Upcoming@Jacobs: events, workshops, and teaching nominations

Amy Dinh

Sep 14, 2022, 7:50:56 PM9/14/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

This week's Upcoming@Jacobs newsletter includes reminders about upcoming speaker, career, and back-to-school events as well as some new skills-building workshops in October for Maker Pass holders. We also invite students to nominate inspiring DES INV course instructors for the campus-wide Distinguished Teaching Award 2023. More below!

Best,

Amy

DISTINGUISHED TEACHING AWARD 2023 NOMINATIONS
The Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation is seeking nominations from students of DES INV course faculty that they would like to nominate for the the campus-wide Distinguished Teaching Award (DTA) 2023

The eligibility and selection criteria for this award are described here. We are seeking nominations for DES INV course instructors only.

If you have taken a DES INV course with an inspirational and impactful professor, please consider nominating them through this anonymous nomination form by Sunday, September 25th. Departments are allowed to nominate one instructor per year; your input will help us decide who that should be. Thanks in advance!

DESIGN FIELD NOTES: GUILLAUME COUCHE (SEPTEMBER 15th)
The Jacobs Design Field Notes speaker series invites a dynamic group of designers, artists, and academics in design-related fields to share their work and practice. This series will be held virtually for the Fall semester on most Thursdays 1-2pm. Each talk is free and open to all students and members of the public. View the full speaker lineup and access Zoom information here. This week's speaker is:

Guillaume Couche
Director, Wolf in Motion
Procrastination as a creative strategy
Thursday, September 15th 1-2pm
Guillaume Couche is the co-founder of Wolf in Motion, a design studio and strategy consultancy helping corporations, universities and NGOs create the products and services of tomorrow. Their most recent work, including a research tool to monitor and save turtles in the Atlantic Ocean, has received 6 iF Design Awards in 2021 and 2022. Prior to that, Guillaume co-founded Gravity Sketch (first 3D creation tool designed for VR and MR) and Notpla (100% renewable and edible seaweed packaging).

JACOBS STUDENT CLUB & DECAL LEADERS ORIENTATION

Calling all student group leaders and DeCal facilitators in the Jacobs community: we invite you to our Student Club & DeCal Leaders Orientation Friday 9/16 11:30-1pm in 10 Jacobs. The goals of this orientation are to:

  • Help student leaders and Jacobs faculty and staff get to know each other
  • Introduce student leaders to Jacobs resources and policies, especially those that are relevant to student group activities
  • Have a discussion regarding your ideas, experiences, and suggestions regarding the student community at Jacobs
Leaders from all clubs and DeCals that are involved in the Jacobs community, or are interested in getting more involved, are invited to attend (each club/decal should send at least one representative). Register here.

FIRST GEN/UNDOCU STUDENT ORIENTATION
Friday 9/23 | 12-2pm | Meet at Jacobs patio (south side of building)

Join us for our annual First Generation and Undocumented Student Orientation at the Jacobs Institute of Design and Innovation. This orientation day is specifically designed for first gen and/or  undocu students; we will provide a detailed overview of Jacobs resources, courses, makerspace, personalized tours, and a free lunch. Make sure to join us to learn more about us and how to join our community. Hope to see you there!

CAREER CHAT WITH EVIE CHEUNG, SENIOR SERVICE DESIGNER AT FROG
September 22, 12-1pm | Virtual | Registration required for Zoom meeting
Don’t miss this Career Chat with Evie Cheung, a Senior Service Designer at frog. Evie will give an overview of what Service Design is and will share a bit about her career journey. Come with questions as we'll save plenty of time for Q&A! Want to learn more about what Service Design is before the event? Check out this blog post. :)

SKILLS-BUILDING WORKSHOPS
The Jacobs Institute facilitates a number of workshops throughout the semester, hosted by participating clubs, MDes students, Design Fellows, and our Makerspace staff. Workshops are a great way to become acquainted with a new skill, learn more about the resources and materials available at Jacobs, and connect with our community! Go here for full information and look out out for these two upcoming workshops in October:
  • 10/7: Devilish Decorations: A Ghastly Lifecasting Primer (in makerspace*)
  • 10/21: Take a Seat! (in makerspace*)
*Virtual workshops are open to all members of the UC Berkeley community, regardless of Maker Pass status. In-person workshops that use Jacobs Makerspace facilities or equipment are reserved for current Maker Pass holders.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here