of Arts & Humanities for their Creative Careers Mixer! This fun networking mixer will give students an opportunity to have explorative conversations with professionals in creative fields including architecture, arts education, arts practice, public art, arts therapy, museums & galleries, technology & design, media & performance, and more.

There will also be free food, art-making activities with the Arts + Design Student Council, resource tables, career counseling, and raffle prizes. The first 35 students to register will receive free tickets to the SF MoMA. Register here

THE MAKER LAUNCHPAD SUMMER PROGRAM
We are excited to announce the launch of a new summer program at the Jacobs Institute, The Maker Launchpad! The program will take place during Berkeley Summer Session D, beginning July 5 through August 12, 2022.

This six-week comprehensive prototyping program is open to anyone interested in sharpening their design prototyping skills and discovering an entry-point into the world of engineering and design. It is also a great way to prepare to apply to the Master of Design program (Berkeley MDes). As with all UC Berkeley summer courses, this program is open to anyone interested in taking courses at UC Berkeley, regardless of their university affiliation or current student status. All participants are required to be in-person, and will gain access to our Makerspace and dedicated studio teaching facilities.

Applications are now open. Learn more about the program details and how to apply today by visiting our Maker Launchpad page.

JACOBS SUMMER 2022 ASE HIRING
The Jacobs Institute is hiring Summer 2022 ASE roles. More information about the available roles and instructions on how to apply are provided on the Jacobs website. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning the second week of March with the goal of filling all positions by the end of April.

Before applying, please review information about the course—including meeting time and content—through the links provided on the website. Please also ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to be an ASE, especially if you are applying to be a first-time GSI. Contact Aleta Martinez at al...@berkeley.edu if you have any questions.

BERKELEY ENGINEERING DESIGN SCHOLAR PROGRAM
The Berkeley Engineering Design Scholar Program is a 10-week summer undergraduate research program. Each Design Scholar is matched with a faculty advisor based on their interests and conducts faculty-guided research. Program benefits include a $5000 stipend, exposure to academic research, a free Maker Pass for the summer, and more.

The Design Scholar program is open to all continuing Berkeley undergraduate students in the College of Engineering, although freshmen are encouraged to wait until their sophomore or junior years to apply. Continuing Berkeley students outside of the College of Engineering with a track record of experience in design will also be considered. Student veterans, persons with disabilities, women, transfer students, and students of color are especially encouraged to apply.

The Design Scholar program will be offered as an in-person, on-campus experience for summer 2022, beginning June 6th and ending August 12th. Some students will be able to participate in Maker Launchpad in conjunction with the Design Scholar program; interested students must apply independently to both programs.

Learn more at designscholar.jacobshall.org. Applications for the summer 2022 cohort are due March 20th at 11:59pm.

DESIGN FIELD NOTES: FOLLOW THE YOUR EXCITEMENT
JOON SHIN, Director of Design @ Joon Care
Tuesday, March 15, 2022
2–3 PM Online

Please join us in welcoming Joon Shin, Director of Design at Joon Care for next week's Design Field Notes lecture. Joon is a Product Designer with 12 years of experience with a background in Industrial Design and Computer Science. Following projects with a mission to bring positive social change, she has worked in various organizations from agencies to large corporations, incubation studios, and nonprofits. These days, she is focused on leading the design efforts at Joon Care, a mental healthcare startup with the mission to make therapy more engaging and accessible for teens and young adults.

This talk is free and open to the public—see you there!