Upcoming@Jacobs: summer makerspace access, alumni community, and MDes student and graduation news

Amy Dinh

May 20, 2022, 6:16:45 PMMay 20
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

Summer is here! Congratulations again to everyone for wrapping up the school year; we hope you have fun summer plans awaiting you. This newsletter contains some useful info for continuing students who are interested in makerspace access this summer, but also includes info about how all of our new alumni can stay a part of the Jacobs community, and news from our Master of Design program. Read on for more details!

Best,

Amy

SUMMER MAKERSPACE ACCESS

As mentioned in last week's Jacobs newsletter, the makerspace is currently closed for maintenance and cleanup. Summer Maker Pass registration will open on Monday, May 23rd, and the first day of summer Maker Pass and JPS access is Tuesday, May 31st.

The Maker Pass registration process and fees for the summer are the same as for the fall and spring, but the Maker Pass hours and schedule are different for the summer. Key dates are below; more details can be found on the Making at Jacobs page and Our Space page.

  • First day of summer Maker Pass registration: May 23rd
  • First day of summer Maker Pass & JPS access: May 31st
  • Last day of summer access: August 12th
  • Maker Pass hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am-7:00pm

STAY IN TOUCH, ALUMNI!

Even if you are graduating, we hope you will stay connected with the Jacobs community. You can:Whether you are coming back next year or striking out into the world, enjoy the adventure and keep in touch!

MDES COMMENCEMENT RECAP

Earlier this week, the Berkeley Master of Design celebrated the graduation of our inaugural cohort of 21 inspiring, talented, and pioneering students. We thank them for their contributions in establishing the foundations for the MDes community and wish them luck in their next endeavors! Thank you for friends, family, and supporters who came to commencement events this week. You can learn more about the graduates from their Frozen in Time exhibition video or reading their bios.

MDES STUDENT AWARDS
Our outgoing and ongoing Master of Design students continue to receive accolades for their work! Here are some recent awards that members of our first and second cohort received recently:

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here