Design jobs & events digest

Amy Dinh

Mar 13, 2021, 10:21:00 AM3/13/21
to Community
Hi all,

Hope this email finds you at the start of a nice weekend! This digest contains a few internship/campus research opportunities, as well as some events to look forward to in the next few weeks. Enjoy!

Community Jobs
  • VR x Mindfulness Internship Opportunity with Dharma College in Berkeley
  • Tactile Interaction Researcher
Events
  • Pear VC x UC Berkeley Founders AMA (3/14)
  • Hang out with BCNM March 15! (3/15)
  • 2nd General Meeting: Design [Careers] at Berkeley (3/18)
  • CivHacks, a virtual hackathon (4/23 - 4/25)
Best,

Amy

Community Jobs
VR x Mindfulness Internship Opportunity with Dharma College in Berkeley

Dharma College is a registered 501(c)3 organization dedicated to researching Asian wisdom traditions and bring them to a western audience. One application of great interest to the College is the use of virtual reality technology to aid in the development of meditation practice. The Tibetan tradition is particularly rich with regard the visual expression, with highly decorated shrines and paintings as a central part of the tradition. These elements are not really art as understood in a western sense; they more properly express teaching cycles (tantras) in visual form. Detailed meditation manuals have been produced about how to work with these materials, particularly with regard to generating internal images based on specific paintings, and using them to enter sublime mental states. These mental states also play an important role in Tibetan medicine, where herbal formulae are combined with specific visualizations.

We are actively looking to find someone who can develop our concept into a virtual reality meditation experience. If you are interested in finding out more information, please contact Director Wangmo Dixey at wdi...@dharma-college.com (subject heading Virtual Reality and Mandalas).

Tactile Interaction Researcher

We are looking for a student who is interested in joining us in developing and testing a low-cost experimental tactile device. The student should have a basic understanding of one or more of the following areas:

  • Physical/Digital User interaction design
  • User Research
  • Haptics
  • AR/VR
  • Electronic/Mechanical(Mechatronic) prototyping
Additionally the student will investigate the underlying science and the methodologies that can shape the project and explore the application of the device in the context of an undergrad robotics lab.

Events
Pear VC x UC Berkeley Founders AMA
March 14 // 5-6 PM PT

Pear VC's partner, Ian Taylor, will share thoughts on the topic, "What investors look for from 0 to 1." During this special event come prepared to learn and ask about what Pear looks for in promising startups. Expect a hefty Q&A portion for startups interested in the $25K Pear Competition.

Winning teams each receive $25K uncapped SAFE and we expect 20 winners. The application is quick. No idea is too early to be considered.

About Pear
The Pear VC team has founded 8 startups and has partnered early with companies now worth over $80 Billion, including Doordash, Branch, Guardant Health, and Gusto. Pear partners with founders from day zero and provides hands-on support to help build the next wave of category-defining companies. A strong belief in student founders is demonstrated by 49% of their portfolio companies being founded by students.

Hang out with BCNM March 15! (3/15)
Monday, March 15 | 1 — 2:00 PM | Online here!
All your questions (on new media) will be answered!

Welcome our new DE and Certificate students to BCNM this March 15! We'll be hanging out on Zoom from 1-2pm and invite you to join us to chat about how your new media education can play a role in your research at Berkeley and beyond. Or simply share your thoughts on pandemic life and/or the program. Your suggestions continue to shape BCNM (see this year's Grad Chats!) and we look forward to making our programs work for you!

RSVP here!

2nd General Meeting: Design [Careers] at Berkeley
We’re hosting our 2nd General Meeting: Design [Careers] at Berkeley next Thursday (3/18) from 6-7:30 pm PST! Our panelists have experience in fields like UX design, web development, product management, and UX writing. Join us if you’re curious about navigating the design industry, or just want to meet some cool new creatives!!

Register at https://lu.ma/dabGM2 anytime before the event to join! We’ll be taking question submissions until Friday at 3:00 PM PST, so register early if you have any specific questions for our speakers.

CivHacks, a virtual hackathon
CivHacks is a virtual hackathon hosted by the Associated Students of the University of California (ASUC), the officially recognized student association at the University of California, Berkeley. In the span of 36 hours, CivHacks gives our participants the opportunity to create new applications, websites, or software projects.

Our focus is on providing a welcoming, engaging and creative environment to support social good in tech culture. UC Berkeley students will form teams to help tackle issues affecting sustainability, civics, student success, and other societal issues. We pride ourselves in helping both beginners and experienced hackers explore technology and develop their skills—with a conscience.

This hackathon will be held on the weekend of April 23rd to 25th. Further information can be found on our website civhacks.com.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Share your design interests and questions via drop-in advisingemail, or scheduled appointment

COVID-19 updates:
  • I am working remotely while shelter-in-place orders are in effect. Please do not hesitate to contact me remotely during this time.
  • Updates regarding Jacobs programs & operations can be found here
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here