Upcoming@Jacobs: Design Showcase, spring meeting space, spring Design Field notes

Amy Dinh

Nov 23, 2022, 3:24:08 PM11/23/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

Here are some things to look forward to at Jacobs after the holiday weekend, including the Jacobs & MDes Design Showcase, signing up for spring resources, and a reminder about the Jacobs Hall closures for Thanksgiving/Native American Heritage Day.

Have a restful long weekend and see you next week!

Amy

JACOBS & MDES WINTER DESIGN SHOWCASE (DEC 7-9)
The schedule for the Jacobs & MDes Winter Design Showcase on December 7-9 is now ready! Preview the courses, groups, and programs presenting here and RSVP here

This winter our showcase will feature projects, prototypes and research from students in Design Innovation, Civil Engineering, Engineering, Development Engineering Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, and School of Information classes at Jacobs Hall; our Master of Design program (including our graduating Fall 2022 cohort); as well as projects by our Innovation Catalysts grant recipients.

PRESENT YOUR WORK AT THE DESIGN SHOWCASE
In addition to featuring projects from Jacobs-affiliated courses and programs, we encourage individuals, student groups, and DeCals in the Jacobs community to share their work at the Jacobs & MDes Winter Design Showcase. Leaders of student clubs and DeCals, and individual students, please sign up here as soon as possible if you wish to participate in the showcase and we will follow up with you!

NOW ACCEPTING CLUB/DECAL MEETING SPACE REQUESTS FOR SPRING 2023
Jacobs Hall provides teaching & meeting space for DeCals and student clubs exploring human-centered design and emerging technology. The priority deadline for Spring 2023 teaching space and club meeting space requests is Friday, December 2nd, 2022; applications submitted after that date will be considered on a rolling basis. Room reservations start on the third week of the semester (week of January 29th) through the final week of class (week of April 23rd). You can access the DeCal teaching space request form and the club meeting space request form via the following links:
DESIGN FIELD NOTES RETURNS IN SPRING 2023
Last week was the last Design Field Notes speaker of the fall semester! The series will return in in the spring semester on Thursdays 10-12am PST.

Look out for announcements through this mailing list or on the Design Field Notes series page in January for the new speaker lineup. Also, remember that Design Field Notes can be taken as a 1 unit lecture series course called DES INV 95.

HOLIDAY CLOSURE
Please note these upcoming closures of Jacobs Hall building and services due to upcoming administrative holidays. During these dates, all of Jacobs Hall (teaching studios, makerspace, and staff/faculty offices) will be closed.

Thanksgiving/Native American Heritage Day closure Wednesday 11/23 starting at 3 PM through Sunday 11/27; normal operating hours resume Monday 11/28.

Pause on JPS/SSP submission for Fall Break- JPS will be closed for the aforementioned fall break (11/23-11/28), and therefore we will stop taking submission for fabrication (including 3DPOS prints) this Friday the 18th at 5pm. Prints and JPS submissions can still be picked up until we close for the break on the 23rd.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here