Tomorrow: BCDI Info Session and Other Upcoming Deadlines

Lauren Ardis

Mar 17, 2022, 7:43:07 PM3/17/22
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Dear Jacobs Community,

Here are a few things to know before we head into spring break, including an info session for the Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation happening tomorrow, and more on the upcoming deadline for the Engineering Design Scholars Program. And please make sure to note the available ASE roles still available for this summer.

As a reminder, here are the Makerspace hours for the break, beginning with this Saturday, March 19
• Saturday 3/19 + Sunday 3/20 — CLOSED
• Monday 3/21 – Thursday 3/24 – OPEN 8:30 AM – 7 PM
• Friday 3/25 – CLOSED in observance of Cesar Chavez Day
• Saturday 3/26 + Sunday 3/27 – CLOSED

JPS pick-up hours for Monday 3/21 – Thursday 3/24 are: 11 AM – 1 PM and 4–6 PM each day.

Have a great week off!
Lauren

BCDI INFORMATION AND Q&A SESSION
TOMORROW: Friday, March 18
3–4 PM

Have questions about the Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation (BCDI)? Join us tomorrow for an info and Q&A session, led by Tyshon Rogers, the BCDI Student Services Advisor. Tyshon will go over questions about fulfilling the certificate requirements, BCDI courses offered this summer, future course availability, student resources, and more!

WHAT IS THE BCDI?! The Berkeley Certificate in Design Innovation (BCDI) assumes that innovation does not come from just one area of study, but requires the integration of many modes of technology, knowledge, and thought. The cross-disciplinary, cross-departmental partnership between the College of Environmental Design, the College of Engineering, the Haas School of Business, and the College of Letters and Sciences Arts and Humanities Division hopes to guide undergraduate students across UC Berkeley’s campus to the critical need for design thinking, regardless of their major.

BERKELEY ENGINEERING DESIGN SCHOLAR PROGRAM
Application deadline: THIS Sunday, March 20 @11:59 PM
Learn more and apply here

The Berkeley Engineering Design Scholar Program is a 10-week summer undergraduate research program. Each Design Scholar is matched with a faculty advisor based on their interests and conducts faculty-guided research. Program benefits include a $5000 stipend, exposure to academic research, a free Maker Pass for the summer, and more.

The Design Scholar program is open to all continuing Berkeley undergraduate students in the College of Engineering, although freshmen are encouraged to wait until their sophomore or junior years to apply. Continuing Berkeley students outside of the College of Engineering with a track record of experience in design will also be considered. Student veterans, persons with disabilities, women, transfer students, and students of color are especially encouraged to apply.

The Design Scholar program will be offered as an in-person, on-campus experience in summer 2022, starting June 6th and ending August 12th. Some students will be able to participate in Maker Launchpad in conjunction with the Design Scholar program; interested students must apply independently to both programs.

JACOBS SUMMER 2022 ASE HIRING

We are currently hiring for two GSI positions for the summer: DES INV 22, Prototyping & Fabrication and DES INV 23, Creative Programming & Electronics. Both courses are offered in Session D (July 5–August 12), and are the two courses offered in our Maker Launchpad Summer Program. If you've ever wanted to work as a GSI, this is a great opportunity to be part of a new program at the Jacobs Institute!

Learn more here and apply today! Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting now! Before applying, please

review information about the course and ensure you meet the eligibility requirements. Contact Aleta Martinez at al...@berkeley.edu if you have any questions.

MAKER LAUNCHPAD SUMMER PROGRAM

Make sure to get your application in for the Maker Launchpad, our new summer program offered during Session D (July 5–August 12). This program offers two courses, DES INV 22 + 23, and is open to all interested applicants. Learn more and apply here!

Lauren Ardis

Mar 17, 2022, 7:49:05 PM3/17/22
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

This just in! Sorry for the double email, but please also have a look at the updates from our current Innovation Catalysts cohort, including ways you can help support project missions.

PRANA

Congratulations to the team behind Prana, who were awarded the Silver Winner prize by MUSE Design Awards. Learn more.

EMPATHIE

Empathie, a Spark grant project from the current semester’s cohort, is a self-guided learning app with a mission to empower our community to uncover the “why” behind our thoughts and behaviors that might be influenced by our cultural backgrounds. The app includes bite-sized video tutorials and habit-building activities created by licensed therapists that provide additional perspective to topics such as family, self-compassion, and more. Learn more about how you can use Empathie to find greater balance in life here: https://www.empathie.care/

P.S. Want to support Empathie’s mission? Share about Empathie with your friends!

Share Empathie with friends, colleagues, or anyone who might be interested in our self-guided learning app that teaches racial minorities how to navigate life situations involving family, day-to-day interactions, self-compassion, and other stresses. We add a perspective that’s inclusive of an individual’s culture.

Website: www.empathie.care

Instagram: @empathie.care

TikTok: @empathiecare
--