Upcoming @ Jacobs: MDes Graduate Exhibition, end of semester cleanup, summer programs, fall fellowships and grant programs

Amy Dinh

May 12, 2022, 8:45:20 PM5/12/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

Congratulations on wrapping up another unprecedented and extraordinary semester! And extra big congratulations to all of the new soon-to-be graduates! In next week's newsletter, we will have more information about how to stay in touch with Jacobs as an alum--stay tuned. For now, check out some of these upcoming events, opportunities, and announcements.

Best,

Amy

T-0: PIONEERS -- MASTER OF DESIGN GRADUATE EXHIBITION (MAY 16-17)
We are pleased to present T-0: PIONEERS, the graduate exhibition of the inaugural cohort of the MDes program. This exhibition highlights the culminating projects of the graduating MDes Class of Spring 2022 and celebrates their accomplishments as they finish the program and chart their next steps. We invite you join us at one or both of the following events:

Opening Reception, Monday, May 16th, 5–7 PM, 310 Jacobs Hall

Public Exhibition, Tuesday, May 17th 12–5 PM, 310 Jacobs Hall

END OF SEMESTER TEACHING STUDIO AND MAKERSPACE CLEANUP

At the end of each semester, we clear out our teaching studios and makerspaces in order to provide a clean slate for the next term of students and instructors.

Spring Maker Pass holders, be sure to remove your materials from the Jacobs makerspace by tomorrow (Friday, May 13) at 7pm. Students and instructors who used the Jacobs teaching studios for courses, meetings, events, etc., please remove all of your materials as well by next Friday, May 20th. If you need to access materials in 310 Jacobs, please contact us to arrange a pickup time, since the room is currently being used by our MDes graduates for their work.

The Jacobs Makerspace will reopen for summer access on May 31st. More details to come in next week's newsletter!

MAKER LAUNCHPAD SUMMER PROGRAM

There is still time to apply for the Maker Launchpad program, offered during Berkeley Summer Session D (July 5–August 12). This six-week comprehensive prototyping program is open to anyone interested in sharpening their design prototyping skills and discovering an entry-point into the world of engineering and design. It is also a great way to prepare for the Master of Design program (Berkeley MDes). Enrollment in DES INV 22 Prototyping & Fabrication and DES INV 23 Creative Programming & Electronics this summer is exclusively reserved for Maker Launchpad participants.

As with all UC Berkeley summer courses, this program is open to anyone with a GED who is interested in taking courses at UC Berkeley, regardless of their university affiliation or current student status. All participants are required to be in-person, and will gain access to our Makerspace and dedicated studio teaching facilities. Learn more and apply here!

FALL 2022 INNOVATION CATALYSTS APPLICATIONS

Did you work on a project or idea this semester that you don't want to say goodbye to? Check out the Jacobs Institute Innovation Catalysts student grant program, which provides an avenue

for students to unlock further potential in their projects, with up to $2000 of funding and other resources. The application for the fall 2022 cohort will open later this summer. Review the grant program website now so that you can plan ahead about your grant proposal and sign up for email alerts here so that you hear as soon as the application is open.

TRANSCENDING BEYOND BERKELEY FELLOWSHIP 2022-2023 -- APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED

Berkeley students who are Dream Aid recipients and/or undocumented are invited to apply to the Transcending Beyond Berkeley Fellowship 2022-2023, organized by the Undocumented Students Program. Work authorization is not required.

TBB Fellows partner with campus units to gain professional development experience; the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation is seeking 1-2 new Fellows to join our returning Fellows next year. We invite eligible students to apply for one or both of the positions hosted at Jacobs: Program & Operations Fellow or Makerspace Student Supervisor & Outreach Fellow.

For the application and more information, visit this link. The application deadline has been extended to May 17th.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here