Design Opportunities Digest: Events!

Amy Dinh

Apr 7, 2021, 6:28:28 PM4/7/21
to Community
Hi Jacobs community,

Here are some upcoming design-related events below from the virtual Berkeley campus community that might interest you!

Design Events
  • Upcoming Virtual Events at the School of Information (4/7 and 4/9)
  • Design@Berkeley General Meeting #3: Design [Portfolios] (4/8)
  • Breaking Into Product Management Panel (4/8)
  • Innovative Design | HEX: Hone & Explore Workshops (4/10 - 4/11)
  • Grad Chat: Alt Academic Careers (4/15)
Best,

Amy

Design Events
Upcoming Virtual Events at the School of Information
Here are some events coming up next week at the School of Information. Check out more upcoming events here.

Values by Design Imaginaries: Exploring Values Work in UX Practice

Richmond Wong presents his dissertation research on the relationships between design practices and social values. This work uses speculative design — the creation of conceptual designs to generate reflection and discussion — in relation to social values in multiple ways, including provoking discussion, sparking reflection, and acting as a qualitative research method. Event details.

Wednesday, April 7, 4:00 – 5:30 pm PDT, on Zoom.

INFORMATION ACCESS SEMINAR

Local to Global: E-Reserves at UC Berkeley

Join Susan Edwards, Gisèle Tanasse, Lynne Grigsby, and Salwa Ismail for a discussion of how the Library adapted its service model, through a complex and creative mix of in-house scanning, controlled digital lending via HathiTrust Digital Library, reformatting to streaming video, and licensing for all formats across all the ten UC campuses. Event details.

Friday, April 9, 3:10 – 5:00 pm PDT, on Zoom.

Design@Berkeley General Meeting #3: Design [Portfolios]

For our 3rd General Meeting: Design [Portfolios] you’ll have the opportunity to get constructive feedback + critique on your portfolio from industry designers + fellow students! This will be next Thursday (4/8) from 6-7:30pm PST

RSVP + submit your portfolio at lu.ma/dabgm3! Please submit your portfolio for review by 3pm on 4/7 - you do not have to submit a portfolio to come join though!! Hope to see you there.

Breaking Into Product Management Panel

DiversaTech is hosting a Breaking Into Product Management speaker panel, featuring four PMs from various academic backgrounds and diverse experiences! Here's an article about product design vs product management if you'd like to learn more about PMs. More info attached in flyer below!

Also, this event is open to all university students (not only UC Berkeley students). The registration link can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/DTxBreakingIntoPM. Hope to see you there!

Innovative Design | HEX: Hone & Explore Workshops

Innovative Design presents HEX: Hone & Explore, a weekend of free, virtual workshops where students can learn various creative skills! Our workshops cover topics in graphic design, web design, photography, and more!

The event is open to all students, alumni, friends, and family - with no experience necessary. Workshops are 1 hour long, running from 11am-4pm PT on Saturday, 4/10 and 11am-3pm PT on Sunday, 4/11 on Zoom.

More info:
https://hex.innovativedesign.club
Register:
http://tiny.cc/hex-sp21

Grad Chat: Alt Academic Careers

Featuring

  • Jennifer Lowe, Writer and Senior Manager at Braavo (UCB BA ‘09, Anthropology)
  • Dan Perkel, Director of IDEO San Francisco (UCB Ph.D ‘11, Information Management and Systems; BCNM DE)
  • Aylon Samouha, Co-founder of Transcend Education (BCNM Advisory Board Member)
Moderated by Gail De Kosnik, BCNM Director

Register here.

BCNM hosts our second Grad Chat, a special conversation focused on alt academic careers with Berkeley grads Jennifer Lowe (Writer, Braavo), Dan Perkel (Director, IDEO SF), and BCNM Advisory Board Member Aylon Samouha (Co-founder, Transcend Education). This event will be held in a meeting format, and audience questions are encouraged. A perfect event for those approaching the job market or interested in exploring creative careers outside of academia. We hope to see you there!

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Share your design interests and questions via drop-in advisingemail, or scheduled appointment

COVID-19 updates:
  • I am working remotely while shelter-in-place orders are in effect. Please do not hesitate to contact me remotely during this time.
  • Updates regarding Jacobs programs & operations can be found here
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
dt_pm_panel.jpg

Amy Dinh

Apr 7, 2021, 6:48:26 PM4/7/21
to Community
Hello again,

I learned about another great design event right after I sent out the digest. It's coming up in a few days, so I wanted to share it below instead of waiting to put it into the next digest. Enjoy!

Black Design: Past, Present, Future
April 9-10, 2021

DFA National is excited to attend, sponsor, and collaborate with Black Design: Past, Present Future. Two days. Countless opportunities. Speakers, panel discussions, development sessions, and presentations at the intersection of race and practice. Plus a massive career fair. And all of it is FREE.

Best,

Amy